Florence/Siena transportation help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will making our first trip to Italy in about a week but have yet to find a definite course of action in regards to transportation. Should we rent a car in Florence and the make our way to our Hotel (in Siena) or should we take the train to Siena and rent the car there? We do plan on spending at least one day in Florence though, and have heard it difficult to drive in to it. What would you recommend?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:47 AM

Don't drive in Florence - pick up the car on your way out of town. Do you plan a lot of day trips while in Siena?

If you don't have much luggage I'm sure a train to Siena would be fine - but when you leave Florence you may find your luggage and other bags have multiplied since your arrival there!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

we do plan on taking a few trips (exploration of vineyards, cinque terre, Florence)
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:00 AM

I'd suggest picking it up on your way out of town. I usually have too many bags (purchases accumulated along the way) to make trains much fun. Once you leave Florence the driving is no challenge and you can meander through Chianti on your way to Siena.

If you stop in Castellina in Chianti, we had the best gelato of our entire trip there! It was in a little shop that was in some dug-out Etruscan ruins.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:11 AM

The easiest way Florence-Sienna is bus, not the train. The bus station in Florence is just down the street from the train station. In Siena, the bus station is central, just outside the city wall, across from the Jolly Hotel. The Siena train station is a good distance from the walled city - either a cab ride or a long uphill walk. Also the bus is quicker (about an hour and ten minutes) and is direct while the train takes longer and I believe requires a change.
Florence is not a place where you would want to drive. Inside the walled part of Siena is also not a place where you would want to drive.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Our hotel is located outside the walls of Siena, but for those of you who recommend renting from a car agency outside of florence, how do you get yourself there? Train, taxi, bus? Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:28 AM
ira

H M.

Bas is correct. Take the bus to Siena, much easier than the train, and rent your car in Siena.

I would spend at least 2 nights in Florence.

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:58 AM

From Florence, the Cinque Terre is in the opposite direction than Siena. CT is well north of Florence while Siena is south. So, it all depends on how much time you want to spend driving around. Vineyards on the other hand are plentiful in Tuscany where you will be if driving directly Florence-Siena.

Probably the easiest way for you to explore Tuscany would be to take the Bus to Siena and use Siena as your base, renting your car there as Ira suggested. Is your hotel near the city walls? -- that is within walking distance. If not and you want to explore Siena, well worthwhile by the way, consider a hotel closer in or within the walls (but no car there within the walls). On the other hand, you may staying in the lovely nearby countryside in which case you can enjoy your surroundings and still visit the city. If you mention your hotel, someone on this board should be able to tell you its location in relation to the walls.