Funky email from Fodors.com

May 9th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Funky email from Fodors.com

Has anyone else ever received an email from "Staff, Fodors.com" about a poster who wants to contact you directly via email?

I got one this afternoon and I think it's bogus. Forwarded a copy to the the editors but thought I'd survey the forum to see if others have encountered this.

I also X-posted this to the US forum.
May 9th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Eewwww..I hope it is not one of those worms..although there are a few worms posting of Fodors these days too LOL
I have not gotten one, although someone did tell me to expect something in my mailbox...hmmmm. I will have to check and see if MrAmazed sent me something.
Good thinking obxgirl to send it on to Fodors~
May 9th, 2005, 05:19 PM
P_M

I think it's bogus. Some time ago we had a poster called PLMN. She had been posting portions of her trip report to Italy with her mom and dad, and suddenly she vanished before finishing her report. Many of us were concerened, so we e-mailed the editors to ask if they would contact her. They declined, saying they respect the privacy of all posters.

Ira managed to get a message to her through another message board she used and she was OK, just having a run of bad luck, so that's why she never finished her trip report.
May 9th, 2005, 05:30 PM

I get similar messages about my Paypal account. They are fake, spoofed, fraudulent, etc... Reporting it is the best thing to do and don't click on any links in these types of e-mails.
May 9th, 2005, 06:18 PM

no, I've never gotten such a thing but don't think its necessarily bogus like others think. I have trouble getting the editors to ever respond to anything I write to them (I don't think the "editors" ever have, but sometimes whoever is responsible for this web site has, but not willingly). That is some webmaster or something.

I don't think this has anything to do with the spam regarding paypal or banks etc because those are standard sites where spammers know people have credit card info or money and they are trying to solicit personal financial info from you. Fodors isn't on the horizon enough that I can see any advantage to someone trying to fake a Fodors email about the subject you cited.

I think you can tell from the email address if it's legit and will go to Fodors -- don't return reply but respond to the posted Fodors address if you want to. Even if it were legitimate, I wouldn't respond myself. If I want strangers to contact me on some public forum, I post my email address. It could be harmless, but it could be someone you don't want to hear from for various reasons. I just do find it unlikely that Fodors staff is playing "matchmaking" even at some innocuous level.

I don't think it's any of Fodors business to ever contact someone they know the email address of for personal reasons, even people trying to track someone down because they don't finish a trip report.
May 9th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

I don't do Paypal, I've received the bogus

Thanks for your insight, all. Scarlett, I so agree about the worm thing but MrAmazed seems like a genuine poster and not an internet miner. Hope so!

My experience is that if one of us has

The message asking for an off forum response was pretty specific in its content so

I'll report back if I hear something from Fodors editors.

Cheers everyone.

May 9th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

WHOA. Totally hit send too soon. Apologies.

I don't do Paypal but have received similar "mining" messages from ebay and amazon. This seemed different because it inquired about a specific topic I'd posted about on fodors.

I'll report back if I hear from the forum editors.
May 9th, 2005, 07:06 PM

Hi obxgirl, there are constant stories about people thinking they are going to legitimate website but hackers have them go to something else. Your story does not seem legitimate to me. I don't mean your story, I mean the email that you received!

Let us know the outcome please.
May 9th, 2005, 07:17 PM

obsgirl, I do not think MrAmazed is a legitimate poster at all. I have never seen an actual question, post or trip report, only remarks about other posters. Trollish at best.
May 10th, 2005, 03:14 AM
ira

Hi obx,

>..."Staff, Fodors.com"...<

This doesn't seem to be a legit address.

Whenever I have contacted fodors it has been to [email protected].

Have you tried sending an eml to [email protected] ?

I don't rec
May 10th, 2005, 03:44 AM

obxgirl,

"I don't do Paypal but have received similar "mining" messages from ebay and amazon. This seemed different because it inquired about a specific topic I'd posted about on fodors."

It looks like you could have spyware on your computer.

After I send out emails on certain topics I get some spam on those topics. I've tried several clean up programs but none of them seem to have cleaned it up.
May 10th, 2005, 04:42 AM

obxgirl, I'm sure your realize by now your email was bogus.

