Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris Hotel Help Needed - May need to make a change Hotels for August trip!!!!

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM
To_Paris

HELP:: I may need to change our hotel reservation for our August trip!

I thought I had a reservation at the Hotel Muguet for a triple, but because of a mixed up email problem, we lost that reservation and can now have 2 rooms instead - a single and a double. We'd prefer to have a triple or a suite.

I'd very much appreciate any adivce you may have on these hotels. I'd love to hear from anyone who may have stayed at any of these hotels about the rooms, the service, the location, etc.

I've looked around a bit and so far have found the following hotels in the 5th, 6th and 7th (where we'd like to stay) with triple rooms available for our dates:

IN THE 5th:
- Hotel Minerve - a triple on the "backyard"
- Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche - a triple room with a view of the courtyard. This is the Hotel Henri at 9-11 rue Saint Jacques. (I saw another hotel with this name in another area and not quite as nice.)

IN THE 6th:
- Hotel Clement - Triple room or the Junior Suite. Rooms on the street with a view of the Church.
- Hotel-de-saint-germain - I get this hotel confused with others with a similar name. this one is at 50 rue du Four. - a family room which is two connecting rooms and a view of the street.
- Hotel Au Manoir , 153 Boulevard Saint-Germain. A superior deluxe king with a jacuzzi. Can't seem to find much about this hotel.

IN THE 7th:
- Hotel du Rond-Point de Longchamp - a triple with a view of the Eiffel Tower.
- Hotel De La Bourdonnais - a large with 2 double beds and a view of the street.

THANK YOU - Any information or advice you have, I'd greatly appreciate.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe the Rond Point de Longchamp is in the 16th arrond, not the 7th. Which doesn't mean you shouldn't still consider it--the 16th is my favorite neighborhood in Paris; I would pick that over the 5th, 6th and 7th (for someone who has been to Paris before).
The RP de Longchamp is well regarded. And a view of the Eiffel Tower is always appreciated! (We stay in the 16th, but at the Sofitel Le Parc on Ave. Raymond Poincare)
Is there a particular reason you'd prefer a triple over two adjoining rooms? I'd go the other way--for the extra bathroom.
Of the hotels on your list, I've only stayed at the Bourdonnais. Great views of the Tower from some rooms, a nice neighborhood, a little quiet at night, but not "dead" by any means. When we stayed there, we thought the rooms were on the drab side; however I understand the rooms have since been redecorated and are more appealing--another Fodorite stayed there more recently and posted a review. Does your "street view" room include a view of the Eiffel Tower? Many do (our room was #303, very good view of the tower). Be sure to check and confirm by fax or email an ET view if it's available.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Maybe your daughter has expressed herself, but if I were 20, I'd much prefer to have my own room (and privacy) for dressing.

Be advised that two "double" beds at Bourdannais (or anywhere) may not be big enough for 3 adults. A double bed will most likely -not- be a queen.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 07:44 AM

The Hotel Minerve is a three star hotel and also a Karen Brown recommendation. We have stayed at many KB hotels and B&Bs and have never been disappointed. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:10 AM

HI--"Hotel Au Manoir , 153 Boulevard Saint-Germain. A superior deluxe king with a jacuzzi. Can't seem to find much about this hotel."

I think this *may* be the room we had when we stayed there. If it is, the bed for the 3rd person is a pull out couch. It was a great room for 2!! Not sure how crowded it would be for 3. At first, after I booked the room, I panicked b/c trip advisor said some nasty stuff, but we found it to be fine. However, there were only 2 of us and we were only there 3 nights. Location is great and staff was pleasant. I just fear that altho our room was listed as a "triple" on our check out bill, that it would be too small for 3 people, esp when the pull-out is pulled out!! However, that loveseat was really nice for sitting on during down time moments.

