Munich, Vienna or Prague??

Jun 23rd, 2009, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Munich, Vienna or Prague??

I am traveling to Austria for a week. Would be staying in Salz burg for the whole trip. have a day or 2 in hands so was confused where to go. to Munich or Vienna or Prague. Would be landing in Munich. But since its so near to Salz Burg can I have day trip to Munich for the sight seeing, instead of staying there. Have heard a lot about Prague also. But its a long journey which takes up a lot of time. Would prefer traveling by train. Can i have a day trip to Vienna, if I am not able to make it to Prague. would be traveling in 1st week of July, would it be raining heavily in Salz burg. I am not much interested in Museums, but want to have the feel of the city whichever I go. Am not able to figure out my itinerary. Hope you are able to help me out. My traveling dates are 3rd July Morning till 10th July Morning. The airport is Munich.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:09 AM

If you are flying into Munich there are some great places to stay right near the train station which is adjacent to the walking/ped. zone. The Hotel Amba, right across the street -http://www.venere.com/minotel/munich/hotel-amba/?ref=567068, & the Hotel Uhland, over near the Oktoberfest grounds - http://www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html. W/two days, it would be most reasonable too me, to save Vienna & Prague for another time. Munich is also a great place to daytrip from as well. If money is an issue, Vienna will also easily be the most expensive.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:18 AM

Are you booked in hotel for your week in Salzburg?

Vienna is a bit far for a day trip. Prague is definately too far.

I would do your side trips to Munich, Innsbruck and areas in between. Maybe save Muncih for last so you'll be closer to airport.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SAnParis2, Have booked Hotel Ibis in Munich for my 1st night. I believe that's near to the main station; this is what they said. Just got dicey actually for Prague and Vienna. The hotels look decent enough. What do you suggest?
bardo1, I've a hotel booking in Bad Gastein, near Salz Burg for the next 6 days, i.e. 4th July till 10th July.
It was reviews about Prague that made me give Munich's stay a 2nd thought. But if I would travel directly to Prague from Munich airport, that would be a bit too much for my husband after an 8 hrs flight.
so, am thinking of taking a tour of Linderhof castle, Obberammergau and Neuwanschtein castle, the day I arrive in Munich. Would that be possible? I would reach Munich, Early Morning at 6. or these castles can be visited from Bad Gastein itself as a day trip.
What other trips can i take in my tour?
I've a morning 11:30 flight to catch back home from Munich on 10th July. Was thinking of taking a morning train from Bad Gastein for the same. What do you think?
Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM

Greetings from Prague.

With only a week, you won't have enough time to come to Prague, but Vienna and Munich will have plenty of sightseeing available for the entire week. I personally like Austria and Germany in terms of food and sightseeing better than the Czech Republic. Enjoy.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM

Do you realize BadGastein is about 1 1/2 hours from Salzburg ?
Not convenient for sightseeing out of the immediate area.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

molker, I believe BadGastein is well connected with all the cities in Austria by trains. I would be there for a week; can I cover the sightseeing near innsbruck, Wattens, Salz Burg and Munich. What do you think? Isn't it feasible?

Thanks nancicita, have deleted Prague from my list and I think I'll have to skip Vienna as well
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:33 AM

Personally, I would probably stay two night IN Salzburg, 2 in Innsbruck and 3 in Munich - and maybe some shorter side trips from those three. But that's me.

You are entitled to your own preferences. Your plan for a week in BadGastein is feasible. Don't sweat it if that's what you want. Good call on Vienna and Prague, though. Do them as a separate trip.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bardo1, I would be staying in an apartment in BadGastein for my vacation. so i believe I can visit Salz burg 2 days and InnsBruck- 2 days. my 1st day in Munich. 1 day in Graz.
Now I need to check the places that I can see in my trip. any suggestions?
Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:08 PM

I believe you miss the point of my comment. If you state your plan is 2 days in Salzburg, 2 days in Innsbruck, 1 day Munich , 1 day Graz and your visit is just one week staying in Badgastein- Why stay in Badgastein and spend endless hours on the train.?I am aware that the Austrian train system is effective , but a good portion of your trip will be spent in the train.
You can find a much better base, like Salzburg or you should re think your visits- but perhaps you use a time share.
Jun 24th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

you are right molker, We are using time share for my stay in Bad Gastein. Now I have got confused about the property.

Can anybody help me out if the property http://www.bellevue.mondiholiday.at/...ormationen.htm
Mondi Holiday is good to stay for a week.
Jun 24th, 2009, 04:14 AM

time share - that explains everything. It's fine. Molker, me (and everyone else?) were assuming you were paying out of pocket. Staying for free in Bad Gastein is a better option than paying for hotels in Salzburg, Innsbruck and Munich.
Jun 24th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

So, do u think It's worth coming all the way from India; stay in Bad Gastein and visit this part of Austria for a week?
And dear, this all is not for free; I've already paid 1300 Euro for my trip (that may not be much for most of you, I know), which includes just the airfare and accommodation in Bad Gastein. Now, I have my fingers crossed for the property to be good.
I got to know about this blog just few days back, but now I know one should not go to Europe like this because the countries are small but not very small that you can cover staying in just one place. So, would take care next time. and surely ask you all for the advice.
Anyways, Have anyone of you been to MONDI-HOLIDAY HOTEL Bellevue Bad Gastein?
And any suggestions for the must visit places from Bad Gastein?