Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

George V, Plaza Athenee or Le Meurice for special treat?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:08 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

OK, I think I have read all the Fodors' and Tripadvisors' posts at least twice on these hotels. Based on that, I want to book the Le Meurice. Any comments given what we would like for the big bucks!

I have talked to all the hotels direct and received some good special packages from each. I also have a special package through American Express Travel at each.

I am looking for a deluxe room, with a city view, not a view of windows of the building next door or an inner court yard! We like to walk exploring places instead of taking the metro or taxis before we can explore. We have been to Paris before so heavy duty sightseeing is not on the plan. We just want to enjoy the city. Most of all though, we like good breakfasts and before dinner drinks in our room while looking out at a nice view.

From all posts, it seems the Le Meurice is in the best location for a nice view ad good food.

The AET package at the Athenee is the best $ deal, Am breakfast and one lunch for two but I only can "request" a street view.

The Hotel deal at Le Meurice is Am breakfast, Bottle champagne (plus sweets and flowers-not important)including a room with city view. It is the same dollars as above.

The George V offers an Am breakfast
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:14 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Sorry I hit the wrong button-George V deal is more. However, not enough to make a difference if it is the best combination of location, view and food!

Also seems to be more negative comments about the Athenee rooms. By husband is not a real fan some of their interior.

Thanks!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:16 PM

George V . It's a landmark, it has the facilities, the position, the name....

However, it depends on whether you consider it worth the premium price over Le Meurice. It all depends on what you want. If it was me I'd stay at George V.

That said, I haven't been to Paris for a long time now, it's all terribly snotty and stuck in an era that doesn't exist (atmosphere wise). London hotels offer fabulous deals now; Parisian ones are terribly stuck up about it, and I can't be bothered with an attitude that is no longer appropriate.

As an aside..I was planning on travelling to Nice for a few night's break this weekend, but Hotel Negresco were being very petty over the view that the room would have despite this being their low season. So I never booked. The French can be so awkward to deal with at times...thank god for the Channel!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM

I think the answer to your question is that it all depends on you.

Would you rather have Krug or Cristal? Both are among the finest champagnes. Some say one has the edge, some say the other one does.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM

the athenee CAN be nice if they don't stick you near the inner courtyard, no matter the size of the room. my wife said, "open the blinds, it's so dark" well, with overcast sky's and rain in paris, opening the windows to a dark and dingy inner whatever it was, certaintly not a courtyard, but more a factory od AC units and the like. I have stayed in shoe boxed sized rooms for 790 euro that had the pipes being worked on in the room above me, no matter how descreet you are, you hear it. I have literally stood in the shower with the drains plugged up. But, the big but, once early on, I got a huge suite that was maybe 1500 sq ft, with three balconies and views of the tour de eiffel. However, i went from there to the four seasons, much better maintained, great spa area, comfy beds and great bathrooms, somewhat generic even with a view of notre dam from your bathroom. beyond great service, ask for annette watkins at the front desk, she runs the place, very expensive, i rarely get outr for less than 1000 euro a nite. the lancaster around the corner is good and more low key, but get a room with tall ceilings. check out chez renee for great broiled fish and tenderloin and bearnaise. i hear also that the hyatt is a much better value and equally as good.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:42 PM

I may never stay in any of these hotels, but I would guess that the view would be better from the Meurice than from the George V. I could be wrong though. Haven't been up the elevtor, that's for sure. But there's something that not really my idea of romantic Paris about the street of the George V.

The city views have GOT to be better from the Meurice. And since they gaurantee the view, that would be my pick.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 06:43 PM

that ought to be guarantee, of course.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 07:56 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks tuscanlifeedit, that was what I was thinking after reading. I don't remember any of the hotels from our trip with our daughter some years ago. Ours was clean, very modern, tiny rooms, cheap and fairly close to the sites which was and still is fine. We just want the "wow" factor this time!
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 08:25 PM

Friends of mine love the Meurice, and it's recently had some renovating done. The location is terrific, and the view across to the Tuileries Gardens is great if you have a room on the Rue de Rivoli side. Ask for that!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:34 AM

If your city view room at the Meurice means a view of the Tuileries (that is, a room on the rue de Rivoli), that's a great view. The room we were in didn't have that view and while the room was very nice, the view we had was nothing special. If the rate they quoted you doesn't guarantee a Tuileries view then I would go with the George V.