Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

French language school near Le Havre / Direct train from CDG?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your help.

Is there a french language school/ homestay near le havre (but NOT in le havre)? such as honfleur? Can't find anything online. Otherwise, can you recommend a good teacher/ homestay / school for adult that can have access via a direct TGV to Le Havre (ie. without having go go through Paris?), I went to Rouen last year so I will rule that city out as I want to try another place. How about is there a direct train from LH to south of france or Lyon? It seems everywhere I go from LH, I have to change in Paris.
Is there another way , apart from St Lazare station, to go from Paris CDG direct to Le Havre?
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:51 AM

There is a direct TGV from Le Havre to Lyon that departs at 07:55. The rest of the day you would have to go via Paris.

To get from CDG to Le Havre you will have to go into Paris and take a train departing from Gare St-Lazare.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for info regarding direct TGV from Le Havre to Lyon. What time is the train from Lyon to Le Havre direct?

I read that there is a direct TGV from CDG to Le havre but I cannot find anything when I search the train website.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:45 AM

I don't know why you can't find any, I just did in a couple minutes. Just go to www.voyages-sncf.com and right on the front page you just fill in the box on the right side with the two cities and pick a date. I picked June 22nd, then reservez (or horaires if you only want schedules) and immediately got a listing of trains and they show if they have connections or not. One at 7:55 am did not. I think that was the only one, though.

I checked the same date for Roissy to Le Havre and didn't see any direct, that seems very unlikely to me. Actually, it seems impossible.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:46 AM

There isn't a TGV line from CDG to Le Havre as far as I know. You have to take a bus to Creil or St-Crépy and then the train, or get into Paris and take a train from the Gare St-Lazare.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:50 AM

FYI the reason I said that is because of the geography and the rail lines. There isn't any fairly direct route between CDG and Le Havre, I don't see how it could possibly have a direct train. Sure, I guess it could be the same train and just stop in Creil or Amiens or Rouen or somewhere, but it just seems unlikely to me. And it wouldn't be a TGV.

Take a look at this map of the TGV lines, it isn't possible
http://www.bonjourlafrance.com/franc...ns/tgv-map.htm
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM

The only direct TGV from Lyon to Le Havre departs at 17:26.

The German Rail site has the best detailed timetables for virtually all of Europe. Go here: http://tinyurl.com/2c9d8sw.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I have finally found the Le Havre to Lyon direct train schedule. Why is it that the direct train takes almost the same time to go from LH to Lyon vs LH to Paris to Lyon. It is more than 4 hours on a direct train. I don't understand. Can someone explain it to me please?
How about it there a direct train from LH to Provence? It seems that to go from LH to anywhere apart from Normandy towns, one has to connect in Paris. I am going to LH in september and want to get away for a few days but hope to avoid having to transit in Paris ( I arrive in Paris ).
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 04:17 AM

Paris is almost on a straight line between Le Havre and Lyon. If you click on the map link on the German Rail site for the direct Le Havre-Lyon TGV, you'll see that it goes close by the west side of Paris. (It stops at Versailles.)

The direct Le Havre-Lyon TGV goes on to Valence, Avignon, and Marseille. The stops are the same in the opposite direction.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply.