Search

Four Nights in Italian Lake District

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Four Nights in Italian Lake District

Dear Europe Fodorites:

My wife and daughter want to spend four nights in the Italian Lake District. They flying into Milan Malpensa airport about 6:30 pm on Sept. 10th. At first they were they were going to go and stay a night in Milan, then a night in Bellagio, then back to Milan for a night, then spend a night in Stresa, then back to Malpensa airport about 2:30 pm, to depart for their next destination (meeting me in Venice).

I noticed Malpensa is half way to the Lakes Maggiore and Como anyway. So I am suggesting two nights in Bellagio (although might have to be a night in Como then a night in Bellagio because bus from Malpensa does not get into Como until about 8:30 pm, apparently too late to catch a bus or boat to Bellagio).

Then they would go back to Malpensa airport via Como by bus, then take a bus from Malpensa to Stresa for two nights there.

Does that sound like a good itinerary or should they instead stay in one place for four nights, such as Como or Varese?

Also any ideas on how to get from Como to Bellagio at 9 pm?

Molte Grazie and Asante Sana,

Kevin from California
(An Africa Forum Fodorite)
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:05 AM

1. I would rather spend four nights in one place than move three times (first in Como, then Bellagio, then Stressa). Your family will spend more time packing, unpacking, checking in, checking out, and finding transportation to the next venue than enjoying themselves. Having said that, four days in Bellagio (my choice) seems rather long, but there are ferries to many Lake Como towns from there. Como (the town) is not as picturesque as Bellagio, so I recommend spending the time in Bellagio, not Como.

2. I'm sure you can get a taxi for the 15 minute ride Como-Bellagio. Your hotel can probably help in that regard.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM

It is 31 Km from Como to Bellagio (that's about 18-19 miles).

there is a taxi that can do that in 15 minutes?
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:24 AM

stakerk,

I would also suggest basing in one spot for 4 days. Just so you know, it's about a 2-2.5 hour drive (depending on traffic) from Malpensa to Bellagio.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. May I ask your advice then. Where would <font color="red">you <font color="black">spend four days?</font></font>

Thanks,

Kevin
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I think either Stresa or Bellagio would be fine for 4 days. Actually, it sounds more like 3 days, if your wife isn't arriving until early evening.

From Stresa, you can take day trips to the famous Borromean Islands, which are a short boat ride away. You can also take a boat trip ( whole day excursion) to Lugano, Switzerland. We stayed at the Hotel La Palma on the main street, facing the lake, and liked it very much.

In Bellagio, there are some very beautiful gardens to explore. You can also visit other towns ( esp. Varenna!) along the lake. Town itself is very small and touristy,(esp. June-August) but the views are gorgeous, and the crowds clear out in the late afternoon.We stayed at the Hotel Belvedere last summer, which is just uphill from town ( about a 10 min.walk) with exquisite views from many of its rooms.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:04 PM

&quot;It is 31 Km from Como to Bellagio (that's about 18-19 miles).

there is a taxi that can do that in 15 minutes?&quot;

I drove from Como to Bellagio. The narrow winding road took exactly 60 min. pls note, I am not a slow driver by any means.

The road Como - Menaggio is reportedly much faster. I am about to find out, in about two months .

I would stay in the Bellagio/Varenna area for 4 days and take ferries around the lake or drive to Como and Lugano.

Hotel of choice Villa Cipressi, Varenna

best,

-e
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:21 PM

&gt;Where would you spend four days?&lt;

We chose to stay for a week in Lugano - exactly an hour's drive from Malpensa. A beautiful lake; a quick hop over to Menaggio and over to Bellagio and Varenna. We also made daytrips to Lake Maggiore and Orta S Giulio.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM

My bad. 48 minutes Como-Bellagio according to viamichelin.com.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Fodorites:

I am the &quot;daughter&quot; on this trip. My question is:

Is it even feasible to travel by bus around the lakes?
and how hard is it?

Also:
I am not going to Como...too, well, not fun. I would rather stay the &quot;extra&quot; night in Stresa and do a day trip over to the scenic Swiss side of Lake Maggiore and/or Lake Lugano. Would that be better?

Note: The objective of this trip is to enjoy the lakes and the scenic beauty of the area. It is NOT do the shopping/touristy things.

With this new info is there any advice you can give?

Much appreciated!