Italy: Amalfi coast/Capri/Positano

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Italy: Amalfi coast/Capri/Positano

We are planning a trip in late September to Italy and have 5 nights on the Amalfi coast before heading up to Milano for 3 days. I have been reading many posts on here but still not sure how I should break down the Amalfi portion. I want to definitely stay on Capri for a few nights but am wondering whether it would be better to stay there or in Positano more nights (2 vs 3). Original plan is 2 nights Positano, 3 nights Capri but I have read mixed reviews about Capri being a tourist trap so am wondering whether I should spend more time on Amalfi coast instead. We are a couple in our late 20's and enjoy exploring beach towns, appreciate good FOOD, wine and cappucinos. Things I'm looking to do: take boats around the island, hikes/walks, beach-time, restaurants/cafes, explore the towns of Ravello and Amalfi, observe the scenery, photos, relax and people watch. I chose Positano (vs others in the area) based on reviews and photos of the picturesque town on the cliffs. We'd like to stay in a hotel with nice sea views and a balcony where we can enjoy some nice Italian wine -- any good recommendations? Restaurant recommendations? Also, what is the weather like in late September? Thanks and any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 02:31 PM

I would spend more time in Positano, and be sure to plan an entire day for Amalfi and Ravello--our favorite.
I am curious, are you flying to Milano---that is a long way.
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 02:54 PM

You should give a price range in order to get good hotel recommendations. Do you need a pool?

Weather in late September if usually good, although we had bad luck last year at that time. I am going back again next month at the same time of year, so let's hope for the best!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I wonder if the people calling Capri a tourist trap are mostly day-trippers. I think once you get away from Capri town, or even just being there in the evenings, its a pretty pleasant place to be. I love just strolling around the residential areas or riding around on the buses. There are also more strenuous walks if that is what you are looking for. Its no more touristy than Positano IMO. Good wine should not be hard to find anywhere along the coast. I like Hotel Mamela in Capri. Enjoy!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM

I stayed on Capri and really enjoyed it. I do believe Capri has a different atmosphere during the day, when "day-trippers" are all over the island, and takes on a very different atmosphere in the evening and at night. I also noted that even on a Sunday night, some stores are open until 9PM, due to "the short season", as Capri sees very few visitors in winter.

No matter where you decide to go, buon viaggio!

BC
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM

I'm planning our next visit next Summer and I'm going to rent something in Capri for 3 nights. We really missed out on going to Capri due to being sick in Sorrento last month
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 05:57 PM

I was in Sorrento for 5 nights last year beginning on October 7... the weather was sunny and hot every day! Great!
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 06:55 PM

Are you planning on seeing Pompeii and the archeological museum in Naples? If so (and IMHO visiting the area without doing so is missing one of the wonder of the world) you are better off with more nights in Positano. the trouble with Capri is that the boats stop running early in the evening and getting to and fro the mainland is difficult.

Staying for a couple of nights is fun, but more than that limits your options (unless you are spending much longer in the area).
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We are planning to fly into either Rome or Naples (depending on what good flights I find) and flying out of Milan b/c we will be attending a futbol game there. I may add a couple of nights in Florence or Bologna since I've never been and it's going to cut down train time to Milan.

The hotels we are looking at are idealy 4 star but I am open to 3 star if the hotel is in a good location with balcony. I don't care too much about a pool as long as I have a good view from my balcony as I'd much rather spend time enjoying the beauty or exploring the town.

I don't know if we will be going to Pompeii b/c this trip is more about exploring the seaside towns. I was considering Naples for a day (I hear the pizze is the best there) but read on posts that it's rough there. Is it worth going in to explore the city even if you are not doing museums?

My concern with staying on Capri for more than 2 nights is that we'd run out of things to do while we could be doing more things on the mainland with that extra day as others have mentioned. We are both very active and like to see a lot on one trip. On the other hand, if Capri is very romantic, I don't want to rush but use that time as the "relaxation" portion of our trip as we'll be busy running around everywhere else. Thoughts?

I've read that ferries run less frequently durring off season. Is last week of Sept. considered off season?
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Also, for those of you who have stayed on Capri, do you find it better to stay in the Capri or the Anacapri area? What are the tradeoffs? I like the idea of staying close to Piazzetta but I'd also love those wonderful high views at some of the hotels in the Anacapri area. Is it hard to get to the main area of Capri (Piazzetta?) from some of the hotels higher up on the hill? I am aware that there are shuttles/busses but how frequent are they? I would like the freedom to move about the island not restricted too much.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 08:08 AM

RE: Capri - the buses run pretty frequently - the info is probably on the net somewhere - perhaps someone will post a link. I suggest staying in Capri town and going up to Anacapri for a day or part of the day. There is a chairlift that you will probably really enjoy - I think you can also walk down from there. We really enjoyed the restaurant Aracate up there but it does not have views. There are quite a few hotels in the pedestrain-only part of Capri town that should have some good views - I think the street they are on is Via Tragaha (something like that) The Mamela that I mentioned earlier is there, along with some other, mostly higher priced options. One restaurant that we really liked in Capri town was LaGemma - great views but inside. If you want to eat dinner there I'd suggest reservations for a table by the window.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 09:11 AM

If it were me, I'd choose 2 nights on Capri and 3 in Positano or elsewhere on the Amalfi coast to give myself more options about seeing the area. And I definitely recommend Naples as a day trip - even if you don't go to Pompeii (which I think is worth a trip), the Pompeii exhibit at the Archaeological Museum is amazing. And the pizza is the best! We thought the hop-on/nop-off bus was good way to see the city for the day.
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 10:00 AM

Lattelysh:
1)I will chose 2 nights in Capri and 3 in Positano; but definitely stay some nights in Capri.
2)Don't miss Ravello.
3)Normally you will enjoy beautiful weather in september.
4)This is the report of our stay of one week in the AC last september:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...1-to-oct-3.cfm
Enjoy your trip!!
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 10:32 AM

Capri vs Anacapri:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...l-opinions.cfm