Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich/Vienna/Prague - what order to do them in?

Oct 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi all - I am in the preliminary planning stages for a trip for next late Nov/early Dec. We are going to Munich, Vienna, and Prague and will probably stick to all train travel. Looking for advice on what order to do these in. I was thinking about Munich - Vienna - Prague...my considerations are:

* which has shorter train travel?
* which has more beautiful train travel?
* is it hard or expensive to fly in or out of Prague?
* do any of these places stand out as being a better place to start or finish?

We enjoy the trains for the scenery and the experience so don't want to fly Ryan Air from one to another. Also, we will be there right after Thanksgiving next year so we will catch the Xmas markets in at least 2 of the places if not all three depending on when they start so that is something we are interested in too. We'll be doing a side trip at each place so open to suggestions there too...did not get that far yet. We will be gone for about 2 weeks. We were in Salzburg last year so if I have to trim one place down at all it will likely be Vienna. Thanks for any advice!!

Kelly
Oct 9th, 2009, 07:56 AM

I suggest: Prague - Munich - Innsbruck (Alps ring the town...pretty effin' cool) - Salzburg - Vienna/Bratislava (one of the better Christmarkt is in Bratislava...less hordes of people)

Innsbruck should be a nice day trip. It's a sizable town, but if you're not really crazy for Alpine sports, one day is enough.
Oct 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM

We flew to Vienna, took the train to Prague, then the train to Munich. From Munich, easy day trips to Salzburg and Neuschwanstein (sp?). Flew home from Munich.

We had to start in Vienna, for a 5-day conference.
Oct 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Which is the cheapest open jaw ticket you can find? Assuming NYC departure: NYC-Munich Vienna-NYC? NYC-Vienna Prague-NYC? NYC-Munich Prague-NYC?
Oct 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys - thanks for the thoughts so far. Couple additions to clear things up...I have started briefly comparing flights (with made up dates b/c it is too far off...). I don't see a significant difference so far so it didn't really help me decide. I figure Munich is the largest of these airports just based on my best guess...haven't been to Vienna and Prague before though.

Kungfufelon - thanks for your tips...esp. the Bratislava one...I have jotted that down as a day trip. My mom is actually Slovak so she is excited to fit that in We've been to Innsbrook so we don't have to worry about that on this trip as a side trip.

Peaceout- thanks for the Neuschwanstein suggestion...we have that down as a definite too I had tried to fit that into a Salzburg trip last year but didn't have the time so from Munich that should be a good side trip.

Any more comments are appreciated...thanks again