PISA..by train or car from Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trip time is almost here! Mrs Plastic and I are revisiting about a million travel decisions and one we have come up with is our planned trip to Pisa.

After our time in Florence has concluded we have arranged to rent a car at the airport (only choice due to using bonus miles-thus the name PlasicTraveler That location does not open until 8am to pick up the car.

We were planning to drive to Pisa-Lucca and then head down south to stay in an area near Volterra for the night. Now we are second guessing our decision to do this by car.

Should we instead wake earlier, catch the train to Pisa/Lucca and then back to Florence to then pick up the car before heading south?

If we do it by car would it be the same amount of time? We'd have to park in Pisa, park in Lucca navigate around to the sights...but we would be driving through the Italian countryside at the same time.........CHOICES CHOICES! Any advice would be welcomed.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mr. Plastic,

why not get the train to Pisa, and pick up the car there? you could go and see the Campo dei Miracoli, then pick up the car and head off to Lucca.

IMO the countryside between Florence and Pisa isn't great [or perhaps that's just what you can see from the train!].

according to google maps, it's 20 mins to Lucca from Pisa, and about another 1 hr 20 mins from Lucca to Volterra via Pontaderra, which avoids going back to Pisa.

alternatively you could miss out Lucca [or leave til another day] and go straight from Pisa to Volterra in which case it would take approx 1 hour 20 mins.

personally I wouldn't want to pick up a car anywhere near Florence and you don't really want to slog back to the airport, do you?
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

I don't but unfortunately have already reserved a non refundable car there. Thus the question of train and back or only car.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 11:34 AM

Do you have to do Pisa/Lucca on the day you are leaving Florence? Can it be done while you are in Florence as a day trip from Florence and leave Florence later on the day you are renting the car? Can it be done on the day you are arriving in Florence?
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 12:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The trip from Florence to Pisa by rail takes about one hour; the regional trains run about once an hour each way. It is easy to get a taxi from the Pisa rail station to the Tower area (assuming that is why you are going); If you really wanted to you could do the whole thing including all the buildings along with the tower in less than one day.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 01:08 PM

Easily done by train - Florence to Lucca - station right in town, just outside the walls - then take train to Pisa's San Leandro (name?)a small sleepy station a very short stroll from the Leaning Tower area - then re-board train and go to Florence via Pisa Centrale. No parking hassles - no parking costs - these are regional trains so dirt cheap and just hop on.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 01:10 PM

Oops that is Pisa S. Rossore station - 26 minutes by twice hourly trains from Lucca - the station is nearly within view of the Leaning Tower - you pass a supermarket to get there so can stock up on picnic supplies, etc.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM

I don't but unfortunately have already reserved a non refundable car there. Thus the question of train and back or only car.>>

ok, how much time do you have in Florence altogether, and how long do you have the car for? do you have to return it to the airport or are you returning it elsewhere?

google maps is saying that it's 1 hour 30 mins from Florence airport to Volterra, so driving time isn't altered greatly either way.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Pisa and Lucca both have ZTLs. If you decide to drive, figure out your route into and out of Pisa that won't violate the ZTL and know where you're going to park.

Also if you drive, it makes more sense logistically to go to Lucca before Pisa.
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 01:50 PM

If you want to climb the Leaning Tower without a ridiculous wait in line book a time slot online before arriving or you may not even get in!
Old Sep 10th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm. Lots to think about. First off booking the tower climb online is essential (thank you PalenQ) second resounding advice on taking train.

We are actually framing our Tuscan part of the trip around Florence. Beginning and ending there. We might have to include this in the last day(Saturday). After we have turned the car back in. Originally we were hoping to just wake up in Florence and have a leisurely day there (we have been before) just dotting i's and crossing t's and hanging out.

