March or August?

Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
March or August?

My husband, myself and our 16-year-old son would like to revisit Paris. The last trip (2000) we went in mid-March, using part of our son's school break so that he didn't miss a lot of class. It was wonderful (of course), and there were hardly any crowds, but it was barely spring. If we return next year, we can choose between March and the last two weeks of August (when our son finishes his summer job). What do fellow travellers suggest?
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 07:04 PM

If its not "April in Paris", then March would be the next best thing.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 07:22 PM

Ticket prices will almost certainly be far lower in March than you will find in August, if that is a consideration. I've gone in both months, but I always return in March because it's an active time and the value is there. August brings crowds, heat and some places may even close for summer vacation (although there is still plenty to do and see, so it's not a huge issue.)
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 07:25 PM
rex

Is it two weeks versus two weeks? or shorter in March versus longer in August?

And is saving money of high importance?

Need just a little more info to advise.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:25 PM
rex

It's easy to bring your message back up "to the top", Kat. You just add something - - anything - - in the form of a reply. It's sometmes actually called "topping".
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I've never been there in March, as a Floridian I think I wouldn't enjoy it so much as I do in summer. I'm not big on needing to "bundle" up so to speak, and I also love the trees being out in Paris -- seems it would all appear so bleak in March. Taking an evening stroll along the Seine in March can't compare with the same stroll on a balmy August evening.

Despite what some say, August is a great time in the city. Yea, some stores or businesses and a handful of restaurants may be closed. There are tons more of them. You will want air conditioning in the hotel or apartment to be sure, but Paris is rarely horribly hot (well except for the summer of 2003).
I wouldn't enjoy eating outside every meal in March as I generally do in August -- a major part of what I love about Paris -- sitting and drinking or eating at sidewalk cafes. Besides in August they do that wonderful thing where they turn the Seine into a "beach" -- your son would love that!
And if you do some shopping, you won't believe the deals. They may be the current year's fashions but that's still a year or two ahead of most of what you might find in the US.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:42 PM

March...definitely! I've done both months and a lot...but March wins out. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:51 PM

Have not been in August but I've been several times each in July and in March and I prefer March. Much less crowded and has a different "feel". I'm usually one who says I'm not bothered by the summer crowds but for Paris I really did prefer March. Some year's it's quite beautiful with temps in the high 60s, although I admit some times it's fairly nasty. But then August could be unpleasantly hot. Many cafes have gas heaters outside so you can quite pleasantly dine outside even if the temps are on the cool side. It gets dark around 6-7pm in March giving you plenty of daylight, but also plenty of time to enjoy the city of lights with the lights on. In July it doesn't get dark till after 10.

The only thing that would make me pick August would be if you had more time (for a longer trip) and/or if you wanted to go somewhere else besides Paris. The countryside is nicer in summer.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 07:00 PM
rex

I've been to Paris in May, June, July, August and September. I haven't found a bad month. It must be borne in mind that snow and winter weather are possible in March - - and the daylight hours are a good deal shorter. Of course, it's accordingly cheaper to get there then - - and perhaps? a little bit cheaper to stay?