Reload this Page >

Frankfurt area one night lodging & car rental pickup

Old May 30th, 2004, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there
I am travelling to Europe for 25 days in June with my young adult children. I have booked all of our accomodations, mainly farms in southern Germany. We are finishing the trip with 4 days in Paris. We leave Paris July 3rd and fly out of Frankfurt July 4th 2:30. Any suggestions for accomodations near the Frankfurt airport that won't break my budget? We have a rental car that we are dropping off at the airport.
We are picking the rental car up at the Euopcar office downtown Frankfurt. What is the best way yo get there from the airport? Taxi or public transport and approximate cost?
Thank you for this and all the great information I have pick up here. It has made planning this trip part of the adventure.
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:18 AM

There isn Ibis Hotel at Kelsterbach just a few minutes from the airport.

The rates are 69 euros a night for a double. Breakfast is a further 9 euros pp.

From the hotel take a train to the main city station and from there a taxi to EuropCar, which will be no more than ten minutes away.

Harzer
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:05 AM

Also Hotel Tanne in Kelsterbach, minutes from airport
Old May 30th, 2004, 04:10 AM

We used Holiday Inn Express last summer. Was very new, with breakfast included. Got a great rate on the HI website and it was very easy to get to and from the airport.
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Sharmca,

We just picked up our car from the downtown office of Auto Europe. It was about a 20 minute, high speed ride that cost about 40 euros including tip. The savings was minimal, and considering we had to navigate our way out of Frankfurt I don't think I'd go that way again, I'd just cough up the airport tax. Have a great time, our trip through Bavaria was fantastic.
Marge
Old May 30th, 2004, 10:14 AM

......try the Steigenberger Esprix Hotel
- it's at the east end of the airport
area.

It has a HUGE buffet breakfast that
would certainly fill up young adults
-esp. if they are male! <g>
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:36 AM

The Hot Kempinski Gravenbruch is a world class facility and about 1/3 the fare on Fri and Sat nights. South of FRA in Neu Isenburg and a few minutes to the A/P.
The best hotel for a w/e departure, but why didn't you get the car at the airport? The best arrival hotel IMHO is JagdSchloss Niederwald a couple of KM up from Rudesheim.
M
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I booked the car downtown as it saved about $250 CDN and I was led to believe that picking it up there was not a problem. Now I am wondering if I made a mistake.
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:49 PM

If I remember correctly, the savings I was quoted was about US $80 to pick it up downtown instead of at the airport. The autorental guy told me he remembered the cab ride being 30euros (it was 40). It wasn't unbelievably difficult to find the right road out of Frankfurt, but it was tricky, and we were tired. From the airport it's much easier to get onto an autobahn and head out.

With those numbers and knowing what I know now, I would have picked it up at the airport. It's up to you to decide if you want to stick with a downtown pickup. You don't say where you're headed to after you pick up the car. We drove to Rothenburg o d t, which was a few hours away. We could have saved ourselves probably an hour after a 7 hour flight by picking it up at the airport too.
Best, Marge
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:03 PM

Marge,
I agree! I have not looked recently At FRA, but Auto Europe was the same in Oporto 6 weeks ago when I looked at A/P v. Train Station v downtown.
Prices are now much higher.
M
Still like the Kempinski for the last night (Fri or Sat) flying out of FRA!