Where to stay in Glasgow

Search

Where to stay in Glasgow

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2007, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to stay in Glasgow

We are wrapping up our 2 week trip with one night in Glasgow prior to our flight to the states at 12:40 pm. Would it be better to stay in town or near the airport in a traditional hotel? Anything in particular we shouldn't miss since we'll only be there one day?
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 08:11 AM

Not really a lot to see in Glasgow :

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/en/AboutGl...stattractions/

Some hotels :

http://www.priceline.co.uk/pcln/ufi/...FQzIXgodcn4wtA

I stayed some distance from Glasgow and drove to Prestwick airport on the day for a flight about the same time.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Prestwick airport is not the same as Glasgow airport, thou some air companies will say Glasgow mean Prestwick, so check that out. Stay in Galsgow you do not really want to waste a night hanging around an airport hotel.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

crazychick, that's what I was thinking. We should probably stay in town. Now I just have to find somewhere preferrably under $130.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:00 PM

We stayed at the Old Schoolhouse Hotel which is very well located next to the Glasgow School of Art (a Mackintosh building) and within walking distance of the town center. The cost was £60 per night.

http://tinyurl.com/2t8tf7
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM

I am a big fan of the city of Glasgow. It is great for art and architecture, especially the architecture of Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Several of his buildings are within walking distance of the city center.

IMO the top attraction would be the newly renovated Kelvingrove Museum. This is a combination Art museum and Natural History museum. The art collection includes Dalis' famous Christ of St. John of the Cross as well as fine examples from other periods of art. Kelvingrove is in the West End, and there is a transportation museum right across the street. If you like Indian food, the restaurant Mother India is nearby.

Another outstanding museum is the Burrell Collection, which is located a short distance outside of the city. It has a lovely small collection of European paintings and strong holdings of sculpture and medieval stained glass.

Glasgow's medieval Cathedral of St. Mungo is worth a visit. The nearby Mercant City area has some enjoyable shops, restaurants, and pubs. Babbity Bowster is a traditional (and popular) pub which offers the best haggis that I've ever tasted.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Second the recommendation of both Kelvingrove Museums. Some of the best sets of Whistler paintings anywhere, and fascinating engineering models in the transportation museum.

McIntosh architecture is worth seeing, esp School of Art, and you can still have tea in at least one of the tearooms he designed.

Only downside of Glasgow: Glaswegian accent sounds like Russian or Portugese, but Glaswegians have a great sense of humor!
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:23 AM

I'd take Kaneda's advice with a pinch of salt. I'm aware its all a matter of personal taste but to say there's not much to see in Glasgow is either ill informed or silly.

With only one day I'd head for George Square and pick up one of the many sightseeing buses which tour the city. Journey time is around 90 minutes and you can hop and off at your leisure at whatever attraction takes your fancy.

Noe and Ack gave good advice and its worth taking although I take umbrage at Ack's scurrilous characterisation of the Glaswegian accent. It is simply a device to ensure the listener is really listening