Bus or Train from Siena to Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that getting to the train station in Florence is difficult. Would it be easier just to take a bus? anyone have suggestions based on experience with this?

Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM

Santa Maria Novella is the main train station and is simple to get to. The bus to Siena is next to it so either way you need to get there.

What you may be thinking of is the train station in Siena. You have to take a bus from the train station in Siena to get to the walled city. The best way to go to Siena from Florence is to take the bus. It lets you off right at the wall.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 08:06 PM

eileenferrier,
The best (fastest, cheapest, most convienent) way to Florence from Siena is by bus.
The reason is no direct train service. Siena to Florence goes to Empoli first (not on the way), additionally the buses leave from the town while the train station is two kilometers outside of Siena. The bus and train station in Florence are next to each other.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:20 PM

Just returned from Italy and traveled from Siena to Florence by Sena bus. The bus station in Siena is centrally located on Piazza Gramsci and the station in Florence is parallel to the main train station. There are two buses an hour covering this route and tickets cost 5.5o euro each way. I did not take the train so I can't compare but I highly recommend taking the bus.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:35 PM

Some train trips from Florence to Siena require a change in Empoli and some do not. The Siena train station is outside the walled city and requires you to take a short taxi or city bus ride to get into the "city" itself.

The advantage of taking the train is probably more room to move around on the way and perhaps some better countryside views.