Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever been to Floriade - Horticulture Event in Netherlands?

Old Mar 12th, 2012, 02:52 PM
TC
Original Poster

I am lucky enough to be making a trip to Amsterdam the first week of April 2012. Its so exciting to be in the right place at the right time - finally! -- to see the tulip fields in bloom. We will do all the standard tulip tours, such as Keukenhof Gardens. However, I've just found a web site for Floriade 2012. It sounds a lot like the Chelsea Flower Show - only super-sized! According to the web site, this event is only held every 10 years. It opens 5 April, so I would be in the Netherlands at the appropriate time. Is it a must see? Is it something that could be done in a single day? It looks massive, but their web site isn't terribly organized. I think we can get to Venlo from our base in Amsterdam by train, but have no idea how long that would take.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.floriade.com/floriade-2012
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM

I went thirty years ago. However, it was July so there were few bulbs, but the outdoor grounds were stunning. I don't know if the 1982 versuin was in the same place, but I took a train from Amsterdam and spent several hours there. I enjoyed it immensely, but I am a flower and garden freak. My sister said she would OD on flowers quickly if she followed me everywhere when we were in Holland in the spring. I spent a late afternoon/evening at Keukenof and then went back the next day. Fortunately we were not joined at the hip and she went off to do her thing.
Old Mar 14th, 2012, 03:54 PM

I went to the last Floriade - it wasn't about flowers so much as what I'd call a gardening show. There was a big hydroponics exhibition (actually really interesting) and a massive building whose roof was entirely covered in solar cells. I enjoyed it but it wasn't what I was expecting, because we have a yearly event in Canberra called Floriade too, and it's all about spring bulbs. I am not that into gardening that I'd spend more than a day there but I guess if you were really interested you might spend more time. Food was expensive and there was a monopoly on catering by the one business so I'd go prepared - either to spend lots of money or take your own sandwiches. I also must have gone early in the season (don't recall) because not much was happening outside.
Would I call it a must see - mm, again, I'm glad I saw it but I'm just not that into gardens.

Lavandula
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 02:45 AM

The Floriade is more like the world expo for gardening than a flower-show. It is a nice trip, but expect it to be very crowded.

If you want to go there from Amsterdam, the train needs 2 hours, 5 minutes. NS (the Dutch railways) will sell a special package: train + shuttlebus + park entry for €33 (valid april 2 to april 29).
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 03:01 AM

I've been to Floriade and agree with the sentiments above: more of a gardening show than a flower show. I enjoyed Keukenhof a great deal more.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 02:21 PM
TC
Original Poster

Thank you all. I believe that concentrating on the bulbs near to Amsterdam is more fitting for this trip. I was just at the Chelsea Royal Horticulture Show in London last May, so will skip Floriade. I'm not much of a gardener either.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 02:35 PM

TC - we are doing the Keukenhof AND floriade with my mum at the end of April. the main purpose of the visit is for her to see the Keukenhof gardens as an 80th birthday present, but she said she would like to see the floriade too as she went there with my dad 30 years ago.

you will be there before us, so perhaps you can report back on the Keukenhof?