Getting Round Sorrento

Search

Getting Round Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting Round Sorrento

How would you get from place to place in Sorrento? Specifically - from the train station (Circumvesuviana) in Sorrento. From the Ferry/Hydrofoil ports? Are there shuttles or buses there or do you have to make reservations?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:27 PM

Sorrento is not a very big town and we just walked everywhere. But we came by car and our hotel was right above the harbor. So it depends on where you're staying. I would check with your hotel for specifics.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:23 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The city bus is very easy to negotiate, buy a ticket at stands or from the driver (I think €1.30) then validate it in the machine behind the driver. Note that the Marina Piccola (little harbor) is actually the big harbor where the ferries to Capri leave, the Marina Grande (big harbor) is actually the little harbor, with ferries to nowhere.

I can't recall the bus no. that runs from the top of the cliff down to the marina - 1 or 4 I think, but hey, we ended up going to the Marina Grande thinking that was the ferry dock, so my advice is already suspect.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:24 PM

We walked everywhere in Sorrento, except when we got back from Capri, we did not want to climb those stairs from the Marina up to town, so took a cab. Don't remember it being terribly expensive.

Joelle
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:37 PM

Yes, if you have a ton of luggage and the kitchen sink, taking the cab is best. We even took a cab from the rent-a-car agency (dropped off the car) two blocks down to the marina, because of the luggage.