We might have to punt. I am bent on not over scheduling. I am going to talk it over with Mrs Plastic for the 1000th time tonight...wish me luck.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM

http://www.florence-tickets.com/towe...FeoWMgod30kA2g
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 06:49 AM

This is the official website for the Leaning Tower and Field of Miracles.

http://www.opapisa.it/en/home-page.html
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, use the official website (18€). The website PQ listed charges 28€.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:43 AM

Mr Plastic - accidentally i'm sure, you didn't actually tell us [did you?] how long you've got altogether in Florence. where will you be coming from, what else do you ahve planned there, where are you going from Volterra [you say that you are going there at the end of your stay in Florence but not where you're going after that].

it might help us to know the answers to those questions so we can help you fit Pisa and Lucca into your trip in the best way.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Pisa and Lucca both have ZTLs. If you decide to drive, figure out your route into and out of Pisa that won't violate the ZTL and know where you're going to park.>

If driving in Italy be SURE to know about ZTLs - where private vehicles at least on certain days and times - private vehicles cannot be driven and cameras record places and then send tickets to your car rental company which in turns send them to you long after you are back home - many many posts ask about this.

So consider practically any large city will have a ZLT you should not penetrate. One reason cars are a hassle in many Italian towns (and London too which has a similar measure).
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

We are finally locking down our itinerary (with three days to go before the trip OMG):

Day 1: Train arrives in Florence from Naples-one or two sights MAX, lunch and relaxing! We have a bucket list of things we did not see last time (in no particular order): Pitti Palace/Boboli Garden, Medici Chapels, Combo Baptistry, Duomo ticket (climb Duomo) We have another day at end we do not have to do all this in one day.

Day 2: Car at airport (ugggh) 8am Volterra, San Gim and end at 3PM for wine tour at Volpaia, stay in town in apartment. Wild Boar Stew and Coltassala here we come!

Day 3: Driving-would like to see an abbey (we have seen San Antimo heard there was another one more South(http://mymelange.net/mymelange/2010/...s-tuscany.html which do you recommend?) and we might check out Chiusi autumn festival. At 5PM tour of Ferenc Mate's Brunello Vineyards then end in Cortona for night ( long drive after dark-we have emailed Mate asking for an earlier tour time).

Day 4: tour Cortona, MISC, head back to Florence for night

Day 5: FLORENCE-wake and take train to PISA then LUCCA for Lunch and bike ride spend evening in Florence perhaps on Piazzale Michelangelo? know any good restaurants close?

As you can see we have listened, and we are totally unorganized. There are things I love and things I do not love about this itinerary. As I have said the reservations are locked down due to points travel.
Old Sep 13th, 2013, 09:09 PM

We enjoyed Abbazia di Monte Oliveto Maggiore (between Asciano and Buonconvento) more than Sant'Antimo. They are entirely different. There is much to see at Monte Oliveto, and the grounds are extensive. The monastery closes for a few hours in the middle of the day, so plan your arrival with that in mind.

When we visited, there was a casual restaurant at the entry gate, but we went to San Quirico for lunch and returned in the afternoon to see more of the abbey. It doesn't sound like you have that kind of time...

http://www.monteolivetomaggiore.it/lang1/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territo...iveto_Maggiore

Where and when are you turning in the car on Day 4?
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Turning in at the Florence airport at 7PM.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 01:41 AM

this is going to be totally useless advice now, plastic, but a better idea might have been to put all your days in Florence at the end of your trip so that you don't break it up so much. you could have flown from Naples to Florence, picked up the car straight from the airport, done your touring, then returned the car in Siena or san Gim [say] and got the bus to the centre of Florence, for your last 2-3 nights.

BTW, i wouldn't put the Bobboli gardens at the top of your list; I was very disappointed with them. IMO il giardino Bardini are much nicer and have lovely views over Florence as well as a nice little cafe on a terrace.

http://www.bardinipeyron.it/ab/cont__11.phtml

I think that what you have planned looks great, and i'm sure you"ll have a terrific time..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -