Italy honeymoon Itinierary help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2013, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I posted a couple months ago about Italy and a few other places and now we have decided that we want to stay completely within Italy and Sicily for 4 weeks. We want to see Sicily, Lecce (puglia), Rome, Tuscany and maybe Venice. We can go for 4 weeks anytime from June thru Aug 1, however July would be best because we the lease on our apartment goes through June, which means we will be paying rent through the entire month of June. Is July really that much more crowded and hot than June?

Folks in my previous post suggested to start in the south (sicily) and work our way north because it's hot down there earlier. We are using airline miles so we are pretty limited on our options and it seems easier to get a flight into Rome, rather than Sicily. We can definitely fly out of Milan, so that is not an issue. So my question is, would it be ok to fly from the states into Rome and then somehow have to get to Sicily to "start" our trip...then work our way by train up to the north? Or should we try to find a way to fly into Sicily (there are routes from the US on american, but using miles we would have like 4 stops to get to sicily and it would take forever!)

Another option is to use miles to fly into a hub like Paris or London and then try to find a cheap flight to sicily.

Any suggestions on how to make it work?

Thanks a million!
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 02:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well yes July can he pretty hot, just check WIKI's advice on the area and the climate details on the bottom, but one week either side is not going to make much difference. What you will find is that as you move into July that there are more tourists about (especially locals). By August Italy is getting on for saturated with people ;-) .

So, if it were me I would recognise that Al Italia will not be allowed to go bust but loses money on most of its flights because the internal flight prices are very low, so if I were in Rome at the airport I might fly on. But if in terrible jet lag I would go into Rome for a few days.

Italian trains are very good see seat61.com
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 04:21 AM

When we went to Sicily we were also using miles and so could only fly into Milan. Rather than stressing over a connecting flight upon arrival in Italy, we spent the night in Milan, enjoying a few sights and had a good sleep before flying the next day to Palermo, eventually working our way north to fly out of Pisa.. I would definitely stay at least one night upon arrival in Rome and even look to see if it makes sense to do your entire Rome sightseeing on the front end before heading south. It would not be worth it to me to have the flight into Sicily that had several stops just so you could "start" from the south.
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 05:42 AM

You say "but using miles we would have like 4 stops to get to sicily and it would take forever"

Do you really think you can't handle a multi-leg flight to Sicily even though it doesn't cost you anything? Does it really make that much difference? You'll be jetlagged no matter what, whether you land in Paris or London or Rome or - a bit later - in Sicily, your arrival day and - to a point - the second day will be a bit of a haze later on, but that's normal.

But the savings from flying all the way to Sicily on miles could be tremendous, and the time saved from not having to make it two trips to get there, so think again.

Cut back on luggage, and I mean CUT BACK, travel light so switching planes is not a physical chore. If you need a shirt or a sweater, buy one there, back home it will make a great souvenir that brings back memories of the trip every time you pull it out of your closet. And you'll have the money to spend if you use miles to get all the way to Sicily.
Old Nov 6th, 2013, 05:46 AM

Plus, if you're traveling in summer, you can pack much lighter. Seriously.

When we visit Italy in the spring or early fall, we get by with a carry-on each.
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

yeah, i was thinking we will definitely travel very light!