Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Munich, is it possible to go to Garmish and the Zugsitze and return to Munich in one day??

Search

Going to Munich, is it possible to go to Garmish and the Zugsitze and return to Munich in one day??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!!! My husband and I will be going to Munich next Sept to pick up our new BMW!! (YEA!) We will be there for 10 days. I have been reading up on things to do and it seems like the sites in Munich (and surrounding towns) could take up our entire time. I do want to go to Garmisch and go to the Zugspitze peak but I would like to return to our hotel in Munich. (The thought of moving to several hotels is not very appealing) I know that Garmisch is only 1 1/2 hours from Munich, but can we drive there and do the sites and return in one day??? Any advice would be great thanks!!
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Yes, but I would get a car and stay 3 nites in Garmisch or Oberammergau.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:22 AM

We just returned from a whirlwind trip (Sept. 28-Oct 12) that included Munich and parts of eastern Europe. We had 4 nights in Munich and took one day to do Fussen and Neuschwanstein (King Ludwig's Castle). It is a longer drive than Garmisch and we didn't get an early start but made it back to the hotel in Munich by 8:30 pm. We didn't feel rushed. Garmisch is a straight shot from Munich on the autobahn. I would have loved to do what Bob is suggesting, but we didn't have the time with the other plans. Buon Viaggio.
Old Nov 4th, 2003, 11:12 PM

You can definitely do the Zugspitze in 1 day, especially zipping down the A95 to Garmisch in your bew bimmer. This Autobahn is actually my favorite, because it's the least traveled, so you can really open it up. Though, technically, you can only do about 100 mph during the break-in period (first 1,200 miles).

If you're really adventurous (and in decent physical shape), I'd recommend an alpine hike (somewhere near Tegernsee) instead of taking the Seidelbahn up to the Zugspitze. There's a greater sense of self-accomplishment and it's a great workout.

I replied to your other post about weather in Munich (Sept. vs. April), where I recommended April, but I hadn't realized you were doing BMW European Delivery (one of the best experiences one can have). I think the most important issue is whether you want an '04 or and '05 BMW. '05 production would likely start at the end of September or early October, so going in September may land you one of the last '04 builds.
If you're getting a 3-series, I think they are getting the big re-design in '05 or '06 (some people fear this, given the looks of the new 5 and 7), so you should look into this and see which style you prefer. A quick search on bimmerfest.com/forums will give you the answer, I am sure.

best of luck.
Steve
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 05:13 AM

We were scheduled in Sept 2001 to pick up our new 2001 5-series. In late July/early August, the dealer called me to say that they stopped production of the 5-series for retooling for the 2002 models, and I was out of luck. He told me that that had never happened to anyone he's heard of before. Having already purchased non-refundable tickets, we just went on vacation anyway. Ended up going back in June 2002 to pick up the car. Until you actually get that VIN number, anything can happen. Hopefully this won't happen to you.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 05:32 AM

You must do Garmisch-P ! It's less than an hour drive once you leave the city of Munchkin. The road is excellent and not at all crowded except in summer. The train ride to the top of the Zugspitze is a tad lengthy and will take up most of the day. I've been there, done that, and once is plenty. Having done it, I'd rather spend the day walking the Fussganger zones (walkways) of Mittenwald (10 mi? to the east) or Oberammergau. -suggest you spend a night or two in the south. Hotel Zugspitze is a 4 star hotel in Garmisch and very nice and reasonable at about E100 for a double. If you stay in a Hotel Garni (meaning only breakfast) you can have a little more contact with the German people who own/operate it. Nearly every room comes with breakfast and prices include tax so they are even more reasonable than they appear. Most Germans speak some English (some as well as you, no doubt) but it's always best to start off with a little Deutsche. They'll ask you in English, "What do you want?" The typical greeting in Bavaria is: "Grüss Gott!" meaning God's greeting. Bavarians greet everyone, even strangers, unless they think you're American and don't know any better. Always greet shopkeepers, waiters, etc, when you enter a store and so forth. ...I'm rambling. Do Garmisch, Oberammergau, Mittenwald, Bad Tölz. You won't regret it.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:27 AM

Weeeee'rreee off to see the wizard - the wonderful wizard of "Munchkin"! ;-)

Seriously, make sure you check the weather before you leave Munich to go up the Zugspitze because it's really the best when the day is clear! We spent half a day going up and eating lunch and enjoying the view. It was April and packed with skiers - really a great experience. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice!! My husband calls it Munchkin too!! Oh, well. Now we are considering moving around, not staying only in Munich. So I appreciate the advice regarding hotels!! I am sooo excited!!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 12:28 PM

I would definatley not stay in Munich more than 3-4 nights. Go to Salzburg and stay a couple nights, go to garmisch and spend 3 nights. Explore the little towns in the area. Mittenwald is very cute. There is alot to do in Garmisch...some great hikes too. YOu might also drive up the romantic road and stay in Rothenburg. YOu have the car so you really should take advantage of it!
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 02:44 PM
uuhhhh

that would be gute reise, rocco.