ferry to Positano?

Jan 16th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

ferry to Positano?

We will be going from Naples to Positano and have heard that the ride along the Amalfi coast, although beautiful, is rather scarey? Can we take a ferry or boat from Naples to Positano? How long is the ride? Thanks. Marilee
Jan 16th, 2006, 11:15 PM

I think it might be scary only if you're doing the driving yourself. On the other hand, if you're driving you can't afford to enjoy the incredible views of the Amalfi Coast. We had a private driver and we were fine (from Naples to Positano and our hotel) and then another day "doing" the Amalfi Coast with a private driver.

On the other hand, there is a ferry from Naples to Positano. We weren't able to take it because of a schedule conflict - the last ferry was around 2:00 p.m. and we didn't get to the Naples train station until 2:15 or so. I believe the ferry trip was to have been around 45 minutes [ We did take the ferry from Positano to Capri and from Capri to Naples, and the views are fabulous]

Hope this helps. You can find the web site for ferries by googling, and my recollection is that the ferry schedule is all in Italian, but easily understandable.

KC
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:08 AM

When are you going? I think it only runs seasonally, and it wasn't running yet when we were there in mid-June last year. Looks like it takes about 1:15.

http://www.metrodelmare.com/l-mm2_b.html
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:14 AM

When are you going ? I believe the Metro del Mare (hydrofoil between Naples & Positano - www.metrodelmare.com) only runs July-Sept.
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:19 AM
ira

Hi M,

>...have heard that the ride along the Amalfi coast, although beautiful, is rather scarey? <

Only if you suffer from vertigo.

Jan 17th, 2006, 04:56 AM

I looked at the metrodelmare site and can't determine if the ride from Naples to Positano is a ferry or hydrofoil. My understanding is that a hydrofoil is smoother for those of us who get seasick. Also, is there hydrofoil service from Positano to Capri? Thanks!
Jan 17th, 2006, 05:30 AM

I actually think the ferries are the smoother ride - they are quite large and don't go as fast. Also you are more cooped up on the hydrafoil, down low and inside. Don't want to discourage you but on our hydrafoil trip from Naples to Capri, it pretty much turned into a barf boat - a crew member came with a fist full of plastic bags - then the sickness became somewhat contagious. 'Nuff said! If you go by land you can take a train to Sorrento and then a bus to Positano. If you want to spend the Euros, IMO the best way is to get a private driver from Naples. The coastline is dramatic but I didn't find it scary - I might have tho if my husband had been driving! The drive would probably take about two hours.
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:08 AM

What's "scary" is the barf boat from Capri to Positano and Amalfi.

The ferry service from Naples to Capri is smoother (larger vessel).

Take the SITA buses -- they're fine. Then BOTH of you can enjoy the views -- not just the passenger.

Jan 17th, 2006, 07:42 AM

Hi Marilee,

I wouldn't be concerned about the boats/ferries as long as you are a person who doesn't get sea sick. They are pretty smooth.

The hydrofoils are faster, but rather than riding the waves, they skim the surface. If the sea is rough, they bounce around a lot. My ride from Capri to Sorrent was downright scary - and very little scares me! I wouldn't do it again.
Jan 18th, 2006, 06:04 AM

I've never had a rough ride in a hydrofoil in Italy. I'd rather risk the very low chance of a rough sea (when are you going ?) than the hot & very likely overcrowded buses.

Even if you get the train to Sorrento & then the SITA bus to Positano, depending on where you are staying you may need to take a 3rd bus (the little local orange bus) to get from the high road where the SITA bus stops to your hotel. Or walk.

A limo will take you further, to the piazetta or your hotel if it's before there, but will cost €80-100 one way.

When we were last in Positano it seemed to me that the only scheduled journey by sea was the Metro del Mare to Naples. There were tourist trips to other resorts including Capri.
Feb 1st, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

THanks for all your information.......We are going the second week of May. i hope the boats are running, as having been in a couple of car accidents, I am not the best back seat driver. THANKS so much! Marilee