Search

Ischia Hotel Europa, Ischia Ponte & Casamicola

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ischia Hotel Europa, Ischia Ponte & Casamicola

Anyone stayed at the Hotel Europa?
Can you tell me about it? Also, are there some good low cost restaurants in Ischia Ponte & Casamicola?
thanks
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 08:03 AM

Hi Gipsy: I don't know about hotels in Ischia because we always stay with our family. Ischia Ponte is a great place to stay and the hotel looks good. I wouldn't worry.

As for inexpensive restaurants. Ischia is not as expensive as Capri or Naples and especially not as expensive as the Amalfi Coast so it won't be hard. I always suggest walking off the main streets and wandering. I haven't been to Ischia Ponte in a couple of years, but the last time we were in the village my cousin took us to a bakery down an alley off the main street where the bookstore is. They make their bread by hand. D-e-l-i-sh.

Also when you are preparing to take the aliscafo...make sure it isn't bad weather. If it is...take it from me....take the large ferry that takes cars...traghetto. Twice I have taken the aliscafo in bad weather and never thought I would live through it...NEVER again. It was so bad the locals were screaming, things were flying around the cabin and people were throwing up.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Hello Gipsy.

We will stay at the Europa in the middle of May.

Check out TripAdvisor.com, you will find many good reviews. It seems a very good place for a reasonable price.
Old Oct 9th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Europa in Ischia (Gipsy/Roman74)? Are there restaurants nearby?
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 07:16 AM

Haven't stayed at the Europa, but we do live within sight of it - if that's good enough?

The oldest part of Ischia Ponte, towards the Castello Aragonese, is within easy walking distance and there you'll find perhaps 6 or 7 restauarants as well as three or four cafe/bars.

In the other direction, about a mile and a half away, there are mayve a couple of dozen along the waterside 'Riva Destra' in Ischia Porto's harbour.

Particularly in Ponte, things will go a little quieter after the end of this month - when were you thinking of?

Peter
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Oops - I've now seen your other post... it's next June!
Peter
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM

Thank you Peter for the information. We have decided to stay in the Ischia Porto area as it should be easier to get the bus around the island. Good to know there are plenty of restaurants in Ischia Porto near the harbor.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
my italian teacher comes from Ischia!

just thought I'd mention it!
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 03:11 PM

A_Brit_In_Ischia: It's nice to have someone who lives in Ischia to give information. Some people are not sure about visiting Ischia and have incorrect information about it. We come a couple of times a year to see our family. Since it's a little know island to Americans, it's nice to have someone on the board that knows what's going on month by month.

I can't tell you how many times we say our family is in Ischia and people look at us and say....Where? Where is that?....
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 09:11 AM

annhig - hi!

Took us a while to discover it, but there are at least a couple of groups of Ischians scattered around the UK - one of the families we know has relatives near Peterborough, and a long series of youngsters have worked in various restaurants etc in and around Leeds. As Ann1 says though, the general reaction we get with people from home is "Where?" !

Peter
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM

So true! Before my own trip, I was getting responses like, "Oh, Ibiza!!" or "Isn't that the place with the all-night raves?"
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM

Hi, Ann1 - two of you Anns, both with Ischia connections, that's quite a coincidence?

I'll do my best to pass on what we've picked up over the years!

If your family moved away at some point, perhaps you've been back on Ischia for the "Pe' terre assaje luntane" festival? We used to live in the street where they hold it, mid-September time - so here are a few photos from over the years..

http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/emigrants

Peter
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM

Hi Ann1 and Peter!

<<Hi, Ann1 - two of you Anns, both with Ischia connections, that's quite a coincidence?>>

I don't think that i can really claim an Ischia connection for myself, but I'm happy to do so vicariously.

it's certainly a place that i would consider visiting now, whereas I wouldn't have been likely to before i met my teacher. [who also taught my daughter Italian for her IB about 4 years ago - another co-incidence].
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM

A_Brit_In_Ischia: Actually my father-in-law is the only one in the family who left the island. The whole family is still there which makes it wonderful for us. I am bookmarking the site because. We will ask them about it and sometime plan to come at that time in September. It looks very interesting. We can coincide it with the Festival of San Michele in Sant Angelo. There is a monument in Sant Angelo to the Patria.....a ship my grandparents came over on from the Salerno area.

Again, welcome the board!
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 07:32 AM

annhig: If you want the beauty of Capri but more natural and local, definitely go to Ischia. I would recommend not going from the end of June to the beginning of September because of the hordes of vacationers.
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 10:10 PM

Sant'Angelo certainly does make a big thing of celebrating San Michele - even here in Ponte we heard the fireworks banging away for what seemed ages, just a couple of weeks ago! I'll look out for that monument to the Patria when we're next there.

More than any other time, it's August when the island gets REALLY busy, although a surprising number of Neapolitans still move over en famille for both months - with whoever's working going back during the week, and joining kids and grandparents, mothers, whatever, for the weekends... until their own vacation time comes along.

But then, on the first of September, scenes like this are repeated all over the island - which I'm sure rises three inches out of the water by the end of the day!
http://www.pbase.com/isolaverde/image/102489851

Peter
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 02:10 AM

annhig, how did the A-level Italian go? My class has more or less fallen apart for lack of a teacher - you would think living not far from Peterborough with its large group of Italians we could find someone.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 05:47 AM

A_Brit_In_Ischia: That's because the fireworks are set off all the way up the mountain so it looks like a wall of fireworks. Since they go up that far, it ends up not being that far from you

The monument to the Patria is where they dock the yachts not the little boats.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Hi Tarquin,

thanks for asking about the italian A level. Sadly the college where I was taking the course has decided not to offer the A2, [for lack of an appropriate teacher, they said]but at least I passed the AS level, as did the rest of the class. [we were down to 6 by the end of the year, having started with about 20!]

Happily, they are offering an italian conversation class with the aforesaid teacher from Ischia, who taught the GCSE to us, as well as the IB to my DD. At present there are roughly 12 of us doing the conversation class; I'll be interested to see how many stay the course.

I'm sorry that you can't get a class going in your area. we found it VERY difficult to organise classes privately and the local college has been a great help, but they are struggling to get the numbers. OTOH, if I'd done Spanish, I'd be well on my way to the A level - they have over twice as many students wanting to do the course. Anyone know why Spanish should be that much more popular than Italian?
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 10:42 PM

I fear it's more about Italian....
The RAI Uno quiz show "L'Eredita" digs through lots of surveys and research publications for its multiple choice questions - and one factlet they once picked up on was that at any time only 300,000 people worldwide are learning Italian.

Count back, and raising even half a class locally may not be at all bad going!

Peter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -