For engadine

Feb 18th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

For engadine

Hi,

We are going for a 14 day trip to Switzerland from 9th- 23rd June, and plan to stay 3 days ie. 20th-23rd June in either Sils/ silvaplana or Grauda.

I am personally very keen on Gruada because of its wonderful architecture, and the quaintness and the serenity that this village seems to convey through some of the pictures that I have seen.

However the rest of my family ( my husband and my sister ) are more keen on sils/ silvaplana because we are already staying in mountain villages during the rest of our trip (Engelberg and Murren) and they feel that we should stay by the lake for some time at least.

However I have written to several places in sils/ silvaplana, looking for a place by the lake...but they all seem to be out of our budget. We were hoping to spend not more than 250CHF between the three of us.

I was also wondering if Grauda would be a better base. For the first day we just plan to be around the area in which we would be staying (either sils/ grauda), second day plan to take the bernina express route till pochavio...and explore some places in between...is Murgal doable on the same day...and then the thrid day we would want to do some easy walks...or just relax...unfortunately for us the cable car to the Piz starts on 23rd..the day we are leaving for Zurich!

Someone please help...with what is a better base...grauda I know of a place that we would want to stay in...

However if you people feel sils is a better place...please suggest something in that area within our budget.

thanks
Genie
Feb 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM

I spent a little bit of time in the area early last spring. I can't answer your questions about Sils vs. Guarda, but I will further confuse things by suggesting the Palazzo Salis in Soglio. We were too early in the year to stay there, but we are definitely going to go back there to stay. Soglio is charming, and the mountain setting can't be beat. Busses will take you wherever you want to go in the Engandine/Bregaglia Valley. And it's in your price range.
www.palazzosalis.ch/
Feb 19th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

This really does look like a fabulous place...I quite like pension val toui in guarda as well...so lets see...

Any options for sils?? Have checked most of the places mentioned on this forum...most of the ones who replied were beyond our budget..am waiting to hear from pension chaste.

Any more options...??
Feb 19th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

I've heard from Hotel Chesa Grischa. They are offering us a room with lake vies, half board at 329 CHF, along with mountain railway pass.

We were hoping to do Murtas Murgal and the bernina express, however the mountain railway pass cannot be used for either.

Does it seem like a good deal? Also has any one stayed here...any reviews?
Feb 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM

I haven't stayed in the Hotel Chesa Grischa. It looks nice from the website, though - and I walked by a couple of times.

A few rooms have lake view - I hope you requested that explicitly. I *love* Sils and think it would be the perfect spot for your stay. Postal bus stop is right in front of the hotel.

The Bernina Express train excursion takes a full day, especially if you want to do full justice to it and explore the cute town Poschiavo a bit, maybe even stop at Lake Poschiavo. No time for Muottas Muragl that day.

You could squeeze in Guarda on the day of departure to Zurich. Take the train to Guarda, bus up to the village, explore an hour or two and then take the bus down to the railway station where you can take the train to Landquart where you change for the train to Zurich. Very doable.

I still hope you hear from Chesa Silva in Silvaplana. It is located closer to the railway station St. Moritz than Sils and should be a bit cheaper. Sils is the more beautiful village, though.

Don't worry about the other day in the Engadin. I'd recommend you either hike or bike in the Fex Valley. Or take a horse-drawn carriage.

Ingo (eagle on Tripadvisor)
Feb 20th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Ingo...I got my inspiration for going to the engadine area after looking at a few pictures of Swandav....and after reading all the wonderful posts and pics that you have done here...have pushed my family even more to make it into a longer stay.I really am looking forward to my three days here...am trying my best to pull out one more day ...

Yes the Hotel Chesa Grischa is giving us the lake view room...
Haven't heard yet from either Chesa Silva or Pension Chaste. Think will call them up tonigh.

If views and scenery and to some degree accessibility were our only criteria between these three...which one would you advice us to choose?

Thank you yet again...

Genie
Feb 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ingo,

I heard from Chesa silva..their summer rates are not out yet. They say they will be able to offer us something by end of march.

Would you be able to suggest which one is the best choice between these three?

Hoping to hear from you!

Thanks
Genie
Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:30 PM

The scenery is quite similar for all three. I personally think Chesa Silva offers the best views since it sits slightly uphill from the lake. Accessibility: Sils is a good 10 or 15 minutes by bus from Silvaplana - if that's an issue for you. On the other hand, the bus stop is *right* by the Chesa Grischa and the Pensiun Chaste while you have to walk 5-7 minutes to Chesa Silva.

Please note following: Both Pensiun Chaste and Chesa Grischa are located in Sils-Baselgia, which is the smaller part of Sils (the other is Sils-Maria, where the main square and most activities in Sils are to find). Sils-Maria and Sils Baselgia are a (pleasant) 10 minutes walk from each other.

I found watching the windsurfers on Lake Silvaplana quite entertaining - another plus for Chesa Silva.

Pensiun Chaste has the most charm and familiar atmosphere - if this is important for you.
Feb 27th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi Ingo,

I am sorry for the delayed response...or rather thanks...we did not have access to the net since the past few days...our computer decided to act weired.

I think I will wait for the summer rates from Chesa silva and pensiun chaste and then decide.

Thanks for all your help...

Genie