Nice: 4 Points Sheraton vs Le Meridien

Jul 4th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Nice: 4 Points Sheraton vs Le Meridien

Just found this board and am planning a trip to France Sept 13-28 2003 for
1) 5 nights in Paris at the Best Western Chambiges (214 euros each night for 2 nights and 229 euros each night for last 3 nights)
2) 3 nights in Avignon at the Hotel D'Europe (155 euros each night) and lastly
3) 7 nights in Nice. My wife wants a room overlooking the sea and a balcony in Nice on the Promenade De Anglais, but the 4 Points Sheraton has us booked in a Seaview room that doesn't have a balcony (none of their rooms do, it's all glass) and is 197 euros a night with no breakfast included.

After many traded emails, Le Meridien has offered us a Superior room at 230 euros a night including a buffet breakfast with a "city and small view of the sea". I wonder how small view is going to be?

Ouch. France is expensive! When I went by myself to Paris 6 years ago I spent $65 a night including a side trip to Chamonix for a couple of nights, but some of the hotels were kind of divey. My wife wants to be in really nice, comfortable, semi-luxurious hotels as this will be her only trip to France (most probably - we have alot of places in the world we want to go!)

We're 42 and were looking for a little luxury. Has anyone been to the 4 Points Sheraton in Nice or Le Meridien in Nice? The other hotel we were considering in Nice is the Best Western West End for 197 euros a night, but a review we read said the rooms are kind of dilapidated.

Lastly, had anyone been to the other 2 hotels we're booked at in Paris and Avignon???

Thanks in advance. We read the Bali Web Forum for months before going there and took all our notes and had an incredibly better experience because of it.

Steve and Julia
Silver Spring MD USA
Jul 4th, 2003, 11:48 PM

Hi Steve-
My husband & I stayed at the Nice Le Meridien last month. The rooms were average - not delapidated, but not luxurious, however we were not in a Superior room.

Breakfast Buffet was quite good - very complete with everything from fabulous breads, meat, fresh fruits, eggs, sausage. Quite a spread for France. And the dining area overlooks the beach.

I am curious as to your "partial" seaview. If you do not have a room directly in front of the strand, then your room will be perpendicular to the beach overlooking either the city park (quite nice), or on the opposite side overlooking another hotel. The balconies appeared to be large.

For 230 Euro a nite, its probably a bargain for Nice. We really enjoyed the rooftop pool and restaurant - hung out there most of the time and the view from that height was spectacular.

If you are concerned with your budget, let me suggest, if you are flying, to use the local bus from the airport to the hotel. We took a taxi (5 minutes) and it cost us 30 Euro. We took the bus back to the airport (very nice) and it cost us 2 Euro. Ask at the airport information desk - bus will drop you off right across from the hotel.
Jul 5th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Intrepid

Steve:
When you get to LeMeridien ask them if they will upgrade you to a larger room or a room with a "better" view? Don't ask how much it will cost first, just ASK if they will do it. If they say "no" then you may want to ask the "how much" question? It can't hurt. OR, you might ask them to give you the best room in that particular category. I have found that sometimes this works....although you won't necessarily have any "prrof" that the room you got is really the "best" one but at that point you'll have done everything possible. Enjoy your trip.

Jul 5th, 2003, 06:09 AM

I stayed at the West end several years ago (3 years) and they were refurbishing all their rooms. The refurbished rooms were very nice. If you call and inquire, ask about the refurbished rooms..& specify that you want a room looking directly on to the promenade/water. When I booked a "waterview" room, they gave me a room on the side, and the view was visable only if you stuck your head out the window and looked to your left. I always ask to see the room before I accept it. I told them the room was not what I had booked..so they showed me another one that was barely an improvement. My husband was hiding in a corner during my conversations with the front desk...guess he was embarrassed. I was very tactful but firm. The 3rd room, I was told that I would not need to preview. They were right..It was on the top floor, corner suite with a walk around terrace. Pays to complain some times. My favorite hotel, although not plush, is the Primotel Suisse...specify that you want a large terrace, has great views....also next door is La Perouse. This is a fantastic hotel, gets best reviews..your wife would love it..might be within your budget. I'm not sure if the terrace overlooks the water..check it out...Great hotel.

Jul 5th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for your input on Le Meridien in Nice. I cringe at paying $230 euros but I guess if it's the price of admission to a "killer" hotel in season with a view of the sea, then so be it. Great idea to ask for an upgrade when we get there - we always do, but our reservation specifically would say city view/ partial sea...

My wife is fine with staying at the 4 Points Sheraton but was hoping to chat with someone that's stayed there as it's a full $40 US a night less than Le Meridien Nice, albeit with no included breakfast buffet and no balcony for the sea breeze.

Also, anyone familiar with Hotel D' Europe in Avignon (we probably got their smallest room at 150 euro per night, or the Best Western Chambiges Elysees in the right bank in Paris? Will our rooms be the size of a matchbox, as we got the cheapest room in each hotel?

Peace,
Steve
USA