Reload this Page >

Getting from Pisa airport to Florence and back

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:47 AM
D. Dishberger

I'm planning a trip to Tuscany, and so far the best air arrangements require me to fly into the airport at Pisa. My plan is something like this:<BR>Arrive Pisa - go to Florence straightaway via train.<BR>2 days in Florence.<BR>Pick up rental car at airport in Florence.<BR>1 week in a villa out in the country.<BR>Drop car off in Florence.<BR>Take train back to Pisa.<BR>One day in Pisa.<BR>Go home.<BR><BR>This plan means that we would not have to worry about the car while in Florence. <BR><BR>Does this sound workable? Is it easy to get from Pisa to Florence by train?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR>Debra

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Tess

Yes, it's easy to get from Pisa to Florence by train. Most of them are local trains and take about 1 hour. You can view schedules on www.trenitalia.com or www.trenitalia.it or www.fs-on-line.com (it's all the same website). I've flown in/out of Pisa Airport. It's a pleasant little airport and located close to the city and train station there. <BR><BR>Your plan is very workable. However you don't need to go out to the airport in Florence to pick up a rental car. In fact, rental companies add a small surcharge when cars are picked up there. I think it may be just as easy to arrange to get your car near by the train station in Florence. Also, rather than returning it in Florence, why don't you drive to Pisa and drop if off there?<BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 10:45 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Great plan--I also agree with the above.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:52 AM
D. Dishberger

I had wondered about picking the car up in Florence and dropping it off in Pisa. My concern was that it would be difficult and/or expensive to arrange. In the US, there can be a considerable surcharge when you pick up in one city and drop off in another.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:32 AM
George

Hi,<BR><BR>I just rented from Autoeurope, and am doing a pickup in Florence with a drop off in Bologna and did not get charged for any one-way drop-offs etc.<BR><BR>-G

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 08:12 PM
D. Dishberger

Thanks for the suggestions. We will travel by train from Pisa to Florence (plenty of trains according to trenitalia.com), pick up rental car in Florence, and drop rental car off in Pisa. It turns out that the charge for dropping the car off in Pisa is only slightly more expensive than the train tickets would be.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 02:46 AM
Alice Twain

Do not forget to stop in Lucca. It is right on your way from Pisa to Florence and the city is lovelier than both Pisa and Florence. Also I advise against driving from Florence to pisa on your way back. Firenze-mare is a narrow but very crowded autostrada which can be difficult to deal with even for an Italian used to our way of driving or that can become really chocked with cars.