Florence as a base city

Search

Florence as a base city

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence as a base city

Is it with in reason to make Venice and Pisa day trips from Florence? I am thinking about making Florence my base and travel for the day to these cities. Anyone know how to do this and how much. Any recommendations on places (inexpensive) to stay in Florence
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 03:25 PM

i think many would agree that venice deserves much much MORE than a day trip...
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 03:31 PM

Any guidebook and/or map should answer your initial question. <BR><BR>I'm not a fan of Pisa, but it's an easy half-day trip via train from Florence. Florence is also a good base for day trips to Siena, Lucca, Orvieto, and other Tuscan cities within easy reach by train or bus. Venice is about 3 hours each way on the Eurostar, so although I suppose it's possible, it really doesn't make sence as a day trip from Florence. It deserves at least a couple of nights.<BR><BR>For hotels, see Rants &amp; Raves and do some text searching here &quot;hotel and florence&quot; to get many recommendations.
Old Feb 28th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Oops, make that &quot;sense&quot;....
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:19 AM
RAC

Pisa's doable as a day trip. Venice--no way.
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 10:54 AM
mjs

Florence is a reasonable base to explore Tuscany. You can easily take day trips to Pisa, Siena, Lucca etc by bus or train. The C.T. would be a long day trip and you would not have much time to explore the area. Venice is at least 3 hours by Eurostar and you could do a long day trip but I would advise against it. There is a train that leaves Florence around 0630 and gets into Venice about 1030 and I believe a return train at around 1830 which does not give you much time to explore Venice. Better to explore around Florence. Move yourself to Venice if you want to explore Venice. Do not have any inexpensive housing ideas. Cost would depend somewhat on when you plan to be in Florence. Would check out Rick Steve's, Lonely planet and Lets go guide books for reasonable places to stay and would book now if you are planning to go in the high season. An apartment may be a reasonable option if there is more than one person and you want to save money by eating in.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 01:33 AM

Although I agree with the other authors that Venice is no use for a day because there is so much to see, if you are in Italy and want to get a flavour of different places why not go for a day!!!. When we were in Florence a few years ago we took the early train to Venice, walked out of the train station onto the vaporetti (local boat that most people use) and in five minutes from leaving the train we were sailing up the Grand Canal to St Marks Square (about 30 minutes)- what an immense experience!! We wandered around St Marks and just took in the wonderful feeling of being in Venice and then took our time and casually walked back in the afternoon via the Rialto Bridge, etc to the train station for our trip back to Florence. We loved Venice so much that last year we went back for a week!! By all means go for a day to Venice - with a good pair of walking shoes!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 05:10 AM
ira

Hi <BR> I agree, Venice deserves more than just a day, but Isobel is right - Go!<BR><BR> You can check the train schedules at www.trenitalia.com.