Search

Traveling to/from Positano Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to/from Positano Italy

Hello!

Does anyone out there have any advice on how to travel to Positano from Naples best, and then from Positano to Salerno? I am having trouble finding out if we should purchase ferry tickets now, and if so, how to do that (most ferry links I am finding on these forums are outdated and no longer work).

I currently have ItaliaRail tickets purchased from Rome to Naples, and Salerno to Florence...just need some help figuring out how to best navigate ferry options for Positano.

Thank you!!
Old May 10th, 2015, 11:03 AM

the easiest and cheapest way from Naples main train station to Positano is by CircumVesuviana commuter train to Sorrento then the world-famous Amalfi Coast buses to Positano - there are Naples to Sorrento ferries but then you have to transfer from the train station to the boat docks, over a mile away.

sorrento I believe has some ferries to Positano and Positano to Salerno but again the bus is always an option in the worst case scenario.

the CircumVeusviana train line costs just a few euros - buy tickets at the Naples Circumvusivana station - adjacent to the main Naples Centrale station - linked by a walkway to it.

BTW you either have Trenitalia rail tickets - the state-run railway or ItaloTreno tickets - ItaliaRail is just an agent to buy tickets thru but does not run any of their own trains. For lots of great info on Italian trains of all types - some great sources: www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:46 PM

Many folks here seem to think hiring a private driver for Naples to Positano is a good investment - the CircumVesuviana is over an hour to Sorrento then the bus another hour in optimal conditions of Positano - even the ferry if go all the way can take time - especially because you have to do from the train station to the dock and possible change ferries at Sorrento.

Lots of folks here with bags epspecially have found that a private driver and there are many recommended here in the past was a smart move, saving time and hassle and really not that expensive though I can't recall exactly what it was.
Old May 10th, 2015, 12:56 PM

Private driver for Naples-Positano is about 100-110 euros. It's especially cost effective if yo have a group.
Old May 10th, 2015, 04:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
One of the issues taking a ferry from Naples to Positano is you much get from the train station to the port. Ferries don't run often and no, they don't have tickets available online. Since the ferries don't run often, you might have to hang around waiting for one. Service to Positano is limited and if the sea is a bit rough, they don't put in to Positano. If you arrive with luggage, you will need to hire someone to take your luggage up to your hotel (lots of steps in Positano).

You could take the Circumvesuviana (down a level in the train station from your arrival train) from Naples to Sorrento and then catch the Sita bus on to Positano. It departs from the train station. You could also arrange a driver from Sorrento on to Positano.

You can arrange a driver or take a taxi from the Naples train station. There are set fees available, but you must ask for the set fee before entering the taxi. Here's the list (click the pdf).

http://www.comune.napoli.it/flex/cm/.../IDPagina/1193

From Positano, you might be able to get a ferry to Salerno if the times work with your train schedule. There are only a few ferries per day so times may not work out. You will need to get from the port to the train station. Otherwise, you can take the Sita bus from Positano to Amalfi and change to the Salerno bus. The bus will drop at the train station.

I've seen a few posts about Positano Shuttle so you might check it and check for some reviews. It might be cheaper to take a fixed rate taxi depending on how many are in your group.

http://www.positanoshuttle.com/
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:32 AM
ekc

Another vote for a private driver from Naples to Positano. It is what I do every year and it is worth every penny.

There are no ferries from Naples to Positano. You have to take the ferry from Naples to Sorrento, then a separate ferry from Sorrento to Positano, which is currently not in service.

Ferry from Positano to Salerno is the easiest, and the most beautiful IMO.

www.coopsantandrea.com for ferry schedules. When and if the ferries start to run from Sorrento to the AC, the schedules will be posted.
Old May 11th, 2015, 10:50 AM
ekc

And no need to book ferry tickets in advance - I always just purchase mine the morning of.
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:11 AM

At least to Capri and Ischia from Sorrento I always just walked up and bought tickets - I did notice in Capri however to go to Naples the large car ferries had plenty of room for walk ons but the fastest smaller boats were sold out - I assume those boats along the Amalfi are larger boats - do they take cars - if so you can always get on any ferry - at least daytime with cars as deck passagners IME.
Old May 11th, 2015, 12:21 PM
ekc

The ferries along the AC are large - much larger than the hydofoils that travel betwen Capri/Naples/Sorrento. But not so large they hold cars.

If you are really concerned, you can purchase them the day before. I usually travel end of June/early July and have never had a problem.
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:00 PM

We just returned a few days ago from a trip to Positano and we used a private car/driver service - Guemartravel - from Naples to Positano. We were picked up at the Naples train station and were driven to our hotel in Positano. We stopped for some pictures along the way. The driver was fantastic - he was professional, courteous and very informative. He handled all of our luggage and the cost was 100 euro. We were able to enjoy the beautiful scenery while relaxing in the back seat.

I cannot imagine trying to take luggage on a bus. The buses along the Amalfi coast are very crowded - sometimes people are pushed together like sardines. We experienced this personally several times during our week there.

Also during our time in Positano, there was one day when we had bad weather - rain and wind - and that day the ferries were not operating in or out of Positano. I would hate to be stuck in position like that.

For us, spending the money on a private driver was a no-brainer.
Old May 11th, 2015, 01:44 PM
ekc

Bab, there is the Coast to Coast bus service from Sorrento that has luggage storage under the bus. However, I agree that the private driver to get to Positano is the easiest solution and money well spent.

Ferry from Positano to Salerno to catch the train to Rome is easy and lovely.
Old May 12th, 2015, 05:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I cannot imagine trying to take luggage on a bus. <<<

You don't take it on the bus where people are sitting. Your luggage goes underneath like on any tour bus. If you are getting off somewhere random (like a hotel up in the hills), you need to remind the driver to wait while you retrieve your luggage.
Old Jun 1st, 2016, 04:35 AM

I don't recommend Positano Shuttle. We used them for Naples airport to Positano and they were fine. BUT on return, even with our same Hotel address emailed to them and calling to confirm, they didn't turn up. Almost missed our flight. They refuse to refund the 95 euro they charged us for 2 people, saying we gave them the wrong address- yet they had it on the same email they replied to saying they were keeping our money. We waited 35 minutes for a no show, despite calling them 3 times and then had to pay a taxi 150 euros to get to the airport. AVOID this company. Even our taxi driver laughed when we said whom we'd booked with- apparently we weren't the first to have this experience.
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 08:57 PM

Get the hotel to book a private transfer for you. They charge about €110-120, and that way you are sure of them turning up. Of course will know when we go in a few weeks!
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 08:58 PM

Ditto for ferry tickets!
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 09:46 PM

Positano Car Service.

We used them twice this past March -- from Positano to Naples Train Station and when we first arrived, from Naples Airport to Ravello.

Excellent, reliable, honest. Good communication (email etc.)