CHRISTMAS in Salzburg and/or Vienna

Jan 20th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Karen

CHRISTMAS in Salzburg and/or Vienna

I'd like to experience Christmas in one of these 2 cities or split my time between the two. Does anyone have an opinion which city would be the most "Christmasey"? And, why?

I'd also be looking for accommodations at a lovely little inn/hotel, 3-4 star, in the most desireable, walking area.

Thank you.

Jan 20th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Rose

We were in Salzburg and Vienna for Christmas. Vienna is a city and Salzburg is a town. I think Salzburg is more magical expecially walking on the bridge when it is snowing. We stayed at Sheraton and their coffee shop was open for the holiday period. But before Christmas day in Vienna there are Christmas fare and that can be kind of Christmassy but then on Christmas day nothing will be open and you are stuck in your hotel.

Jan 20th, 2003, 07:36 PM
LInda

I really like Vienna and you would need at least 4-5 days. The hotel I would recommend is the Hotelpension Arenberg. It is a Best Western but with posh Vienna feel, within the Ring in a nice area, about 3 minute walk to Air Terminal (where buses from Airport arrive), 2 minutes to UBahn stop and about 5 minutes walk to Stephensplatz with lots to see in between. It is 4*, has about 22 rooms with homemade muslei for breakfast, nice staff, has autographed pictures to Frau Arenberg of actors/musicians/artists on wall.
A 3* hotel that is just outside the Ring is Hotel Drei Kronen. It is nice and has a very good buffet breakfast. Because it is close to the university, a number of visiting professors stay there. It is about a 3 minute walk to the UBahn stop and 8 minutes to the Opera House. The Christmas markets are nice and are at almost every plaza. The one at the Rathaus (City Hall) is the biggest and has an advent calendar in the windows.

Jan 21st, 2003, 04:30 AM
Nick

I live in Vienna and cannot comment on Salzburg for Christmas - but Rose's comment is valid -for smaller town feelm Salzburg would be best. For a few days, Vienna. Vienna is certainly the nicest city I have lived in for Christmas - more markets in a central area than say Munich - have big on at Rathaus and 3 or so smaller ones (all dead centre still). A certian amount of Made in China crap is sold as some ahve commented - but that is right through continental Europe I am sure. but there is a lot of reasonable stuff as well - very pretty decorations which you would pay a bomb for say in London or US. As a comarison, Munich is much more focused (down the main street)and gets very crowded, where as Vienna has more individual huts selling Gluhwein and food and irrespective of weather they are very busy with a very nice atmosphere. Quite a few tourists come here for Christmas so it still has quite a buzz about it. Although Christmas day is shut up time, there are plenty of hotels and ethic food places where you will get served. Nicest hotel for 4 star accom of type you may be interested in is Kaiserin Elizabeth (euro 198, bigger rooms 214). Some of the recommendations I have seen on this web site, I do not like - e.g Pension Nossek which are a bit cheaper - say euro 120- some people say such places have charm, I tend to think they are often smelly with worn out furniture in a kitsch style.

Jul 19th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Hi - does anyone know if the metro operates on Christmas Day in Vienna. Can seem to find anything online to stay it doesn't.
Any help appreciated. Please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:14 AM

sent e-mail with information
Jul 26th, 2004, 08:10 AM

Dumb Question
I see in several posts references to "the ring" when talking about Vienna> What is the Ring?
Jul 26th, 2004, 08:16 AM

There is a street and tram "ring" around central Vienna. Although looking at a map shows it as a continuous ring, it actually is broken into named sections (i.e., Opern, or Opera, ring, etc.). However, you won't know you've gone from one section of the ring to the next unless you look at the street signs.
Jul 26th, 2004, 11:35 AM

The " Ring" was the location of the former large defensive wall that surrounded the " Innenstadt" or central part of Vienna.The wall and moat areas were removed on the orders of the Kaiser Franz Josef in the mid 1800s and replaced with parks, the Ring Road and numerous buildings seen there today. Some location names survived the removal of the wall such as Stubentor and Schottentor.
Only a few small portions of the wall can be recognized today such as the " Molker Bastei".
Tram lines 1 and 2 travel the ring and a ride on either is a good way to see the city.

Search this Thread