Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Accomodations near Glasgow or Edinburgh airports?

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM
hpl
Original Poster

If you had to stay in one place for one night to have mid-morning access to either airport, where would it be? Stirling? Linlithgow? Balloch? Bathgate?

I know there are the standard chains right at the airports but I'd rather have something a little more interesting for our last night plus proximity to a nice dinner (I guess we could take the train into Edinburgh if we were in the right place).

Thanks
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:21 PM

Just stay in either city they're both close enough to their airports to get there within half an hour by bus. Then you can have a last night with decent dinner options rather than the limited fair on offer nearer the airport.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM

For EDI - I'd drop the car at the airport and stay in the city centre.

For GLA, I'd stay somewhere around the southern end of Loch Lomond. Anywhere from Drymen to Luss -- from there it would be an easy drive to GLA.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:34 AM

But since you want to be able to go to either, if it were me I'd stay in or near Stirling. Depending on budget the Highland is very good. Do NOT got to Bathgate
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 05:49 AM

"If you had to stay in one place for one night to have mid-morning access to either airport,"

But since you want to be able to go to either, if it were me I'd stay in or near Stirling."

Oh - yes - if you don't know which airport you are using, Stirling makes sense. My recommendations were w/ the assumption that by the time you are deciding where to stay, you would know which airport you are flying out of.