Transportation help - Naples port to Positano, Ravello

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2011, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend is leaving on a cruise in a few weeks with a stop in Naples. I have urged her to look into the Amalfi coast with stops in Positano and especially Ravello. (If time permits Amalfi and Sorrento, in that order of preference would be nice too.

Here is the issue. Her ship docks at 7 am and departs at 7 pm. She is traveling with 3 others, though they may opt for other excursions.

What is the best, simplest way for her to get from the port to the destinations mentioned in the short time (sad, isn't it?) alotted? She has traveled a lot but never to Campagnia, so specifics on rail, bus, etc. for a reasonable round trip would be most appreciated.

Can anyone give me advice to pass on, particularly in terms of timing and price?

Oh! I almost forgot. If I send her to Positano and Ravello, is there a ferry from Naples that would allow views of the Amalfi coast along the way. (I realize she will need ground transport to Ravello and back, so that advice is needed too.)

Thanks in advance for helping a friend helping a friend.
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 01:05 AM

Ravello is a gorgeous place and a must see destination, as is Positano. Most cruisers hire a driver and a car to see these places.
With the cost shared by four the economics are good,the experience is hassle free, the driver will make sure you do not miss the boat and it's a lot cheaper than the ship's excursion. Also the ship's bus tour cannot get into Positano where the driver can. Sorrento and Positano can be seen by public transport, but why stress when you are trying to relax on a cruise. These are two that we have used and they are both good.
Get a quote.
http://www.francescomarrapese.com/
http://www.sorrentotopcar.com/
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, DownUnder for your help. I am still trying to plan the trip and get agreement from the group. One thing I am having difficulty finding up-to-date information on is the possibility of a Hydrofoil or ferry from Napoli to Sorrento (as well as return by Hydrofoil or ferry) so that they can be picked up by the driver in Sorrento. Does anyone have any current information on ferry services? I have searched most of the listed companies and can't find a reliable answer on getting to and from Sorrento, particularly in terms of schedule and direct ferries.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM

What month? the schedules are different in the off season, but I would think most drivers would have no problem with a Naples pick up. Another option to check is the website shareashoreexcursioninItaly - they put together small groups for tours.

Another option is Capri - very easy to get the ferries from the Naples port to Capri and IMO it makes a nice day trip. In a way, it is the Amalfi coast in miniature (other posters may disagreee, that's fine) but the terraine, landscaping, great views, cafes etc. are lovely. The Blue Grotto is of course an option, the little bus up to Anacapri has gasp-worthy views, then you can take the chairlift. Not as ambitious as the Amalfi coast but really, Positano, Amalfi and Ravello are ALOT for a single day!
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 08:28 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Taxis (official taxis) from Naples to the coast are a set fee (return taxis based on the coast are not covered by Naples rules). Click on visualizza le tariffe and that will give you an idea of what things should cost.
http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/.../IDPagina/1193

You can't always count on a ferry as they don't run that often and can get off schedule or cancel due to weather. There have also been cutbacks this year on services.

It would be difficult to include Ravello by public transportation. You would need to get to Amalfi and catch the bus up to Ravello. It can be quite crowded and you may or may not get on the first one that comes by. You may have to wait a bit.
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 09:49 AM
ira

Hi AD,

With the limited time and cost being shared among 4 people, I would definitely hire a driver for the day.

We were pleased with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it and Francesco. http://www.francescomarrapese.com/