Florence Budget Hotels

Aug 20th, 2003, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Florence Budget Hotels

Looking for a great place to stay central Florence. Something that oozes charm, but doesn't break the bank (100EU). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

What gives? There must be something out there?
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:43 PM

Have you looked into convents or monasteries? I think those fall under your minimum.
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:45 PM

I would also like to hear of one. All we could find was 195 euros/night.
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:01 PM

Check out Rick Steves' books. He gives many low cost hotel suggestions with good descriptions.
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:07 PM

Hi hersch4,

We recently stayed in a wonderful apartment between San Lorenzo and the Duomo for 95 euro per night. I highly recommend it, and will be glad to answer any questions you have about it.

Check out sleepinginflorence.com. We stayed in the "Lepri Apartment."

Good luck!
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:14 PM

check out www.eurocheapo.com lots of places with charm in your price range.
Fluffy
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:20 PM

Hotel Bellitini, look in Fodors its a * hotel and close to 100.00Euros but with nice large rooms and wonderful breakfast, inc cappucinno, lots of fruit and chessed breads etc. We would stay here again.
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:24 PM

Statia, the Lepri apartment looks great! No bathroom in the photos, but I'm assuming there is one?

Can you tell me about the location?

Thanks!
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:25 PM

Try some text searches here. Type "florence AND hotel AND budget" into the box at the top of this page - you should come up with more info than you know what to do with.

Look at Rants & Raves here. Also at frommers.com, tripadvisor.com, and maybe some guidebooks.

Come back with a short list if you still have questions. There is plenty "out there", but people are more likely to help if you demonstrate that you've done a bit of the groundwork yourself.
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:46 PM

Hi - last year we stayed at the Piccolo Hotel in Via San Gallo. Very centrally located near the Duomo and the Markets and walking distance (even dragging suitcases) from the station and very clean. The lady on the desk (who I guess was the owner) was lovely and very helpful.

Breakfast was a continental style with fresh rolls, jams, yoghurts, cereal, juice and abundant coffee. This was the best breakfast of its type we had in our travels.

Our double room was large with a view of the garden and a massive bathroom by european standards.

I couldn't remember what we paid - however this was one of the cheapest hotels we stayed in Europe. I just checked their website and the prices they give are 85 - 130 Euro - though they are running a special at the moment of 75 Euro for a double room.

You can take a look at their website at
www.piccolohotelfirenze.com

I really think although it doesn't ooze charm it is charming and it certainly represents very good value for money, in a good, clean and friendly hotel.

Aug 20th, 2003, 04:53 PM

MelJ,

Yes, there is a bathroom....ha. It's on the first floor near the front door. The apartment has all modern conveniences in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. There is also adequate space for two persons. Actually, the whole building is pretty recently renovated and well lit, secure, etc.

The bedroom area, however, is on the second level in a loft. There is plenty of space up there, but we opted to make up the futon in the living room and slept very well there (even my 6'1" hubby). We just didn't want to navigate the stairs at night for water in the kitchen, or to use the bathroom. Also the A/C blew cooler in the living area, than in the bedroom.

There is also a nice, albeit small, sitting area in the loft that has a window facing the Duomo. And, we loved waking up to the sight of the dome of San Lorenzo thru our living window every morning by sleeping downstairs.

If you want more info, email Gianna, the owner. She's wonderful to work with and very prompt in replying. I will say that we really had everything we needed in that apartment, and the location was perfect (sans the many stairs up, but they gave us both exercise and no street noise at night). We would rent there again.

If you want more info on our thoughts on it, see my trip report at:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...t=0&dirtyBit=1

Aug 20th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Mel,

Forgot to add that Gianna will happily send you lots of photos of the apartment.
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:53 AM

try www.venere.com where you'll find all price ranges in all major Italian cities, usually with links to the hotel websites.