Hotel de Lutece, Paris - stayed there ?

Sep 28th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Hotel de Lutece, Paris - stayed there ?

I've been offered a small double on the ground floor - E126 as opposed to the normal E158. Has anyone stayed in this this room ? Is it the cupboard under the stairs ?

Thanks.
Oct 14th, 2004, 06:52 AM

ttt
Oct 18th, 2004, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

francophile03, thanks for topping for me. I've decided this room sounded too dodgy & that I'll go for another I'd been offered elsewhere.
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:28 AM

Caroline, where are you staying instead? I have decided to stay there instead of the Colbert. But in a 'normal' 158 euro room which I'm not sure will be really like. It's not going to be the top floor view rooms for sure I know that much.
Oct 18th, 2004, 05:44 AM
amelia

francophile: I stayed in a 158E room last January (and I stayed in the Colbert pre-Melia takoever). My Lutece room certainly wasn't large, but I think the location/room size trade-off was a good value. Very clean place, good staff.

Oct 19th, 2004, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi francophile03. Due to an expensive couple of months we ended up looking to do this trip as cheaply as possible, or cancel. I e-mailed quite a few of the widely recommended cheaper hotels; not surprisingly, at only 3 weeks' notice, several were full. But the Hotel Saint-Jacques on rue des Ecoles, which was full itself, offered me deals at 2 other hotels in the same street and presumably under the same ownership. These were the Claude Bernard at E128 or the Royal Cardinal at E86. I looked up comments about each both here & on Tripadvisor & thought the Royal Cardinal actually sounded better - several people found the Claude Bernard not very clean - so we've gone for that. It was the last room left so I'm not expecting great things, but I'm sure it will be fine just for a weekend. We go this Friday so I'll let you know next week how it was !
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:51 AM

Hi caroline,
We stayed in the Lutece on our first trip to Paris, some years ago.
We loved it. Our room was on the 5th floor, overlooking the street so I cannot help with your room.
I have been told that rooms on the back overlook a garden or courtyard.
My daughter stayed there too, I should check with her and see if she remembers her room ..
It is a lovely small hotel though, I do recommend it!
Oct 19th, 2004, 06:52 AM

Thanks to you both. Amelia, I'm glad to hear your room was nice enough. I love the location and like you said the tradeoff is allright. Would love one of the top floor rooms but I am sure that won't be possible.
Oct 19th, 2004, 09:11 AM

I just heard from my daughter re: her room at the Lutece.
It was on the second floor, back overlooking courtyard. $150- a night. It was not a large room but especially clean and cheerful, with a huge bathroom with bidet etc. She did not bother with the elevator ( holds two medium sized people ) and felt very comfortable there. Hope this helps~
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the information, Scarlett. We're leaving for Paris tomorrow and are moving on after 3 days. We thought it would be fun, since our Paris stay is so short, to concentrate on the Marais and Ile St Louis....although after looking at the weather forecast we may opt to do the Passages.
Anyway, nice to hear the hotel is recommended!
Oct 19th, 2004, 01:48 PM

If you stay there, right in front of the hotel, across the street, is the best pastry shop and cheese shop! In the afternoons, when we were dragging ourselves back to the hotel, we would stop at the cafe on the corner and get a cafe to take away, then stop at the patisserie for something sweet and then up to the room. Heavenly
Have a lovely time Judy, it is a great time of year to be there too!
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:02 PM

Thanks again, Scarlett! I'm taking a packing break and, reading my disjointed last post, perhaps need more than that! I should pour a glass of wine and start my vacation early.
I attribute it to all the pretrip stuff one does the day before leaving....was just shopping for dog sitter food, etc.
We are exciting about staying in a different Paris hotel and now look forward to the pastry and cheese shop!
I agree about the time of year. We usually travel May and the end of hurricane season and love both!
Oct 19th, 2004, 02:03 PM

Scarlett, did you eat breakfast at the pastry shop across from the Lutece? The Lutece charges about 10 euro for their continental breakfast.
Oct 19th, 2004, 03:07 PM
amelia

francophile, we certainly ate our breakfast there. The pain au chocolat is superb!

Oct 19th, 2004, 03:15 PM

Thanks & I guess it didn't cost as much as 10 euro!
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:00 PM

We loved the hotel and on our last morning decided to have the E10 breakfast. I must say, to our surprise, we thought it was worth it. (Although the euro wasn't quite as strong against the dollar at that point.)

Delicious OJ, lots of cafe au lait, fresh heavenly croissants with butter and marmalade. It wouldn't cost E10 in a sidewalk cafe for a cup of coffee and a croissant, but for several cups and several croissants and the juice, I think it would be at least E10.
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:02 PM

For the convenience of staying inside the hotel I always eat the hotel's breakfast so I just may do that at the Lutece too. Thanks again.
Oct 19th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Caroline, please do report back on the Royal Cardinal. I try to keep a list of reasonably priced Paris hotels, and it is even more valuable when there are comments from fellow fodorites!
Oct 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Yes, we ate breakfast in our room. We ate overlooking rue St-Louis en Ille ..sigh..a nice spot to eat breakfast
We had the pain au chocolate from the patisserie , as well as a variety of other treats. I don't think there was anything I did not like ..
When we went into the cafe to get the coffee to take back to the hotel in the afternoon, I was totally blocked as to the words for take away...lol..the man behind the bar was patient but had no idea what I was trying to tell him.
The day before we had eaten lunch at the Salon de The across the street, and the lady there speaks perfect English, so I ran across the street, asked her the correct word, then ran back to the cafe and ordered it to take away..porte something? lol..
Oct 19th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Scarlett, I think the word is 'emporter' so 'a emporter' may mean 'to take away'. Well, I don't know much French other than basic words but your mention of 'porte' made me remember something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO