"Winging it" in Madrid- Wknd trip report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We decided to go and "see what happened".
So the heat in August in Madrid lives up to its reputation! I had imagined Madrid to be fairly flat "plateau" etc. but it's not. Walking uphill was do-able but uncomfortable in 43oc temps.
Shopping- We were directed to Fuencarril, Hortaleza, malasana (the latter good for bars and going out however), but it was disappointing. Typical shopping around Gran Via and Sol. Sunday at the El Rastro market was slightly better, very crowded up the hilly main streets, but some great fleamarket bargains by going off onto the sidestreets with wares outside antique shops etc. I also recommend it for brunch, not refined dining but very good food and prices compared to anywhere else in the centre.
We took the tourbus one evening to get our bearings, which was finally breezy.
Sunday The Reina Sofia and Prado are free. RS shuts at 2.30, was worth going to see Guernica, however Miró and surrealists were more impressive. Also key pieces by Bridget Riley are there on temporary exhibit.
Really worth seeing was the photorealism by Richard Estes in the Thyssen (shuts late), quite nostalgic if you like americana.
The Prado was busy in the afternoon but nice for some classics.
I would recommend doing the three together as they are easily reached from one another.
We decided to go to see the Carmen flamenco (C/ San Geronimo) for the most typically Spanish experience. Nice small theatre, good seats and just what we had expected.

Madrid people are friendly and hospitable; I'd go back for the nightlife and the art but not for shopping.

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 02:18 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the report. I'll be in Madrid for two nights next week. I'm interested in the Carmen flamenco you mentioned, and couldn't find any reference by googling it. Are there shows every night? Do you have any more contact information? Web site? Other flamenco recommendations?

Hoping it isn't as hot next week. Checking the weather on line it seems predicted to be a bit less hot than what you experienced. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 03:04 AM

Hola

What sort of shopping were you after?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 04:02 AM

Too bad about the heat, I was just there in mid July and it was no where near that bad - highs in the low 30s/low 90s but definitly did cool down at night. I had heard it did not but it definitly did the week I was there. Nikki, it felt alot like Portugal last summer (the temps that is).

Of the three main museums, the Thyssen was definitly my favorite, one the best museums I've ever been in, so much more managable than the giants (Met, Louvre) but covers so many periods, and has great examples of each. You were lucky to get into the Estes exhibit, it was sold out when I tried. I agree with you that I didn't see any particularly exciting shopping in Madrid, all the usual.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

hi the flamenco was on c/san géronimo, close to Sol metro. tickets easy to get and good value (30 euro, every night im 90% sure, 15 euro on sundays). there were shows at 7pm and 9pm. 30 euro would have been worth the money (but we went sunday). It was like an over-the-top "latin love and jealousy" story but the flamenco dance AND the song/guitar were both memorably good and ambient.

we wanted alternative design/vintage shoes/clothing, we were pointed to specific shops/areas for both (by fashion designer friends no less!)but it was pretty fruitless.

Estes in the Thyssen was remarkable, I headed over to the prado after. my friend checked out the rest of thyss. and wasn't that plussed. Reina Sofia was my favourite. Never been that big on Miró-We now have to pencil in Miró foundation up at Möntjuic some day!

Didnt mind the heat, just the lack of compras! in rome in october, full shoe shop report to come. any tip-offs appreciated.