Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good base to stay in South Wales

Oct 10th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi, there!

Me and my wife are planning our holidays in Wales. We´ve hired a car to explore this beautiful country for a week. We´ve already chosen our first "base" in North Wales for the first part of the week. Now we need to decide a good place in South Wales for the rest of the days, but I´m not quite sure which is the best one.

We don´t want to be on a constant rush during or holidays, so we prefer to skip some places. That´s why we were thinking to chose between Pembrokeshire National Park and Llyn Penninsule. Which is the best one?

Thanks for your help and sorry about my english mistakes! (We´re from Spain)
Oct 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM

Llyn (Lleyn in English)peninsula is in the north, not the south of Wales!
You will enjoy the Pembrokeshire NP, and it's stunning coastline.
Oct 10th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I am afraid I've chosen the wrong words. I already knew pembrokeshire is in the south and Lyin is in the north coastline. We were just wondering if it was a good idea to spend more days in the north area visiting Lyin península and skip pembrokeshire. Apart from that question I am looking for a base to explore south wales (not necessary in pembrokeshire but a good place close to the most interesting places in the whole south area.
Oct 10th, 2009, 06:36 AM

Where are you based in the North? That will affect whether the Llyn/mid Wales is makes more sense than going south. How long do you have?
Oct 10th, 2009, 06:51 AM

As an alternative to Pembrokeshire you might consider the Brecon Beacons in S Wales. What do you want in a week? Scenery, towns, historical sites?
Oct 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Hetismij, we´re staying in a B&B house close to Betws-y-Coed the first three or four days. We want to spend those days driving North and Mid-Wales, visiting villages, countryside, castles etc. We think that´s a good place close to everything. In fact, we were wondering if it was better to explore just North and Mid Wales (remember we don´t want to be on a constant rush during our vacation) and visit just one or two "must-see" places in the South. That´s why I asked for Lyin vs Pembrokeshike.

Hetismij, our initial idea is to visit "a little bit of everything" in a week (if possible). That is, countryside, coast scenery, castles... We prefer quiet places (not all the time, but mainly).

We still have to decide many things so, we´re open to your suggestions! It seems North & Mid Wales has a lot of everything in a smaller area but maybe I´m mistaken!