Go to Castello Aragonese d'Ischia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So our plan is to travel to Italy. We're pretty open to the where right now but we know we're going to Naples(my boyfriend's family connections are from there) and flying into Rome and 12 to 14 days later(still trying to decide our time table) fly out of Milan.

As of now, the plan is to go to fly into Rome and travel straight to Naples by train(annoying but we're using to 'fly into place and then travel to other place' and a trip straight to Naples is just very expensive). We'll spend, probably a couple day in Naples and the 'smart' plan is to just go north from there and continue north

But I'd really love to go to Castello Aragonese d'Ischia and just visit Ischia in general as it seems very unique(my boyfriend loves beaches, I love unique places and castles).

The issue is, it's just not in the way. And getting from Ischia to...anywhere....is kinda...not easy and basically adds two days to the trip(getting there, leaving there, basically is 3 hours both ways so might as well stay there).

Is there ANYWAY to fit Ischia into a trip? Is there some place I'm thinking of flying into that might actually makes this easier? Or should I just sacrifice Ischia because, honestly, it's the 'smarter' move for the trip? Is it really even worth it or do I just have romanticized googles on?
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 08:28 PM

Getting to Ischia is easy from Naples, just take the ferry. It sounds as though you mean three hours each way to and from Ischia from Naples. Maybe I'm reading that wrong? That's the time round-trip, 1-1/2 hour each way. Ischia is certainly worth visiting overnight (I spent four nights there). Naples is also worth more than a couple of days. There's a lot to see there in addition to the pizza (although the pizza shouldn't be missed! 😀 ). But what are you planning to do in between Naples and Milan and how many nights do you need for that, and how many nights are you planning for Milan?

Last edited by SusanP; Jul 22nd, 2023 at 08:34 PM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 10:57 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thanks for the info! I thought it was 3 hours + one way. So that's great to know.

Well before I discovered Ischia, the plan was Naples(2-3 days, though sounds like we at least need 3), Rome(2 days, again not the biggest lover of Rome), Florence(2 days) and Milan(3 days). But we're still in the early stages and deciding how long we're going for(at least 12 days, hopefully 14, so there is room built in and have to account for travel and such).

We're looking to go in October, so . But Ischia looks so different and not one of the 'everyone goes there' places. I know I at least want to do Naples and Milan, as I've never been. He wants to do Rome. I could sacrifice Florence, even though I love it. But I've been there, and I do want to see NEW places and we can't skip Rome. Five cities(if i include Ischia) is a lot after all. So yeah....now I'm leaning to dropping Florence.

Tough choices! I also didn't go to Cinque Terre last time i was in Italy but at this point, it doesn't seem like I'll be doing it this time either. Though that also looks beautiful so maybe it might be easier to go there(after Rome) instead of going to Ischia? Have you been to Cinque Terre? Since you've been to Ischia, which would you prefer?

So many places to pick from, so little time!

Last edited by JKline1229; Jul 22nd, 2023 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2023, 11:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
October may not be hot on the beach but https://www.ischiareview.com/le-fumarole-beach.html is a way to warm up there.

I like Milan but unless you love clothes, opera, da Vinci, football I'd consider elsewhere like Venice, Siena, Lucca, Padova, Ravena, Bologna, Turino (but you may already have Milan as your return airport.

Ischia is very different to 5T, on the other hand the boat trips along the coast of 5T keep going into October (weather permitting)
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Does Ischia have less to do in October?

Hmm, is there any place close enough to Milan that we can fly out of there still. It just seems like that's the 'cheapest' to fly out of since we aren't going to do a roundtrip from Rome.

Last edited by JKline1229; Jul 23rd, 2023 at 06:14 AM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 08:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JKline1229
Does Ischia have less to do in October?

Hmm, is there any place close enough to Milan that we can fly out of there still. It just seems like that's the 'cheapest' to fly out of since we aren't going to do a roundtrip from Rome.
All Italian seaside resorts get quieter in the shoulder seasons, if the warmth continues it may still be good to swim. Of course it depends on what you like to do.

You would need to tell us where you are returning to for us to be able to offer anything. The bigger international airports are Rome, Milan and Venice
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 09:17 AM

Cinque Terre is not easier to get to. The shortest train ride from Naples is nearly nine hours with one change. Also, five places are a lot with your timeframe.
From your last response, did you mean you are considering not going to Milan? If so, you could save that for another trip that could include Cinque Terre and other more northern destinations.
Presumably you haven't booked flights yet, since you're not positive about the number of days. It's easier if you think in terms of the number of nights. I didn't find it a lot more expensive to fly into Florence. If Rome is a lot cheaper to fly out of than Naples, you need to end the trip there. One possibility:

Fly into Florence
3 nights Florence
Train to Naples/Ferry to Ischia, 3 nights there
Ferry back to Naples, 4 nights there
3 nights Rome

Just something to think about.
Old Jul 23rd, 2023, 06:52 PM

Hi JK,
We will eventually post a substantial TR/foto essay on our past March Amalfi coast visit, which saw us based in Minori and then *Ischia Ponte. In both locales we did many daytrips.
The castle is interesting, with really compelling vistas. Will its 2 cafes still be open in October? Dunno. Will Negombo Spa also still be open then (a worthy consideration)? Again, dunno.

