Annecy, Vevey or Bern

Search

Annecy, Vevey or Bern

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annecy, Vevey or Bern

Travelling from Bodensee, where we (teenage son and I) will be cycling for a week, to Avignon area. We don't want to take this journey in one go but would prefer to break the journey with a two or three day stop en route. Considering one of Bern, Annecy or Vevey. Which of these do you think is the most appealing and would offer options for a teen? We will not have a car. Any advice would be appreciated. Also open to alternatives. Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM

Hi dreamon,

What time of year will this be? The internationally famous Montreux Jazz Fest will be going on in Montreux 1-16 July, so that may either draw you or repel you.

I haven't been to Annecy but spend one or two weeks in Montreux every year. I can testify that there is quite a lot to do and see from Montreux (Gstaad mountain town, chocolate factory in Broc or the chocolate train, castle Chillon plus castles in Nyon & Morges, vineyards of the Lavaux, medieval towns like Lutry or Murten, etc).

I think Bern is a great city -- but I personally would prefer to spend time in a smaller town than a city, and I always prefer a lakeside destination.

Have fun with your planning!

s
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 08:34 PM

I think Annecy would be a perfect place for a couple of days. It is in a gorgeous setting along the lake with the foothills of the Alps in the background, and the old town section has lots of charm.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Forgot to say what time of year, which is always important. It will be late September.

Thanks for the information Swandav and Grandmere. I am certain that anything to do with chocolate would be a hit! I'll look up Broc to see how easy it is to get there. What is the name of the chocolate factory? Is it Nestle?

For Annecy, do you know if it is easy to access Talloires and the Gorges du Fier using public transport?

Thanks!

We will be travelling on a budget (not skint but trying to keep a lid on costs) so if you have any recommendations for accommodation, I'd love to hear.
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 02:46 AM

Hi again,

The chocolate factory is by Cailler though it is owned by Nestle. Its website is at

www.cailler.ch

The train stop for the factory is at Broc Fabrique.

I think we can help more with hotels if you could give us a specific figure or range, and if you could give us some of your preferences (central location, quiet location, views from the room or from the terrace), etc. However, without knowing that, I think you guys can get a good room at either the Youth Hostel in Territet (suburb of Montreux and very close to Chillon) or the Riviera Lodge in Vevey.

BTW,the vineyards of the Lavaux are spectacular in the Fall! You can begin (or continue) your son's wine education at one or two of the caves.

Hope this helps!

s