Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting from Naples train Station to Ferry Dock

Jan 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

HI--Me again!
Can someone tell me whats involved (time, distance, cost,etc) in getting from the train station in Naples to the ferry dock to catch the last ferry to Positano? And, does the ferry ever shut down for bad weather, etc?
Thanks----K
Jan 24th, 2008, 04:59 PM

it's not very far. you can either take a city bus or taxi. if you have luggage, then taxi is your best choice. I think it shouldn't be more than EUR10 and it's 10 min without traffic. traffic may be slow depending on time of day.
Jan 24th, 2008, 08:38 PM

HI kaplenta - There is NO direct ferry to Positano from Naples. It's a hydrofoil service.

The direct hydrofoil usually runs twice daily in high season. For times see:
www.metrodelmare.com

There is a ferry service several times daily from SALERNO to Positano
http://www.comune.salerno.it/allegati/4734.pdf

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Jan 25th, 2008, 01:12 AM

Hydrofoils and other fast craft running to Positano are liable to be affected by bad weather. If you're planning to use one, always have an alternative plan, by road.
If you're going to the islands - Capri, Ischia or Procida - there are car ferries which are very rarely cancelled by the weather.
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks---I guess I thought that a ferry and a hydrofoil were the same!
We will have luggage so we may be better off (although more expensive) hiring a driver to get us to Positano. Don't want to risk being stuck in Naples without a ride!
Jan 25th, 2008, 02:41 PM

You should consider taking the train to Salerno instead of Naples. You can then ferry from Salerno to Positano.
Jan 25th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

kybourbon,
Where would I find schedules for the ferry from Salerno?
Wouldn't we the risks be the same if bad weather arrises?
Jan 25th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Same risk, but there is bus service from Salerno to Positano.
Jan 25th, 2008, 09:03 PM

Below are notes I took from very helpful Fodorites on doing exactly that -- taking the train to Salerno from Rome.

"Take the train to Salerno and ferry to Positano (or bus if you have to).

There are DIRECT trains from Rome to Salerno (- e.g 07.45, 09.45).

The 07.45 train might allow you to catch the 10.40 (- if you hurry!) or otherwise the 11.40 ferry.

Ferry journey time: 70 mins. Fare: € 8.00

There are normally ferry departures from Salerno (Piazza della Concordia jetty) in June at#8232;08.40 - 09:40 - 10.40 - 11.40 - 14.10 - 15.30 - 17:15*

http://www.salernocity.com/comune/tr.../costiera2.asp

The dock at Salerno (- Piazza della Concordia jetty) is about 3 blocks/ 5 mins walk from the railway station

and specific walking directions:
Walk straight out of the train station toward the ocean for around three blocks, the first major street being Corso Garibaldi. When you cross the last street near the ocean, head right toward the tall pole monument with I believe the Madonna or Santa Lucia mounted atop (this is Piazza Concordia and the monument should be in a huge parking lot). Behind the monument you'll see the entrance to the pier. You can go down the ramp and just keep walking until you see the bend to the right and a trailer selling tickets. I believe in June they'll also erect some white overhead coverings to offer shade in the passengers waiting for the boats. I'm guessing that in June there won't be huge lines to board the ferry so you should be ok. The ferry offers open air seating on the top floor and then covered seating in the main cabin area. The boat will make a couple of stops to the coastal cities before reaching Positano.

Jan 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks--very helpful.
Jan 26th, 2008, 10:29 AM

We did the return to Rome from Amalfi (same deal as Positano) via Salerno and then the train. It was infinitely easier that when we've made the ferry connections in Naples. Just a short walk from the station in Salerno to the docks.