Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amalfi Coast destinations: Where besides Positano?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm helping a friend finalize her itinerary for a trip to the AC in September. She is staying in Positano for four nights. They are planning to visit Capri, Amalfi, Ravello. They will also be in Rome on the back end of this trip.

She wants to select another destination for two nights. I know that during my visit to Ravello, I lamented that we were only there for a day and that I would have loved to stay the night. However, I'm assuming that Ravello doesn't have much nightlife. Am I wrong?

If you had two more nights in and around the AC, where would you spend them? She and her boyfriend are mid-30s and this is their first major trip together. They live in Chicago and like to eat and enjoy nightlife. I'm thinking Ravello nights might be too quiet for them. I disuaded them from Sorrento and Amalfi.

What about Atrani? Other points east?

Thanks for your help!

-Kellie
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:46 AM
Pausanias

I think Capri would probably have the liveliest nightlife. Why not replace the daytrip with a couple of nights there? The island doesn't come into its own until the last ferry of the day leaves.

Old May 21st, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Now that you mention it. . . we are just starting to talk about that option. I didn't realize that the destination they pick for these final two nights is the last of their destinations for the AC -- they'll be heading to Rome from whatever spot they pick.

So Capri probably makes the most sense given it is heading in the right direction.

I didn't like the hotel that I stayed in while visiting Capri, so I don't have any recommendations for her. If I had to do it over again, I would have picked something much closer to the piazza . . . but it wasn't in our budget at the time. Any suggestions on a good Capri hotel that is on the higher-end of moderately priced places? (I don't have her exact range.)

I want to recommend someplace romantic b/c I'm convinced that he'll be proposing!!!

Thanks-
K
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:59 AM

http://www.hotel-canasta.com/en/welcome
One of my favorite hotels on Capri. It does book up fast however.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:05 AM

Atrani is just a five Minute walk from Amalfi and has a few good restaurants and bars
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM

Kellbell -

We spent two nights at La Minerva (http://www.laminervacapri.com/en/index.html) in 2005 and loved it. It's about a 5-10 minute walk to the piazzetta and very romantic - we had a deluxe room - very, very nice. Small hotel (only 19 rooms). Check it out.

KC
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 11:09 AM

We just stayed in La Minerva two weeks ago and loved it. I just posted a review of it on TripAdvisor.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Um, how exactly is Capri "heading in the right direction" on the way to Rome from Positano?
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM

If your friend wants to split her time in the AC between two spots, I agree that Positano/Capri is a great choice . . . but I also have to question that "right direction" business. If you are heading from Positano to Capri, you are NOT heading towards Rome, you are going out into the Mediterranean onto an island, from which you must return.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM

I think Capri is heading in the right direction to Rome. If you take a ferry from Positano to Naples you pass right by Capri. Plus IMO it is easier to take a ferry from Capri to Naples and then a train to Rome than it is to get from Positano to Rome.
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM
loc

When we went last fall, someone on this site recommended staying in Capri and it was the best decision of the trip. We ended up there 4 nights at a wonderful little place called Minerva. If you look on tripadvisor, it's #1 and cheaper than many. Daytripers do not experience the essence of this magical, romantic place at all. Morning and evening after they all depart is fabulous. We also rented a little boat for half the day for under $100 dollars and went around the whole island, swam and visited the blue grotto. There is nothing like the full moon over the Faringioli Rocks!!!
Old Sep 27th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Sorrento is lovely!