Reload this Page >

French Riviera in March, May or August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 01:33 PM
alex

I want to do a trip starting in Barcelona and ending in Rome for around 3 weeks driving along the french/italian riviera. My wife says we should go in August when it is hot so the kids can enjoy the beach (1 and 4 yrs old).<BR><BR>I say bollocks to that - it will be hot, crowded and expensive - let's go in March 31 where we can get a great deal on everything and skip the beach thing (we live in California 20 min from the beach).<BR><BR>What do you think?

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Laurie

ALL of Europe is packed &amp; expensive in August &amp; you'll have to worry about finding accommadtions with A/C. I'd opt for March/April &amp; it could well be beach weather (60's - 70's) if not swimming weather.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 02:20 PM
jj

I vote for May, definitely May.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 10:29 PM
PB

I would also say May. <BR>In March many places will just be reopening after the winter and it can still be cold. In August every coastal area will be packed with tourists and it will take you hours to drive a few kilometres on the coast roads.<BR>PB

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 01:47 AM
xxx

It will still be cool in May, maybe less expensive and most likely less crowded. We went in July when it was very busy - warm and beautiful though!<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 07:54 AM
carol

May by all means May--especially the last half of the month. It's still not really beach weather in March, but in May you stand a good chance of some hot weather.

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:18 AM
Wendy

Alex,<BR><BR>I would opt for May, too, if possible. March can be windy with some rain in Nice, not pleasant for touring. Have a great trip!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Book Chick

Alex, May, without question or hesitation. Prices may be a bit higher than March, but August will be cheek-to-jowl with everyone else, and hotter than blazes. March can be cold &amp; rainy, but May is usually temperate &amp; pleasant.<BR><BR>Bon Voyage &amp; Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Lisa

I am planning a trip to France mid to late April. We will start out in the North -Paris, Normandy, and Brittany- then take the train to Avignon and make several stops along the way until we reach Nice.<BR><BR>Please tell me how the weather will be at this time of year. I visited Paris once before in April and it was beautiful. I am beginning to believe that I was just lucky that time, though, because it seems like everything I have read recently has mentioned very iffy weather for mid to late April. Please let me know what you think.<BR><BR>I am also wondering about the mistral. Will these winds be whipping during late April, or will they have already passed? <BR><BR>Thanks to all!

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:21 PM
PB

Lisa,<BR>It's hard to say what the weather will be like at the end of April. In the past several years the weather patterns have been changing (global warming ??).<BR>In the past five years we've had Aprils when it's been in the upper 80s and other when it's been cold with some rain.<BR>The Mistral can blow at any time - there is no 'season' for it. But it does blow most often in January, Feruary and the beginning of March.<BR><BR>PB

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Lisa

PB -Thank you for answering my question. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. The weather is very changeable in the US at that time too. <BR><BR>Whether it rains or not, I'll be very happy to be in France. Of course, it will make it that much nicer to tour if the weather is sunny!<BR><BR>Thanks again!