Norfolk, England-North Coast

Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Norfolk, England-North Coast

Planning a weekend trip to the North Coast of Norfolk and am trying to decide where to visit.

I'm looking for nice seaside village-ish atmosphere with walks and good food is another plus. Not into the seal or bird watching, or the amusement park arcades on the beach boardwalk type of thing.

Any suggestions? So far, I just have plans for walking the North Coastal Path.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:27 AM

Hi, I love this part of Norfolk and there's loads to see and do.
Lots of great restaurants serving seafood, especially the local speciality, Cromer Crab.
Some of my favourite places to eat (and some of these do accommodation which you might be interested in) –
White Horse, Brancaster
www.whitehorsebrancaster.co.uk
White Horse Hotel, Blakeney (try the warm crayfish tart!)
www.blakeneywhitehorse.co.uk
Hoste Arms, Burnham Market
www.hostearms.co.uk
Victoria Hotel, Holkham (close to Sandringham and where the Queen rides her horse on the beach)
www.holkham.co.uk
www.holkham.co.uk/html/beach_walk.html
www.sandringhamestate.co.uk
The Lifeboat Inn, Thornham (fantastic location right by the beach)
www.lifeboatinn.co.uk
The little town of Holt is worth a visit. It has a very good restaurant called Yetmans, and an amazing delicatessen and food hall called Bakers and Larners. High Class picnic food!
www.bakersandlarners.co.uk
The wide open beaches of Norfolk are great for walking and are never crowded. Many are protected by the RSPCB and National Trust. The striped cliffs of Hunstanton are interesting and unusual although the town itself itsn't that exciting.
Most of the villages mentioned above are picturesque.
The Poppy Line Steam Railway goes along the coast and is a superb day out – you can go on and off as you choose. We went from Sheringham to Holt, shopped in Holt and then walked back. For part of the way the line goes right next to the sea.
www.nnrailway.co.uk
And some walking routes-
http://www.theaa.com/travel/basicsea...tuslistpoi=new
Hope this helps to kick off some ideas.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM

There is scarcely a seaside village worth staying in along the coast with accommodation.

The White Horse is actually at Brancaster Staithe - a pleasant no-horse hamlet overlooking the coast, but not a village. Burnham Market and Holt are substantially inland - though excellent small towns - and Holkham is inland too and has little more than a hotel and massive posh estate. The one seaside village with accommodation along this bit ofthe coast is Wells Next the Sea - where you can smell the rancid burgers from a mile away. On a coastline packed with le tout Canonbury and their cottages, Wells is a Chavsville: put there so the weekending chatterati can be reminded of the pleb estates round their elegant Regency pads at home

Many pleasant yachting places - like Burnham Overy Staithe - are devoid of accommodation. Blakeney isn't really seaside (though it probably once was), but is just about the closest to what you're looking for. The beach is accessible from practically everywhere: but there's surprisingly little development at the coastline itself, save for the awful Wells.

Or try Cromer. A bit Victorian - but no rancid burgers and real hotels by the sea.

Separately: see Walsingham. An extraordinary gastronomic haven (best chippy in East Anglia, and excellent local deli). But more famous, for the past century, for its Pilgrimage Wars, with every variety of 'bells and smells' Christianity (including some you've probably never heard of. Polish Orthodoxy?) having rival establishments. TOTALLY unEnglish, and well worth a "fools who come to scoff" visit. Suitably close to Stiffkey, whose randy Rector eventually got killed in a lions' den (google him)
Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:25 AM

In addition to Morgana's excellent recommendations, you might also like Cley-next-the-Sea. There's a windmill you can stay in(!)

http://www.cley.org.uk/home/main.html

Flanneur's description of Wells is pretty harsh, IMHO. It has a lovely beach, and The Crown Hotel looks ok.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:26 AM

PS Perfect day - steam train, walk on the beach, sandcastles, fish and chips.....
Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM

Okay, I understand Chavsville but what does Canonbury reference?
Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:06 PM

It's a bit of Islington.

He's saying (in a mildly derogatory fashion) the Norfolk coast is full of middle class Londoners escaping for the weekend
Jun 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM

Thanks, RM, learned something new today.
Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM

I like Wells too!
I mentioned Sheringham when I recommended the Steam train plenty of accommodation here. You can combine a walk along the beach with one through Repton's Sheringham Park and a drink at the Red Lion at Upper Sheringham.
www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-sheringhampark
Jun 24th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Sheringham and Cromer..absoutely great
Jun 24th, 2009, 06:06 AM

I love Sheringham and Cromer.

The Bristol Hotel in Cromer is a bit spendy but highly recommended. As is the Cambridge B&B. Eat in Maryjanes fish and chip gaff.

Sheringham has a very limited supply of hotel rooms (but is only a short hop on the train from Cromer).