For what it is worth, whenever we travelled w/our teen aged son, we always got him a separate single room....
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:30 AM

Travelnut, the Bourdonnais does provide two *double* beds in its rooms which could easily handle three (as opposed to the more common arrangement of two twins). But I'd still recommend one double room and one single room, for the extra bathroom, extra storage, and privacy.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:46 AM

We stayed at Hotel Clement in Dec 2004. Their triple is a single bed and a small double. My husband is 6'2 and barely fit in the single and my daughter 5'8 and I could barely fit in the double bed. The good news is the location is incredible, the hotel is spotless, there are great cafes and bistros in the area. We spent very little time in our room and enjoyed the inexpensive price which we spent on other things.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:09 AM

I wasn't implying twins... a true "double" bed can be small to people who are accustomed to larger beds. Just pointing that out in case it is a factor (no way hubby and myself could get any sleep in a double bed; we're accustomed to 2 joined twins, separate covers).
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:52 AM
To_Paris

Thanks to all.

Yes, my daughter did say she'd rather not be in a room by herself down the hall somewhere. Since they can't tell us at Muguet where the rooms will be (although she said they'd be on the same floor) I'm not sure we'll know before we get there. If any of you have stayed at Muguet, maybe you could tell me just how long the halls are. Maybe being at opposite ends isn't a big deal.

I am concerned about the "small double" - my husband is 6'2" and we are used to a larger bed. Last year in London we had a double and it was OK. But, sounds like these doubles could be smaller.

I may write again to see if I can get more information. Usually, the only info that has come back is the double, twin size. Maybe I need to ask differently?

Thank you all

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:05 PM

Ask the bed size. A double of 140 cm by 200 cm is on the small size. Our room at the Bourdonnais had two doubles of 160 cm by 200 cm. My husband is about the same height as yours and we used a bed that size for three years in Brussels--a couple who can't spend a few nights in a 160 by 200 bed is either exceptionally tall, exceptionally large or exceptionally fussy.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:16 PM
SRS

I've stayed at the Muguet and I don't think the halls are very long. I would estimate that there are probably only 10 or so rooms to a floor, so with rooms on both sides, it's not huge. THere is a staircase and an elevator in the middle so that does make the hall longer. Perhaps someone will post who remembers it better!

Best wishes,
Sally
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I answered your other post about Hotel Henri at 9-11 rue Saint Jacques. It's a great hotel in a touristy area.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 01:26 PM

FYI, the king bed in the triple room at Au Manoir was very large, even if the room itself was not huge. Maybe that would serve your needs, all things considered....
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 02:16 PM

The Muget is small and, as far as I remember, there are no long corridors. Suggest you hold on to the reservation as they're hard to come by.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Aaak! Muguet, of course.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 02:31 PM

The 160 x 200 equates to a Queen in the US.
We must be "exceptionally fussy" - we book twin rooms in France to avoid any double beds. In Holland, Germany and Switzerland the doubles were big, usually like joined twins, with separate top covers. Quite comfortable.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Have you tried Hotel Carofftel Gobelins? It is on the Ave. de Gobelins (5th), very near Rue Mouffetard, and a very nice place at moderate prices, 89E for a triple. Ask for a room with a balcony and a view, and you will get a very large room for Parisian styles.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:38 AM

TTT for To_Paris
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:49 AM

you have replied here as well

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34658090
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:53 AM

We stayed at the Muguet last month. My sister had a double room for her and her girlfriend. They each had their own bed which I believe were twins. Looked like they could be pushed together to make a "double" bed. They had a shower with a window that opened to the courtyard. While the view wasn't extraordinary, they enjoyed opening the window to hear birds, and someone practicing piano.

The hotel is small and the rooms are not far apart. We used the stairs to go between floor 3 and 4 with little effort (the elevator can take forever at busy times).

Our triple room had 3 twin beds. We did have a tub/shower combination but it was a chore scheduling. My sister took the longest to get ready so we had to set the alarm so she could get her shower and get out so we could use it. Sometimes I ended up going upstairs to use my other sister's hairdryer. We had a room on the front which is on a very quiet street. We could see about 1/3 of the Eiffel Tower out our window. The air conditioning was wonderful. Quiet, and worked well (Trane).

The breakfast was 7.50 which is very reasonable.

We really enjoyed our stay here and if you have a reservation, I wouldn't change it. My daughter (23) enjoyed it a lot. Like me, she likes small hotels.

All the desk clerks at the Muguet speak excellent English so if you don't get the answers you need by e-mail, give them a call. Just try to call later in the morning when they aren't busy checking people out. Do ask if the room has two twins.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -