Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Prague, what is the easiest great place in alps?

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Fodorites,
My friend, husband and 2 college age sons, from the US, want to go somewhere in the Alps from Prague for 5 days. They are very outdoorsy- snowshoeing, skiing, hiking. Sounds like downhill skiiing is not a given but could be an option. We started looking at connections down to Innsbruck, and it looked complicated.

I know that the alps have thousands of options for outdoor activity - but which place could they go that has good/reasonable travel connections from Prague? I think they would like to avoid flying. Another factor is the trip is Dec 26.

After the alps, the parents will go on to Italy, and the boys need to get back to Prague.

Any ideas for the best spot given all these factors?

Thank you so much!
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 12:26 PM

Anywhere via Vienna would be comparatively easy. There is a direct train from Prague to Vienna, then in Vienna you would change from Wien Meidling to Wien Westbahnhof (a local train), and transfer to a train to Innsbruck. Use the OEBB website. It gives walking times within the stations, which is what I think looks complicated, but isn't really. Changing trains in Vienna would be unavoidable as the trains leave from different stations. What would take a long time however is the journey - it would take about 10 hrs or more. You could instead try going via Munich and from there take a train to Innsbruck, which is shorter (5-7 hrs) but involves a bus to Munich (www.bahn.com). I would not worry about travelling on the 26th but be aware that holiday timetables will be operating. Use the date you are travelling to do your search to make sure you get the correct times.

Have fun!

Lavandula
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 12:46 PM

Actually if you go via Munich that opens up somewhere like Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Germany - not strictly the Alps but mountain scenery and all that goes with it. Also a bit closer for you.

Lavandula
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 02:25 PM

The Tatra Mountains on the Slovak-Polish border are another possibility.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7630700966746/
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 02:43 PM

Another vote for the Tatra mountains - check out what these folks wrote about their recent trip and marvel at the alpine pictures:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/tr...Mountains.html
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 04:23 AM

Garmisch is most definitely in the Bavarian Alps