Glasgow Accommodation-1 night

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be ending a Scotland trip in Glasgow for one night. We are planning on depositing our rental car in Edinburgh, then taking a bus or train to Glasgow and will stay one day before flying out.

What are your recommendations for a hotel/B&B?
Likely should be centrally located for the one night, fly out in the morning.

It has also been suggested to us that Paisley would be a nice place to stay, however, we will no longer have our car.

As we will only have the one day for looking around, what would be recommended?

We are trying to do our trip economically, but do want a nice, clean facility to stay. Will pay what we have to for something decent.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Well, I would second the Paisley recommendation, because it's just across the M8 from the Glasgow airport at Renfrew.

Unless you're flying out of Prestwick, in which case I'd suggest you stay in Ayr or Troon.

There are trains all over the place, so getting to and from your lodgings won't be an issue.

For something to do, check the possibilities at http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
my decision would be bases on the flight time. How early is it?

If before 8 or 9 a.m. I'd stay right at GLA so I wouldn't have to deal w/ early morning transport. There are several hotels at the airport including a very inexpensive Travel Inn.

Then you could still spend the day in the city to sightsee, eat, shop whatever, but have a much easier schedule in the morning.

(If your flight is later you could stay anywhere)
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

We're flying out of Glasgow Airport at 0900. If we're in Glasgow for the day and then get a hotel near the airport for the night, where could we store our luggage on arrival in Glasgow, would there be storage lockers at the train/bus station?

Someone had suggested staying at the Erkskine Bridge Hotel (though I'm wondering how we would get to it from Glasgow because I think it's out in the country. Apparently they have a shuttle to the airport. Maybe it would be better just to have something closer??
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 02:35 AM

The Travel Inn on George Street is quite nice for a budget chain hotel & is v. central. It's also quite close to where buses depart for the airport - or a taxi wouldn't cost much early in the morning.

I wouldn't stay in Paisley - friends in Glasgow have warned me off even going there for the theatre.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:33 AM

0900 isn't outrageously early so you could stay in the city centre.

The city Travel Inn is a good budget choice. Not any sort of "atmsophere" but clean, simple rooms. I also would not stay in Paisley.

I'd still might stay out at the airport tho' - save you another 45 mins of early morning hassle. If that's what you choose - I'd go to the airport first and check in to the hotel (or leave the bags there if your room is not ready yet). Then go into Glasgow and spend all day and into the evening seeing the sites before heading back to GLA and the hotel.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:51 AM

The address of the Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport is Paisley, and it's a two minute walk from the terminal building.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/1/en/hd/GLWAP?&

I attended Glasgow University and did research in Paisley, so I have no idea what the objection is.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:56 AM

The airport hotels are considered Paisley. But your original post made it seem like you were suggesting staying in the town of Paisley - a whole different matter. Some areas are fine - but not a place to spend any time.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks All! I will investigate further into all your suggestions. This website is great!

The suggestion about taking a train directly to the Glasgow airport from Edinburgh and dropping off our luggage directly at our hotel, if near there, is a good one.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Erkskine Bridge Hotel - someone I know recommended it as a nice place, reasonably close to the airport, and apparently has a shuttle to the airport.
Are there trains that go to Erkskine, or would we have to rely on bus transport?
If so, in that case, we'd need a place to store luggage in Glasgow...
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 04:33 PM

I have used the left luggage facility at the Glasgow Queen Street train station (we came in from Sterling, and I think the Edinburgh trains come into this station also). It is a room of lockers, staffed by a person who inspects the bags for security purposes. The lockers are priced by size.

If you wanted to take the train from Edinburgh to Glasgow, you could leave the luggage and then retrieve it when you are ready to go out to the hotel. I don't know the hours of the left luggage room, though, or whether the trains to the airport leave from the same station. I'm sure the Central Station has left luggage storage as well. It's about a 10 minute walk from one station to the other, but apparently there is bus service between them.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We have successfully booked the Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport, St. Andrews Drive for 63 GBP for our last night in Scotland. We liked the idea of a 2 minute walk to the airport in the morning. We saw a review that someone staying at the hotel got up, walked to the airport and checked in, walked back to the hotel for breakfast, then back to the hotel in time for their flight out.
This seemed REALLY convenient!

Thanks again for all your help! It's sometimes the little details that make the difference...
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

WHOOPS! Meant, after breakfast: then walked back to the "airport" in time for their flight out...and I even previewed my response!
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM

My daughter and I are in a similar situation. We need to spend one night (August 26) in Glasgow prior to an EasyJet flight leaving out of GLA at 8:50 AM. However, given my worrywart tendencies, I'd want to be at the airport by 6:30 AM. This Holiday Inn Express sounds mighty tempting from that standpoint. Otherwise, what would a taxi cost from central Glasgow to GLA early on Sunday morning? I can get a prepaid rate of 67 pounds, which includes breakfast.

We're staying in Edinburgh prior to Glasgow. So going from Edinburgh to central Glasgow, going to the airport hotel to drop off our bags, and then returning to central Glasgow, before returning in the evening to an airport hotel is not 100% appealing either. I suppose we could resolve this if there is a convenient left-luggage facility in central Glasgow - does anyone know?

How about the Campanile Glasgow - is that convenient from any standpoint given our circumstance? It's at 10 Tunnel Street.
Old Apr 9th, 2006, 03:13 AM

It looks like the Laterooms.com site has been revamped. In any event, I can't argue with the results. I found a rate for 67.50 Euros (yes, Euros - the booking agent repeated what I saw on the screen, and gave the equivalent in pounds - 47.32 pounds) for the Express by Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport for the night of August 26.

This is a cancellable rate (24-hours notice). I telephoned the UK office, gave them my details, and they sent me an email confirming my reservation.

For this price, and knowing the convenience for the morning departure, I think this is our best choice, even given the inconvenience of luggage wrangling.

Otherwise, the cheapest rate, which was prepaid on the Holiday Inn web site, was 66.75 pounds. I'm very pleased with this result and doubt I can better it with any other booking service.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM

WillTravel, the train stations in cental Glasgow will have left luggage facilities.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:10 PM

Is the gla airport open all night for us to snooze there before an early departure?