Reload this Page >

Germany / Austria Christmas Market 2007 Itinerary

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good evening,

My husband and I are planning to take our first trip (13 days / Dec. 15 - 29) to Europe next Christmas. The overall reason for the trip at this time of year is to visit the Chritmas markets and experience my favorite season in Germany and Austria. I am having a difficult time "nailing down" an itinerary. Listed below is the preliminary schedule based on the things I would most like to do.

I would appreciate any input you can provide - is this doable; do I need to elmiminate anything, etc? We are planning to use the public transportation systems. We do not want to rent a car.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

DAY 1 to DAY 3: Fly into NURNBERG; visit
Christmas Market and city
highlights.

DAY 3 to DAY 4: Depart NURNBERG for
ROTHENBERG; visit
Christmas Market and town
highlights.

DAY 4 to DAY 5: Depart ROTHENBERG for
FUESSEN; visit
NEUSCHWENSTEIN CASTLE.

DAY 5 to DAY 7: Depart FUESSEN for MUNICH;
visit Christmas Markets,
city highlights, and
Dachau.

DAY 7 to DAY 10: Depart MUNICH for SALZBURG;
visit Christmas Markets,
city highlights, and
Christmas Eve / part of
Christmas Day.

DAY 10 to DAY 13: Depart SALZBURG for
VIENNA; visit city
highlights.

DAY 14: Fly out of VIENNA for U.S.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Wow! Only a day for Vienna? They have many fantastic Christkindl markets and soooo much else to see. We've been there many times ranging from 7 days to a month and still have not seen everything. I'd try to plan at least 2 or more days for this wonderful city. Public transit in Vienna is the best and most efficient I've ever used.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 09:19 PM

oopps, I see you have 2 planned...I'd give Salzburg 1 day and use the balance in Vienna.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information. We can spend one less day in Salzburg and one more in Vienna.

Since you have visited Vienna many times, can you please recommend a hotel and restaurants? Also, the "must-see" city sites?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:04 PM

I have been to Austria and Germany on separate trips. Your plan sounds very workable.

We went to the Christmas markets in Nuremberg, Rottenberg, and Munich this past December. I'm sure you will be delighted. It's a perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit! Although Nuremberg is famous for its gingerbread, we liked the smaller version we got in Munich better for gift giving. Loved the Nuremberg wurst though!

Have a great time!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information. Wurst and gingerbread specifics noted and recorded.

Since you have just recently experienced three of these places, would you please recommend hotels and restaurants in them? Also, any further tips for these three destinations?

Thank you in advance!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:00 AM

You'll love Vienna. For some rec's on places to eat, cafes, etc. Go to our site:
http://austria.starkeconcepts.com/
If you are in Vienna 3 days or more try an apt. I have some listed as well as a couple of great small hotels.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:01 AM

OOpps, all are listed on our Links page.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Calander check. You will have 13 days on the ground or total. Let's say you leave the 15th and arrive the 16th. Most of the Christmas markets close down on the 24th so you have 9 days if you include the day you arrive. After Nurnberg, Rothenburg and Munich you will find the Christmas markets starting to look the same. That is not to say all these places aren't great places to visit in addition to the Christmas markets. You will only need a day to see Nurnberg and a day and a night in Rothenburg will probably satisfy you.

The Bavaria pass on the train is @25 euros per day for travel for up to 5 people and covers the area from Nurnberg to Rothenburg, Munich, Fussen and Salzburg. You might find a car provides more access for parts of your trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank all of you for your assistance.

I have now pretty much decided on the Vienna basics.

Thank you for the tip regarding the time in Nurnberg. I will adjust my itinerary and add an extra day to the Munich area.

Regarding the 25-euro rail pass, that is fabulous! Is this something that is purchased at the beginning of our trip, ahead of time, trip-by-trip?

Once again, thank you for all of your help. If you think of additional information, I can certainly use it!

Have a good evening!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:41 PM

My husband and I are also considering a Germany Christmas Market vacation this December. Can anyone recommend any specific internet sites listing German B & B's or short stay apartment rentals? I am just starting my planning so we don't know how much we will use the trains and/or car rental. Also, are the markets open all day or just in the evening? Thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:49 PM

A couple of years ago I went to the Christmas markets in Salzburg and Vienna. While I agree that Vienna needs more time, I loved Salzburg and would definitely give it at least several days. When I was there it was snowing and with the market and Xmas decorations it was magical.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:17 PM

The Bavaria pass is available from machines at the train station or you can go to the window where it will cost you 2 Euros more.

We had a Bavaria Pass for 5 people and when we (2 of us) got on the train on Christmas eve a woman asked if we were traveling on the Bavaria pass and if she could pay us 5 euros to be part of our party of 5. I told her Merry Christmas she could be part of our family for free. Then another girl came to us and asked the same thing so we let her be part of the family also. It made for nice conversation with some very nice people we probably wouldn't have met otherwise.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Definately spend more time in Vienna "Wien" than salzburg.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM

Anyone interested can e-mail me for a Word document I've compiled with a lot of German websites that might interest you as you do research on this topic: [email protected].
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:06 PM

bookmarking...