Ischia eats:
-move heaven and earth to eat at 'Aglio, Olio e Pomodoro'; outstanding food and VG service in a good location (ie stroll the 'bridge' area and/or actually go up to visit the nearby Castle) *added value: cool bookstore 'Imagaenaria' is next door
-Vittoria Gran Caffe offers an excellent variety of pastries inside or out.
-in the 'Porto' main port/harbour's Riva destre/Right bank--'Un attimo di Vino' is a unique experience in that Sicilian-born owner chef Raimondo makes an extra effort to match vines and his dishes.
-back in Ponte...'BisBoccia' is owned and run by the same family that has run the bakery/mini-supermarket across the way for decades; VG food; enclosed during colder months.
*be sure to visit the nearby isle of Procida (15 min ferry) and dine there on their iconic little harbor, the one shown in the movie 'Il Postino'; truly a must.

ISCHIA LODGINGS (blue coz its right on the waterfront)
We did not pay too too much in Minori but chose to splurge as never before in Ischia Ponte. So glad we did.
'Exclusive Home Ischia' is a family-run pair of adjoining modern apartments in Ischia Ponte. The Contes have appointed their lovely daughter Gabriella as their main contact, and her brother Pierre-Mario also assists. We rented the spotless unit called 'Aquamarina', which had an outdoors hot tub. Shutterbugs note: that unit has the single most awesome view of the castle, world-class by any measure!! Fans of 'My Brilliant Friend' take note, that some scenes were shot in the courtyard.
Its an excellent location for restaurants, buses, ATMs, groceries, shopping, pharmacy, beaches, visiting the Castle and more. The Contes will spoil you, trust me.
Again, uncheap but worth every penny. The sound of waves just below...that view. Sigh...

You can keep Capri.

I am done. the isle
Old Jul 24th, 2023, 02:25 AM

Hi there. We went to Ischia last year in August on a daytrip from Naples and loved it. It was a little confusing but ultimately worth it. We took the morning ferry from Naples, spent the day at the Poseidon water park, and then returned to Naples by ferry. We liked it so much that we are spending two nights there this September.

If you need to get from Naples to Milan and want to do something fun, I recommend the night train from Salerno to Milan! We did it in April and for 70 euros per person got a bed and breakfast. Leave Salerno at 11:30 PM and arrive at 10:10 AM.
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for all these replies! Sorry I haven't been able to reply back. Busy week!(This is why I need a vacation!)

@You would need to tell us where you are returning to for us to be able to offer anything. The bigger international airports are Rome, Milan and Venice
We'd be flying out of/into any of the three New York airports

Cinque Terre is not easier to get to. The shortest train ride from Naples is nearly nine hours with one change. Also, five places are a lot with your timeframe.
From your last response, did you mean you are considering not going to Milan? If so, you could save that for another trip that could include Cinque Terre and other more northern destinations.
Presumably you haven't booked flights yet, since you're not positive about the number of days. It's easier if you think in terms of the number of nights. I didn't find it a lot more expensive to fly into Florence. If Rome is a lot cheaper to fly out of than Naples, you need to end the trip there. One possibility:

​​​​​​​Fly into Florence
3 nights Florence
Train to Naples/Ferry to Ischia, 3 nights there
Ferry back to Naples, 4 nights there
3 nights Rome

Just something to think about.
That's a nice suggestion schedule for you! Definitely will think on it! It's all about the 'flight price'. Our ideal situation would be use points; points on flight and then points on at least on hotel(which we could do with a few of the plans we have).

​​​​​​​ you need to get from Naples to Milan and want to do something fun, I recommend the night train from Salerno to Milan! We did it in April and for 70 euros per person got a bed and breakfast. Leave Salerno at 11:30 PM and arrive at 10:10 AM.
Oooo, that could be a great plan. And it would mean we could check out Salerno...

Ugh damn you Italy. Even though I've been to you before there is still so many other places to go!

Might be time to get some new travel books!
Old Jul 26th, 2023, 04:18 PM

We will be in Naples and Ischia in early September, then taking the train from Naples to Milan. It's just five hours with a lot of departure options. Lately I've been in endless lines in European airports and so we decided we will try the train this time. Go to Italia Rail to see your options. If you've been to Florence perhaps this is a good time to try a new place?