florence to siena bus/train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it possible for American (no Italian)
to take bus or train from Florence to Siena?
Is Siena possible to see on foot once there?

Thanks.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:39 AM
tmt

I took the bus from Siena to Florence. Quite simple; I think it was only 45 minutes and runs often. Siena is certainly walkable, actually better walkable for me.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Take the SITA bus. The bus station is just round the corner from Santa Maria Novella train station. The buses are faster than the train and take you up to the old town of Siena, whereas the train station is down in the valley. The centre of Siena can be seen on foot - in fact, it has to be seen on foot because most streets are closed to individual traffic.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Do not worry one bit about not speaking Italian. There are enough people in Florence and Siena who speak English that it will not be a problem should something come up and you need to ask questions.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, taniaroth,

Yes you can get reasonably easily from Florence to Siena on the bus, but it does mean that you have a pretty boring journey through teh heavy traffic to the south of florence.

i haven't done it, but guide books say that you can get the train, and then a bus from the station into siena. i would certainly give that a go another time.

regards, ann
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM

I agree with taking the bus.

However, to feel totally comfortable, check out www.trenitalia.com . You will see that the train is slower and sometimes there a connection. You will need to take a bus to the old town from the train. To buy a ticket back to the train station, go to a tobacconist shop. Make sure you take the right bus back. I once enjoyed a very scenic tour of the new town of Siena and had to start all over an hour later.

Going through www.google.it , I found the sita bus site, with an English button that does not work. www.sitabus.it
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:12 AM

The train station in Siena is at the bottom of a hill. You can take a local bus or a taxi up to the top (and the "city" itself. The station is in no way in some "valley of the shadow of death."

It is probably not as convenient as taking the bus from Florence since you may have to change at Empoli as mentioned above.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:30 AM

taniaroth,
The bus is easier http://www.mega.it/ita/not/sita.htm

You can't drive in Siena.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 10:49 AM

There is no reason to take a train from Florence to Siena unless you happen to be crazy for train travel or hate busses. As others have mentioned, the bus is faster, no need to change, it leaves you as close to town as you can get - the central bus station is just outside a main gate in the wall (across from the Hotel Jolly) and is cheaper as well. It is also comfortable. The ride is pretty scenic and you see some hill towns in the distance along the way. The ride out of Florence is neither long nor boring.

The bus station is very close to the train station and not speaking Italian is not a problem, at least less so than taking a train where you will probably have to change at Empoli and deal with a taxi or bus from the train station in Siena
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:18 AM

hi, tani,

clearly, basingstoke's trip from florence to siena was better than ours!

regards, ann
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Clearly. We have travelled by bus between the 2 cities in both directions and enjoyed pleasant trips. We also used the bus for day trips to a couple of hill towns including S.G's out of Siena. I don't recall the exact fares for these but it was a pittance.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 11:46 AM

hi, taniaroth,

i don't think that there will be much difference in cost between bus and train- both are pretty cheap in italy.

regards, ann

ps siena is very doable on foot. as well as the usual sights, try to get to the basilica of st. francis, to see the amazing nativity scene, and the chapel dedicated to the incorruptable communion wafers [200 years and counting!] and the san domenico chapel, with a painting of one of the ugliest christ children you have ever seen, but the best view of siena! [my kids had a competition to see who could spot the ugliest baby - it kept them interested in visiting churches and galleries].
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 01:15 PM
nbujic

took the bus. no problem.

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for helping me ease my anxiety. You've helped me believe I can handle taking a bus.

Tania
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Tantia- I am not sure if you will check this again, but you want to take the bus. Unless things have changed in the last couple years, taking the train is less time effective because you need to still take a bus after you get off the train. There was a long wait and a very long line when we did it. We had to wait for another bus, which seemed forever, because there were so many people waiting for the bus into town.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

wondering, thanks for the tip. I think we will use the bus.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM

I say skip Sienna altogether and rent a car and go see Tuscany. The little hill towns are wonderful. Sienna is the 2nd most touristy place (after Florence) in Italy. IMO not worth it. If you're afraid of driving which you shouldn't be as it's as easy as driving in the countryside in most of the U.S. then hire a driver and get them to take you somewhere in southern Tuscany or worst case a day trip to Chianti or get on the train or bus in Florence which is as easy as pie and take it to the country. Try Montepulciano or Pienza or Montalcino... You'll love it. Sienna is another big town not much different from Florence these days and has loads of tourists. Get out and see a bit more of Italy...
Old Aug 9th, 2007, 11:09 AM

How much was the bus trip from Florence to Siena? Would you happen to know also how much the bus is from Florence to San Gimignano? Thanks
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM

ttt
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:49 PM

I don't believe it was more than 10 euros. Be sure to take the "Rapide."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -