getting from florence to siena

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:23 PM
paula martin

getting from florence to siena

We will be in Florence in March and would like to go to Siena for a day without renting a car. Is this possible? Any other suggestions for day trips from Florence since we will be there for nine nights. We prefer not to rent a car.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:43 PM
ROLAND

The best bet is to take the bus. It leaves about every hour and is just over a one hour ride. The bus station is just at the wall so you can walk to the city center. The train leave less often and takes longer. The train station would require a taxie to get to the city center.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Maryg

I agree with Roland. the bus is a great way to get to Siena From Florence. You leave from near the train station and arrive close the centre of Siena.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:25 PM
loislane17

Paula, the bus/train debate has been covered. I'm here to chat you up about alternate spots:<BR>Fiesole-talk about your quick ride! And wonderful views, great ruins.<BR>Lucca-one of my favorite hilltowns! <BR><BR>Also, don't overlook (one of) my favorite region/s: Umbria. Great spots that are a quick bus or train: Arezzo-if you want to see Arezzo before traveling, check out Life is Beautiful; most of the film takes place in Begnini's home town of Arezzo; Perugia (train) is a great Umbrian town and the train that goes to Perugia, stops first in Arezzo. You can check schedules, up to 3 months in advance on the wonderful FS (state run railsystem) website: <BR>http://www.trenitalia.it/ It seems that it's about 90m. to 2 hours depending on the train to Perugia.<BR><BR>Bologna is a bit of a hike, but since it's on the main line, you can get there almost as fast/faster than Perugia. Bologna has 3 nicknames: La Dotta (the learned-first university), La Rossa (for both its communist beginnings and its gorgeous red, rust colored buildings) and La Grassa (the fat!) for you can imagine--talk about the food!! Wonderful town.<BR><BR>If you have tons of time, from Bologna, take the train to Ravenna. If you're into mosaics-that is the place to go. It's a gracious town with lovely piazze, sweet shops and some amazing food!<BR>whew. Buon viaggio<BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Alice Twain

To loislane's list I woudl add Pistoia for a day far from the madding crowds. The city is not as famous as Siena or Lucca, but it is a lovely medieval center with lots of things worth seeing, gorgeous squares (Piaza del Duomo e Piazza della Sala), a few interesting museums, a huge open air market on Saturday and very little tourism. Besides it is just 45 minutes from Florence. Just do not go there on a Sunday.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:21 AM
Daniel

Siena is 75 minutes from Florence by express bus. 6.50 euros single/one way.<BR>Timetable on www.sita-on-line.it/index2ing.htm.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Ira

Hi Paula<BR><BR>I took this from one of the travel guides.<BR><BR>Take SITA bus No 350 next to SMN Station 8:40, 8:50, 9:10, 9:40, 10:10, 10:30 <BR>From Florence to Siena, you can take the non-stop bus, or the slower local bus which stops along the way, avoids the autostrada, and takes you to small scenic towns in between. <BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Paula

Thank you all for the valuable information. Any other suggestions and details would be helpful.