Florence to Positano

Search

Florence to Positano

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence to Positano

What is the quickest way to get from Florence to Positano on land. We want to take the train but not sure of the route. Thanks.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Take the train from Florence to Napoli Centrale. Go to the lower level of the station and take the private Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento. Take a SITA bus from Sorrento to Positano.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The way TimS describes is what I would do.

But if you really want the "quickest" way, you should have a car and driver waiting for you at the Naples Centrale station to take you directly to Positano.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM

If you do take the Circumvesuviana (which is just the local commuter train) ignore the guys who run up to help you buy a ticket...
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM

Have a look at the National Railway timetable here at:

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/cms...0080a3e90aRCRD

you'll also find a detailed explanation about how to reach Positano from Naples at:

http://www.summerinitaly.com/plannin...o_sorrento.asp

hope it helps!
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, very helpful. This is our first time and we lots of questions. The tour company is pushing private drivers to every destination. They were charging 300.00 dollars from Venice airport to the enice hotel. Can we just gey a cab? To save time to Positano welike the idea of a car tp Positano. Any suggestions on a car company?
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:30 AM

In Venice I assume you are talking about a water taxi and yes they are very expensive - though normally more like €110-120 I believe, so €300 sounds like a rip-off. Where exactly are you staying ? You can either get the Alilaguna waterbus from the airport to various stops or a land bus to Piazzale Roma (the only part of central Venice where vehicles are allowed). In either case you may need then to get another waterbus to the stop nearest to your hotel. If you tell us exactly where you are staying we will be able to advise the easiest route.

Cars from Naples to Positano are all about the same price - c.€100-120. If you search on this board for Positano taxi you will find various recommendations.

There are other options to Positano like train to Salerno then bus - avoids Naples & means 1 fewer change. Or various options by water, depending on the time of year. When will this be ? ?
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Caroline, we are leaving in 3 weeks ! We are booking all hotels today. They have rooms at the Amadeus and Novecento in Venice for 2 nights. Any thoughts? Then off to Florence for 4 nights, it's between the Antica Torre Tourabano and teh Hotel Bellini. The Antica is priced better but Iread they don't ahve a conceirge which we will really need.
Then off to Positano for 3 nights at the Le Serinuse and then to Rome for the last 2 nights at the Oxford? Before we book hotels any thoughts?
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:06 AM
ira

Hi N,

I would take the train to Salerno.

The ferry docks are 3 blks from the train station.

Take the ferry to Positano.

Much more scenic, and a lot easier than schlepping luggage on the Circumvesuviana and the SITA Bus.

For Ferry schedules Positano – Amalfi - Salerno (P.zza della Concordia):
See http://tinyurl.com/3cbhkb

Old Sep 30th, 2008, 06:22 AM

noridog, I can't really comment on your hotels, other than their locations, as I've never stayed at any of those ones. In Venice I'd prefer the location of the Novecento. In Florence I have stayed at another hotel on via dei Tornabuoni and it's an excellent location. (Why do you need a concierge ?) I can't find a Hotel Bellini in Florence ?
In Positano Le Sirenuse is of course *the* traditional luxury hotel and if you can afford it, great ! In Rome the location of the Hortel Oxford is very convenient.

Anyway, if you let us know which one you decide on for Venice, we can advise the easiest way to get there without forking out for a water taxi.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 11:47 PM

Hi Nori - If time is important, a limo from Naples station (- Napoli Centrale) to Positano will be quickest.

The following have all been recommended here.

- Positano-based

www.positanocarservice.com
www.flaviogioia.com
www.limocarservice.net
www.benvenutolimos.com (Praiano)

- Sorrento-based

www.tourofitaly.com
www.francescomarrapese.com
www.cuomonet.it
www.seesorrento.com
www.sorrento.it

Prices vary - so shop around.

Expect to pay €90-120

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:27 AM

Adding to Steve James post, I know that Francesco Marrapese will drive from Naples to Positano and vice versa. He will take you on a tour to include Pompeii and Amalfi Coast. In other words, he's very flexible. In other words, being based in Sorrento or Positano doesn't really make much difference. I suspect that that's true for most of the rest of the private drivers who have been recommended here.

Our cost from Naples to Positano a few years ago was on the order of 100 €.

Sam
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Is it possible to check into the hotel in Positano and be able to tour Pompeii the same day we arrive by train? or is that too much? We are spending 3 nights at Le Serinuse and were hoping to do Capri a day and Pompeii.
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It depends on what time you get to Positano and how interested you are in Pompeii. We spent the better part of a day at Pompeii and didn't see everything. In any event, I really don't think you want to do that back-and-forth thing.

You could take the Circumvesuviana from Naples Centrale to Pompeii, check your luggage at Pompeii, see what you can in the time available and have a car and driver arranged to pick you up at the Pompeii entrance at a set time.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:45 AM

Jean's is a much better idea.

I'm a bit unclear about how you are now planning to travel about, but it would be madness to go from Naples (*past* Pompeii which is just outside) all the way to Positano, then back to Pompeii, then back to Positano. By car it would cost 3 x (€100-120), by bus & train it would take 3 x (at least 2 & probably more like 3+ hours).

Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 06:45 AM

If seeing Capri and Pompeii is the priority in a 3 night stay, consider staying in Sorrento instead of Positano. It's easy to get to Capri and Pompeii from Sorrento, and you can stay in the Grand Hotel Excelsior Victoria or other hotel on the cliff overlooking the Bay of Naples.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Okay, my husband is thinking of renting a car in Florence and driving to Positano with maybe a stop along the way for lunch. I believe it is a 3 hour drive? Is this realistic? Could we drive straight to Pompeii and then to our hotel in Positano? or should we do Pompeii the following day?
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM

According to www.viamichelin.com, if you stick to motorways as much as possible, it's a 5hr20min drive from Florence to Positano.