Reload this Page >

Floriade question

Search

Floriade question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Penny

Floriade question

Hi, I've just been reading reports on the Floriade and quite a few people seem to have been disappointed. That was back in May. Has anyone been this month (July)? Or late June? Are reports still the same? I really don't want to fork out lots of money to go to the Netherlands specially for the Floriade if it's not all it's hyped up to be.<BR>Apart from being much bigger, how does it compare to something like the Chelsea Flower Show (not as crowded, I hope!)?<BR>Thanks a lot,<BR>Penny

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Danna

Penny... we were there in May, and it wasn't nearly as great as Keukenhof... unfortunately I think Keukenhof is a spring thing and closed now... Floriade is a horticultural event, not all flowers. There are cultural exhibits, energy and water use exhibits, stuff about the future etc.... and some really amusing air bladders under wooden plates that when jumped on create huge flatulence sounds through adjoining wooden logs. Although there are certainly beautiful flowers!.... There are plenty of flowers and reasons to fork out money to visit the Netherlands along with and beyond the Floriade... I hope you decide to visit, Enjoy!

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Penny

Thanks Danna. We've been to Holland many times over the years, but never the Floriade. I suspect from what I've read on this site that the Floriade wouldn't be worth a special visit (we'd only pop over from the UK for a night or two).<BR>Thanks again,Penny

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 04:08 PM
hnh

Went to the Floriade on April 29. It was early in its "run" so things were not as bushy, etc. as they would be now. They have made arrangements to have some tulips in bloom all the way through to October. It is worth going to because it happens only every 10 years,and my friend and I decided we'd better go this time. So "worth it" depends on your interests. Keukenhof has something called "Zumerhof" which begins in August, I believe and it features summer plantings. Having seen one Floriade, I would not go back to another, but it was worth going once.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Penny

Thanks hnh, but oh no, now I'm undecided again!<BR>Penny<BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 03:09 AM
Myriam

I had plans to go to Floriade myself. From what I've heard from friends who have been there, it's not a traditional flower show. If you can look at it from an ecological point of view, it should be worthwhile. I'm still undecided as the next Floriade will only be in 2012 ...

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Cindy

We are going to Floriade in September. We have been told that there are different plantings for each season, so it should be beautiful at any time. I talked to someone who had been there in May who told me at that time the people at Floriade were in the process of taking out spring plantings to put in summer plantings. So hopefully we won't be disappointed.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 02:52 AM
Penny

Thanks Cindy and Myriam. <BR>Still undecided...!