Florence / Pisa airport advice

Sep 21st, 2006, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Florence / Pisa airport advice

If you had a choice - Would you prefer to fly out of Florence on an early morning flight, or Pisa on an early flight?
Sep 21st, 2006, 11:52 AM

If you're going to be staying in Florence, you should fly out of the airport there if you have a choice. It's small and close to the city. The Pisa airport is far from Florence and not close to the city, so transportation will be infinitely more difficult. However, if you are staying in Pisa or somewhere outside of Florence, there might be another answer. You need to specify where you are staying and how early is "early", then I think someone on the board will be able to give you a useful response.
Sep 21st, 2006, 12:21 PM
ira

Hi Doug,

>The Pisa airport is far from Florence and not close to the city, so transportation will be infinitely more difficult. <

It's 1:25 hr from Florence SMN to Pisa Aeroporto, direct - 5.2E.

Sep 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM

Of course, you're right, ira. But I consider that relatively far if you have to catch a 7 or 7:30 am flight. If I remember correctly, it takes only 10 or 15 minutes to get to the Florence airport ... does that seem about right to you?
Sep 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM

Well, I haven't flown out of the Florence airport yet. But I understand it is approximately 15-20 minutes' drive from the center. That sounds better than the 1.25 hours traveling on a train plus the time it takes to get to the train station.
Sep 21st, 2006, 01:13 PM

Florence airport is only a few miles from Florence. When i was taking a train from Florence to Pisa three years ago there was a new elevated train line being built into the airport that looked like it was nearly complete. But i've never seen any info on whether trains are yet running - must not be for some Italian reason but that would make the airport even more a snap to get to.

There are hourly trains to Pisa Airport - there used to be three an hour from Florence but now i've read that 2/3rds of them don't serve the airport anymore and you have to change in Pisa Centrale. I think there are more flights to chose from from Pisa, a much larger airport.
Sep 21st, 2006, 01:40 PM

We have solved our early departure from Pisa problem by booking our last night in Pisa - which gives us a quick taxi ride to the airport in the morning following a leisurely breakfast and the day before touring the leaning tower etc. The web-site [www.opapisa.it] for booking entrance to the leaning tower was a bit difficult but I got there in the end.
Incidentally, thanks, Ira, for the info about booking the uffizi and accedamia galleries in florence. I phoned the number you gave this morning, and got through to a real english speaking person in less than 5 minutes. They are booked up til 28th and 22nd September respectively, but end of October when we are going is fine.
Sep 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM

we just drove from Pisa to Florence and it took us longer than 1.25 as there was quite a bit of construction on the autostrade. We were lucky to stay at Hotel River in Florence (highly recommended) so it was easy to get in and out of the city and they valet parked our car.

You'll like spending a night in Pisa, we spent a few hours there and it is cute and the square is beautiful.

Sep 21st, 2006, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We will be flying into Rome, then plan on leaving Rome and spending three days in Tuscany. Unfortunatly, we don't have time for Florence this trip. So really, we would just be spending the night near the airport in either Pisa or Florence, and wondered if one would be a better idea (logistically) than the other. (i.e. are their nice hotels by either airport, are these hotels easily accessible by public transport? etc.)
Sep 21st, 2006, 07:42 PM

You might consider staying in the medieval hilltown of Lucca, which is only a 30-minute cab ride from Pisa airport.
Sep 22nd, 2006, 02:55 AM

If you just have one night, and an early morning flight, I would recommend Pisa. The town in an easy 15 minute taxi-ride from the airport, you can have a relaxed breakfast, and spend the night before enjoying the sight of the monuments on the campo dei miracoli beautifully illuminated. florence is lovely but very busy and too much for such a flying ! visit, IMO.
we are staying at the Hotel royal Victoria right on the river for our last night in Tuscany, prior to an early flight home. My DH and I stayed there 25 years ago when it was fraying a bit round the edges, but it is a very beautiful building, with huge rooms [our bathroom was as big as our bedroom at home] and all reports suggest they've done it up a bit since then. We're looking forward to sharing it and Pisa with our kids.
If you end up staying in florence with a flight out of Pisa, you can look up and indeed book the train straight through to the airport on the Trenitalia website.
Good luck!
Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:09 AM
ira

Hi Doug,

You are correct.

It was the "infinitely more difficult", part that I was responding to.

Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:10 AM
ira

Hi Ann,

Glad to have helped.