Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Is it worth it going into Frankfurt to pick up a car to save the $80 airport pick up fee?

Is it worth it going into Frankfurt to pick up a car to save the $80 airport pick up fee?

Aug 5th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Is it worth it going into Frankfurt to pick up a car to save the $80 airport pick up fee?

I will be flying in to Frankfurt and want to rent a car. There is an additional $80 fee to pick up the car at the airport. I can save this money by going into the center of the city for the pick up. This is the location:
Allerheiligenstrasse 52
60313 Frankfurt

How far is this from the airport, how would I get there and how difficult is this to find location? We will be traveling east when we leave Frankfurt. Is this worth the hassle? Or, isn't it one? thank you for the help.
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I forgot, I could also pick the car up at either of these places.

Pfaffenwiese 320
65929 Frankfurt am Main/Hoechst

Dieselstrasse 29
60314 Frankfurt
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:53 AM

what company is this that you can save the money with?? i can't speak to the difficulty, but i could add this for your consideration: if you are coming from the usa you have been on the plane all nite....i don't know about you but i am a bear when i arrive in europe and have to spend an easy day that first day and you have already indicated that you must drive east from frankfurt---$80????? is it worth the aggravation? i do agree that the airport renting is getting out of control dollar wise...a
again i ask what company offers this savings??
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Every company has this additional fee at the airport or at the main train station. This is Sixt.
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Intrepid

How about a train or cab into the city? Train would be easier and then a cab from the station to the location? Just a thought.

Aug 5th, 2003, 01:00 PM

julies, what is "Sixt"? Is that a rental company? Could it be that this company does not have an office at the airport, thus the surcharge?

How about those bigger companies (Hertz, Avis, Budget, etc.) with desks at the airport? Have you tried AutoEurope? (You should.)

Have you thought about the return of the car too? Coming and going, you're much better off, luggage and all, using an airport rental car company!
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:07 PM

Sixt is a big company here in Europe and we've rented with them many times. I believe they're the German equivalent/partners? of Budget.

How about picking up a car in Mainz? It's just a 20 minute train trip from the airport station and it may be easier to find the rental office in a smaller city.
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Tuck, ALL rental car companies charge a "surcharge" when you pick up a rental car at the airport. You can avoid this surcharge by picking up the car at a non-airport location, which julies is enquiring about. Whether it is worth the hassle is an individual decision I guess.
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:25 PM

$80 is $80. Hell yeah it's worth a little inconvenience. I'd check other companys' rates though.
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:39 PM

bettyk, I'm surprised to learn that, which is why I tune into this board...so many things I didn't know!

(IMHO, I still think it's worth the $80.)

Aug 5th, 2003, 02:52 PM

From the Frankfurt Airport you can take a suburban train (S-Bahn) to Konstablerwache (16 minutes) and from there it is a four-minute walk to the rental agency address.

Dieselstrasse is further east, but you have to change from the S-Bahn to a streetcar to get there.

Hoechst is west of Frankfurt--not the direction you are going.

Whether driving out of the center of a major city is worth the hassle, I think, is something only you can decide.
Aug 5th, 2003, 05:17 PM

my wife and i fly into frankfurt because we think it's the most convenient airport to navigate and super easy to get to the rental car desks and even easier to get to your car. and just as easy to return. we couldn't imagine messing around with trains/cabs, busses after a long flight to save $$$ at such an easy airport.
Aug 5th, 2003, 06:07 PM

I would still check AutoEurope At least get a comparison rate. I just did a check and the rates were the same for pickup/dropoff at airport and po/do at train station. ($336 for a VW Golf for a week)
Aug 5th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

I'm the original poster. AutoEurope was the 1st place I checked and was planning to use initially. Then at the last second I found out that the voucher with quote they had generated for me did not reflect my request to take the car into Eastern Europe. Apparently when you do the quote on-line the computer generates the voucher and does not catch the part for Eastern Europe. I learned the hard way. And, when you want to go into Eastern Europe, the rate jumps considerably. Sixt beat AutoEurope's price by a long way on this one.

I also posted this question on Lonely Planet's site. Here is a response I got there. "No hassle. S-Bahn S8 or S9 from the airport to Konstablerwache (16 min.) plus a walk of 200 m.
Ticket price EUR 3,20.

The DB timetable gives you train times plus a map for the walk.
Change to the folder "Advanced search"
From: [Station/Stop] "FRA" (enough for Frankfurt Airport)
To: [Address] "Frankfurt, Allerheiligenstrasse 52" "

We never travel with a lot of luggage anyway so we're planning to save the $80. I went to via Michelin and found that it is only actually 3 miles from the pick-up location to the autobahn in the direction we're going.

Thought I'd put this informationout here for anyone else in the future who is cheap and thinks that this is an exhorbitant charge.
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:04 AM
jmv

Shows the advantage of checking a couple of boards with different cultures. This board tends to have a number of older travelers for whom time may mean more than money up to a certain point. Lonely Planet (and similar) has primarily young travelers for whom the option to save a few bucks by sucking up a bit more grief is a no brainer. Helps to know where you fit but this proves that sometimes it's a good idea to check out both.
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:08 AM

I don't know the answer, I am trying this myself Aug 28. I saved $80 from AutoEurope by going downtown. They set me up with their closest downtown office to the airport (Hanauer Landstrasse 117). I figure its worth the extra 1/2 hour, $20 cab ride to net a $60 gain. My dropoff is at the airport (that doesn't cost extra).

I've used Autoeurope before and liked them. If the web-site gave you problems you can call them on the phone and they will fix it. But going to eastern Europe is going to cost you more with almost every agancy.

I got a 4 door compact for $410 for 12 days (w/o eastern europe) and thought it was reasonable. It would have been $490 at the airport.

Good luck!

Aug 7th, 2003, 04:31 AM

For what it's worth:

My recent 3 week rental of a 5 door Peugeot compact, manual, to and from CDG, with Budget came to 565.61 EUR. I didn't think to inquire what the cost would have been had I picked up the car somewhere in Paris.

Other years (not this one) my AAA membership resulted a discount.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Curiously, I had the same sort of question and I managed to answer it after some investigation. I will be arriving in Frankfurt on Sept. 12 and will pick up a Europcar rental away from the airport. That will save me more than $80. Getting from the airport to the pick-up station - in my case Am Industriehof 3-5 - is a snap. A ten-minute taxi ride or a 30 minute train ride (cost 3.40 Euro) will get me there. And this Europcar office is directly north of the airport. I would not recommend picking up the car in a location near the center of Frankfurt. Traffic there is a nightmare and you might lose your way trying to leave the city.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:32 AM

To Tuck:
I have checked with all rental car agencies at the Airport and they all have a 15% surcharge if the pick-up is at the airport. You can avoid this extra expense by picking up the car at a location away from the airport but you can drop the car off at the airport at the end of your trip.
Aug 27th, 2003, 01:10 PM

Thanks roterbaron, for passing on the results of your research. This is what I like about this forum!

Search this Thread