I have little reason to do so but whenever I contacted the editors, I always received a reply. The only time my email from them didn't have the editor's name on it, it stated it was from "[email protected]"
May 10th, 2005, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

As a follow up, there is what appears to be a very real question posted on the US forum by the screen name who wanted to contact me directly. "bcool" is asking about the Outer Banks.

NYFS, the email I received was from "[email protected]" So perhaps it's legit.

I'm probably blowing an innocent situation out of proportion but I can't figure out why someone would want to ask an innocuous question off of the forum.

Ira, I mentioned in my OP that I forwarded the email to the fodor's editors but have not heard back from them yet.

Sorry, Scarlett, I didn't know MrAmazed was a badie!

May 10th, 2005, 05:41 AM

We learn as we go along on Fodors, who is really a nice poster and who is not. Even those I would consider Not, can be entertaining though ~
But then there are the Pretenders who post with manic intensity, call everyone by pet names, then ask other posters with a different opinion,not to post !! LOL !!
It is a busy little world in Fodorville....we just have to be alert!
The world needs more lerts! LOL...I know corny, I was up too early today
May 10th, 2005, 05:43 AM

obxgirl, Please don't listen to Scarlett. I'm not a troll. I didn't realize trip reports were mandatory to participate on Fodors. Ms Scarlett just doesn't cotton to people who don't always fawn over her.

Contrary to rumors, I am and only MrAmazed.

Scarlett dear, that would be snail mail.
May 10th, 2005, 05:46 AM
ira

Hi obx,

>I'm probably blowing an innocent situation out of proportion

Probably

>but I can't figure out why someone would want to ask an innocuous question off of the forum. <

Some people just prefer private, off list conversations.

I wouldn't bother replying to the eml.

May 10th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Well, MrAmazed, since I have no idea who you are, how would you have my mailing address. If you were a friend, this would not be such a big secret, would it?
Keep your mail, thanks anyway.
May 10th, 2005, 06:05 AM

All I can say about troll-hounding and troll-bashing is, if you spend less time on this board and lead a more productive life, the things that are wrong with this board will affect you less and less.

"Even those I would consider Not (nice), can be entertaining though"

I agree with Scarlett on this point but all too often I find the trashing antics sad. The world is full of nasty, unlikable people. Deal with it.

Scarlett, where were your troll complaints when Degas and dumas1870 were double-posting? (I have proof.) Degas actually cursed out several posters for challenging something he wrote. What was your reaction? A loving fan-fest. Don't you find this just a bit hypocritical?

What possible positive could come from engaging an anonymous idiot out for attention? Fodor's IS WHAT IT IS and nobody can change that unless Fodor's wishes to change its registration process. End of story.

obxgirl, keep after the editors until you get a response. I would definitely get to the bottom of your query.
May 10th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Are we talking about the "real" Degas or the "imposter" degas????
May 11th, 2005, 07:27 AM

Intrepid1, it's nearly impossible to discern (unless you're Fodor's and have access to IP addresses). The best one can do is speculate on an anonymous forum.

I suspect there are some here who post under multiple names as a personal form of entertainment. No one can stop this form of "fun" until Fodor's changes the registration rules (which I fully endorse). Thankfully, I'm smart enough not to take advice from someone who posts so little about their travel experiences or criticizes me for being someone other than who I am.

I could offer my take on the former versus the latter but my dialogue on "Degas" would get too personal and none of it really matters now since that username no longer exists. Let's just say the new "degas" is considerably kinder, less angry, hasn't cursed at posters, and is not inclined to engage and/or stoke the fires of controversial threads, especially those which are political and classist in nature. IMO, this is a good thing. I cannot tolerate anyone who curses at others.

It seems to me Fodor's is getting more pro-active in banning trouble makers but as long as you can re-register with a free email account as username2, those who wish to keep their trouble-making persona can continue to engage in the game.

Fact: trolls are part of forum life on the interent. It's Fodor's responsibility to come up with a way to eliminate and/or discourage them. I participate on another forum for creative professionals and there, the moderators are so strict, you can lose posting privileges forever because they block your IP address. Of course, they warn you first. I welcome that here.

What I cannot stomach is blatant hypocrisy; folks who embrace one kind of troll while trashing, bating, accusing and pointing razor-sharp fingers at all the others. Frankly, the best way to deal with trolls (or any other poster bent on bringing you down) is consider the source and have a healthy laugh.