Notices

displaying email addresses - what gives?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:57 AM
Tonia

displaying email addresses - what gives?

The registration page specifically said that Fodors would not display our email addresses. Today, it wouldn't let me post without it. What gives?

I will NOT be posting here if my email address is going to be displayed. With all the spam and security issues these days, why would Fodors set it up this way?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:00 AM
You are an Idiot

Yea....my e-mail address is [email protected]

My ISP (www.x.com) is great!!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:01 AM
J Correa

I've been posting with a fake email address like usual and it's working fine. I don't believe that the actual registration has been implimented on the site. When it is, I believe you log on like with any other forum requiring registration and then you can post.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:13 AM
carl

Fodors had to have a REAL address to send you a confirmation e-mail, which you used to reply and finally confirm the new registration. It won't be published on the board!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
Tonia

Thanks J and carl... Fodors must still be tinkering with things. On a post just before this one, I hit "post my reply" and got a message that said "Valid email address must be used."

I had put a phony one, but it wouldn't let me post until I put the real one.

I'm testing a phony one with this post, so let's see if it posts.

ps... to the first responder- thanks for using your time in such a constructive way. No, really.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:24 AM
x

Hi...I'm the second post.

They're not tinkering. You probably put a comma instead of a period somewhere. I've done that and it says Invalid post.

What amazes me is that you immediately start another thread WITH your real address and then complain that Fodors will start posting it.

I was simply making the point that a)it wasn't as you said and b) you're an idiot

NOW I feel I've used my time constructively!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:26 AM
x

I am more confused that before. Can anyone advise us what to do.

We registered last night following Danny's diections, and it was fine. But today, I tried to post a question and suddenly they refuse to accept my message without the email address we registered under, and it wont let me change it.

Problem is I used our home account address, and now my husband is pissed he is getting more spams than ever, four already today. Any suggestions? I thought Fodors agree to respect privacy.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:32 AM
bettyk

x, dear, this is only pre-registration. It is not yet REQUIRED for posting at Fodor's. Once it is required, then your email address will not be displayed. Maybe your husband should get a SPAM filtering ISP.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
x

Until there is a logon for registered posters you can post under any name and any VALID address CONFIGURATION. You DO NOT have to use a REAL email address. It just must be in the correct FORMAT. Yes I'm yelling.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:43 AM
x

No joke, this is insane, Fodors said we had to register, which we did. See my note above. Now we are getting spam bigtime, like I never thought possible. And you say its only preregistering going on right now. Somebody is confused, and I'm getting the feeling its us. We are registered as x, but others keep right on signing that way. This is so stupid!?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:43 AM
Tonia

My Dearest x (first responder)- before you flame out on people you ought to have your eyes checked. I posted here to see if fudging the email address would work. I tried two different times and yes, it does work. I'm sorry if this upsets you in some way (aka get a freaking life you message board loser).

Dear x (poster with same issue), try fudging your email address when posting- it seems to work okay. Fodors must still be in the process of figuring out this new policy, and you and I were posting at the wrong time

It never ceases to amaze how quickly people will try to flame someone, when they won't even take the time to read the post.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:44 AM
x

Is it possible they will reconfigure the "post a message" and "post a reply" to no longer require email addresses once the login process is implemented? Until then don't login and use a fake one.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:47 AM
Rosemary

Testing....

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:58 AM
FYI

On the Europe board someone asked about the email address privacy issue and the whole topic was removed. Fodors seems to be a little touchy on this issue so watch what you say or this too may disappear.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:36 PM
Kath

I registered yesterday too. I haven't noticed any extra spam at all. What's the big deal, just delete if you get it. Plus, even a freebie yahoo email account has a good spam filter.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:42 PM
$

Way to go Tonia!!!!!!!! These so called "x's" are the real problem here.

If you resitered then you are nuts. Fodors didn't say to register it said it's forth coming. If you post with a real E-mail then you r asking for it. You can uncheck the box that says about getting something from them or anything else. Can't you read!!

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:52 PM
Noname now

Well, as you can see I used something other than a real registration name and got on without any trouble! It's curious that since registering yesterday I've gotten two very mysterious e-mails..deleted immediately.
Maybe it's from Fodor's maybe not..but I sure seem to be getting more of such things since logging on.Already I am getting bored and a bit uncomfortable with the questionable stuff coming my way. I will wait and see but think if it continues I will be a goner from this site.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:08 PM
nownewsisgoodnews

I registered yesterday too but my mailbox is clean as a whistle. Neither do I anticipate any problem. This registering is old stuff, people, and I think the only site that I may ever have had a problem with was ebay, yet I'm registered with passwords in more places than I can recall. Fodors is the only BB I've participated in that DIDN'T have registration, in fact. Change: always hard to accept, rarely as bad as anticipated.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 06:51 AM
xxx

Fodor's is waiting to sell your e-mail address until they have a big group in their database. They'll also do it down the road at which time you'll forget that it has anything to do registering with Fodor's. C'mon people, they're not stupid. They are, however in this for money. They recently started advertising on their site and anyone who thinks they won't sell your e-mail address for even more money is just plain stupid.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:02 AM
x

I really could not care less if Fodor's does or doesn't sell my email address. I don't open email I don't recognize, I delete it. I just assumed everyone did the same. And not registering at Fodor's is not going to stop spam from coming to your email address. I don't understand why people are so worked up about junk email. You get junk mail at home right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO