Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

4 days in Florence! Too little, or too much?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be flying in from Frankfort to Florence for Spring Break/35th Wedding Anniversary Trip. We are booked at the Hotel Casci for 4 nights with 2 nights to spare. Please help us with an itinerary. We would like to see Pisa and Siena, if time permits.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 03:08 AM
rex

You livein Frankfort? Kentucky? Or in Frankfurt, Germany? Is this the entire trip? 6 nights? and you plan to do what with the other two nights? You can fill two and a half days in Florence, no problem. Half day to Pisa; one full day to Siena? When you ask for itinerary, is it for the other two nights? or a day plan for Florence? You do have a book or something for an overview of Florence, right? (otherwise, why would you be choosing to go there?)

If not, start with http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...on=florence@63 and get thee to yon bookstore or public library hence! Anon!

If the question is about logistics, then train to Pisa, but SITA bus to Siena.

I wonder if I am still misssing the question.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 03:34 AM

Hi Princess,

You could easily spend 4 days in Florence and not see it all. I would stay in Florence all 6 nights and do day trips to Siena and Pisa. They're both within an hour of Florence.

Another good and easy day trip from Florence is Lucca which you could probably do in conjunction with Pisa.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 03:52 AM

I don't like the city of Florence at all, so one day would be more than enough for me. But if you are really really a huge fan of Renaissance art and architecture, then I must grudgingly admit that it's the place to be. Even at that, you are wise to be planning lots of day trips if you're going to spend 4 nights in the place.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:13 AM

Rufus - I'm curious - what is it about Florence that so totally turns you off to an entire city?
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 04:38 AM

Princess -

Since you will be spending 4 nights in Florence, may I recommend the Museo di Storia della Scienza (Piazza dei Giudici, #1) as a place to visit - a smaller, less popular museum dedicated to the Arts and Sciences. In addition to all things scientific, you can also see Galileo's finger (preserved in a jar) as well as many of his experiments, which were pieces of artwork in themselves. It was a welcome break from looking at statues and paintings and frescoes, oh my! Enjoy your travels....Peace.

Robyn
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:05 AM
ira

Hi Princess,

4 nights in Florence is nice. Have you considered 2 nights in Venice?

You can also do day trips to Bologna and Orvieto.

You might find the Florence part of my trip report useful.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Florence--crowded, dirty, polluted, noisy, traffic. Much worse than Rome, probbably because Rome has a lot more to see and do that is spread out over a much wider area than Florence has.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Rufus - "Florence--crowded, dirty, polluted, noisy, traffic."

In several trips to Florence, this has never been my impression at all.

I'm curious as to where exactly you've stayed, and how many times you've been. And would be interested to know the same for Rome, since you felt so differently about that city, even though it is so much less pedestrianized.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 03:03 PM

Definitely not too much, at least in my opinion. I spent 5 nights in Florence (4 Florence/1 Siena day trip) and found it to be ideal for the art-lover in me. With 4 full days, I visited a wondrous number of museums, churches, gardens and palaces (with plenty of time for shopping, strolling and gelato too, of course!) Even if you tire of the city, there's so many lovely towns that are easily accessed (many mentioned above), you'll have good options for day trips. Must admit that as much as I loved Florence, by Day 5 I was ready for a little change!

You'll also really enjoy the hospitality at the Casci -- lovely family!
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM

I've also been to Florence 4 times, at various times during the year, varying from 1 day to a week. The 1 day visit was the least unpleasant. The second time I was convinced by someone that I should give Florence another chance. The last 2 times have not been by my choice.

Florence is one of the most polluted cities in Europe--that's documented. It also suffers from inversions, much like Denver and LA in the USA, compounding the air pollution problems. It also has one of the worst traffic situations in Italy--not opinion, but documented fact and one that the city has been struggling with for decades.

Finally, if you aren't a big fan of Renaissance art and architecture, then there isn't much of interest--in comparison to Rome, for instance.

I might be dragooned into going there again someday, but not without a struggle.

However, if you enjoy the city, then whatever I say is of no consequence. You should be glad a lot of people don't like the city--we won't add to the crowding, noise, and pollution.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:04 PM

We spent two days in Florence in 2002, and that was plenty for us. We loved the Uffizi, were happy to see Michelangelo's David and the Prisoners, and we were amazed by the Basilica of Santa Croce, where Machiavelli, Ghiberti, Michelangelo, Galileo, Rossini are buried.

However, the city itself held little charm for us. My overwhelming memory is of crowded, narrow, cobbled lanes, with the continual roar of vespas racing past.

We loved every place else in Spain, but 4 days would have been too much for us. I'd spend three nights in Florence and three in Sienna, or, with a car, two nights in Sienna and one in Assisi.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Obviously, I meant "We loved every place else in Italy.." Spain is this fall's trip, so it's constantly on my mind.