Keukenhof after the tulips are gone...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still thinking of changing our May itinerary (trip to Switzerland) so we can go to Keukenhof. Is it still beautiful and worth a visit if the tulips are already gone?
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:41 PM

We were there the first week of May, and the tulips at Keukenhof were still going strong (though the tulips fields in the surrounding countryside were mostly cut.

If you went there at the end of the month, after the tulips were completely gone, you would be missing what makes the garden so distinctive and famous.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Not having been there after the tulips are gone, I can't really say for certain. But having been there during peak tulip time in late April, it seems to me that going to Keukenhof post-tulips would be like going to a movie when the credits are rolling. Maybe someone else has more insight, but if your primary reason for visiting The Netherlands is to see the tulips in all their glory, save this visit to another time when you can go during peak bloom.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 10:36 PM

Keukenhof out of the tulip-season is boring.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 12:54 AM

To reiterate what BaltoTraveler said above, my wife and I were there in the second week of May 2000 (IIRC May 10) after the tulips in the fields were gone and still really enjoyed it. Keukenhof was still going strong as (I'm pretty sure) they maintain the displays until the closing date of the gardens. In fact, we were also there last year during the second of week of April (IIRC, at Keukenhof on 12-Apr) and enjoyed it more the first time as this time was a bit early. (Some fields had some tulips and the dafidols were up, but many sections of the garden hadn't bloomed yet.)

Enjoy your trip,
Paul
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:00 AM

The park is still a nice place to walk through, with many interesting features, but without the color of the tulips. It is odd seeing all of the decapitated tulip torsos. However, we were in the neighborhood, so to speak, staying in Haarlem, and the park made for a nice walk after we arrived (to combat jet lag). I wouldn't travel from Switzerland to see it (after the tulips). Surely Switzerland (or some nearby country) has a botanical garden that will give you a fix.
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 06:04 AM

We thoroughly enjoyed Keukenhof- stayed at the Golden Tulip de Nachtegaal- a nice, and reasonable hotel at the edge of the gardens.